Password apps trustworthy or not?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by iQnote, Mar 6, 2014.

?

Why don't your trust a password app?

1. It may be hacked by others

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It may send the data to an unknown server

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Just don't need one

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. iQnote

iQnote New Member

Hi,

As you might know, I've made an app (Password Only) which is aiming to manage all user-generated passwords. It gains many users till now. However, some users doubt the security of this kind of apps. Therefore, I was wondering how many of you may trust a password manager app? What are your conterns if you have any?
    Please tell me your opinion in the replies. Thanks in advance!

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

For the most part, I believe these apps to be safe. But only if they require an 8 character or more password. It may not keep certain gov't agencies out, but would most people.

3. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I use one. I have to. Too many freakin passwords and logins to remember.

4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

We use 1Password which syncs through our Dropbox accounts for our iDevices and our computers.

5. radtechy

radtechy Contributor
    Bronze

But I have heard about a developer sticking a Trojan and getting the log I a from the cloud. This is what's stopping me from using one. I downloaded 1password when it was a free app of the day but I haven't touched it

6. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

I use mSecure. One of the reasons is that I don't feel comfortable with the cloud based services. It syncs through dropbox, but the file is encrypted with my key before it's sent to dropbox.

7. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

I have trust issues with password apps. The apps allow users to enter URLs, login credentials, account info, PIN, etc. How does one know that the app doesn't send that information to some Internet collection point? How does one know whether the claimed encryption is really as secure as it is said to be?

I have used password managers on office servers, and they have been set up to not allow access to the Internet. But you can't do that with an iPhone.

8. iQnote

iQnote New Member

Thank you. I quite agree with you

9. iQnote

iQnote New Member

Exactly! We're now in a sea of different passwords and logins and using the same password for all the accounts can be very dangerous. That's also why I think we need a password manager badly like Password Only. But some of the users kind of doubt the security of the app. :(

10. iQnote

iQnote New Member

So you believe 1Password is safe because it stores the data in your iDevices and computers other than some server?

11. iQnote

iQnote New Member

Really? I always thought Apple will be responsible for kicking the Trojan out of the app store...

12. iQnote

iQnote New Member

Thanks very much! I think you answered a lot of my questions. Maybe most people who don't trust a password app have the same conern. However, since I am an a developer too, I can say for sure developers are not able to sneak peek at the users passwords since all the encrypted data are user-generated. For example, if a user of Password Only forget his master password, then all his passwords are safe but gone forever.

13. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I use 1Password now and then, but I trust it, because it is a trusted developer. I would have a VERY hard time using a password app from anyone but a reputable developer/company...

14. iQnote

iQnote New Member

That's a good point! People always trust big names.

15. henery

henery New Member

Exactly! We're now in a sea of different passwords and logins and using the same password for all the accounts can be very dangerous. That's also why I think we need a password manager badly like Password Only. But some of the users kind of doubt the security of the app. :(

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use eWallet. It's highly-rated, password-protected and encrypted. It's not a one-password app; instead it allows you to make cards for each login you have. I have tons of logins and passwords and it allows me to manage them all very easily. You can set it up to sync with your other Apple devices via iCloud and/or sync with a Mac or PC. It's one of the best apps I've ever bought.

17. Kriss

Kriss Zealot
    Silver

Interesting thoughts here on this subject. I like Europa's idea of eWallet. the $9.99 price tag is a little steep for my tastes but if it's as good as all the reviews I'm sure it's worth it. Especially since I've been using SplashID Safe for many years. I paid much more for this program than eWallet. I neither like nor want their iCloud service since I found it to be very unreliable and came close to losing ALL my data. I keep it on my main computer and sync through wifi to all my devices whenever I feel the need. For the most part, it's been a reliable product.

18. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I use msecure.

19. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I use 1Password for most of my passwords and codes. But my bank accounts, PayPal, Amazon and etc I don't keep on my phone. I have those memorized and they're safe elsewhere.

20. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I fully trust 1Password, but it's an expensive option to sync with Mac, iPhone, and iPad. The Mac app alone is $50. I was really hoping iCloud Keychain offered similar features, but it sadly doesn't...