Passcode lock

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by xcissexc, Apr 3, 2008.

1. xcissexc

xcissexc New Member

i use passcode lock and have it set for every 4 hours. the problem is that it doesn't ask me for my passcode every 4 hours. sometimes it wants it less than every sometimes more than an hour and sometimes more than every 4 hours. does anyone else have that problem? and is there a solution to this?

2. michael180

michael180 Zealot
    Gold

Reset All Settings, would by my suggestion.

3. xcissexc

xcissexc New Member

tried that but i havnt given it enough time to see if it works yet. went to be right after i did the reset.

4. krasshoper

krasshoper New Member

Here is the story. My son was playing with my iPhone last night and set a password lock on my phone. Now I can not get into to it. Since he is four he did not even know what he did. So can anyone help me get into it? Will I lose all of my contacts and data on it?

Thanks in advance!

Sam

5. ravman

ravman Zealot
    Gold

If you don't know the 4 digit code, you're not going to be able to get in. That's the whole idea of the passcode lock.

You're going to have to perform a restore.

If you're brave enough, try this.

6. krasshoper

krasshoper New Member

Thanks! I guess I'll just restore it. I just did not want to lose all of my data and contacts.

7. bmargolis

bmargolis New Member
    Bronze

So... I HOPE a restore does not work. (sorry to the OP) If it did, what would prevent anyone from stealing an iPhone and doing a restore of their own? My desire would be to disable the phone entirely if a restore was attempted. Only Apple Support should be able to allow a restore or a password reset after true owner verification.

I understand that the true value of password protection is to keep data secure, but it could do so much more.

8. greenblink

greenblink New Member

Nice idea but not really workable. Apple wouldn't want all the extra work every time someone passes on an iPhone to someone else. And what about P&G iPhones, how would the owner be verified?

If you enter the passcode so many times wrong doesn't it wipe itself anyway?

9. ravman

ravman Zealot
    Gold

You can only restore from the computer the iPhone was last sync'd with. But there are ways around this. Stick the phone into DFU mode and restore etc.

But I understand what you are saying. Does make sense.

AT&T are not interested in lost/stolen phones. In Europe, they will actually block the IMEI and make the phone useless. But out here, they don't really seem to care. I once had a phone delivered to my place and the courier left it outside my door. I get home that evening and nothing there. I called AT&T and had to deal with their stupidity. The phone had clearly been stolen (DHL driver took it), as they told me the IMEI number was being used to access their system. When I asked them to block it, they wouldn't do that. In the end, I filed a CC dispute and only then did AT&T do something about sending me a replacement phone.

10. ravman

ravman Zealot
    Gold

Only if you turn that setting on.

11. greenblink

greenblink New Member

Man thats shocking. The UK government actually brought in a law that made all the networks here work together to block lost/stolen phones, so they have no choice. I think its because stealing cell phones was becoming the number 1 crime or something.

It is a shame they can't do more cos even when you IMEI block an iPhone someone still ends up with a nice iPod touch to play with.

12. greenblink

greenblink New Member

Ah ok. Thats enforced on my iPhone because I connect to my company Exchange.

13. flabyboy

flabyboy New Member

Anybody else notice that the only option available under passcode lock is immediately? I am also unable to turn off the erase all data from the iPhone after 10 tries. I previous had my phone set to lock with a password after 1 hour. This really sucks. I am going to be entering my password 20-30 times a day

14. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

I haven't changed mine since 3.0 beta 1, but mine is still set to 1 hour. Now I'm scared to check because I don't' want to loose that setting haha.

15. TAEWING59

TAEWING59 New Member
    Bronze

i can select any of the normal times, and turn off and on erase data after 10 tries

16. Adam1389

Adam1389 Member
    Silver

Same as Taewing, all the options are there for me too.

17. flabyboy

flabyboy New Member

My screenshot

IMG_0274.PNG

18. UFGator

UFGator New Member

Yeah. I have the same problem. I thought it was because I have my company's profile on my phone. I thought the profile was doing it. How come we have this problem and no one else does?

Picture.jpg Picture 001.jpg

19. flabyboy

flabyboy New Member

I am wondering if this is to tighten up security for corporate accounts.

20. Adam1389

Adam1389 Member
    Silver

Repost your screen shot, that one didn't work.