Password/disable on 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone 3GS' started by Little-Acorn, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

I bought a used iPhone 3GS, and overall it works great.

But when I try to put a new app on it, it asks me for a password! Apparently the previous owner set it up with his own password.

Is there any way I can get it to stop that? Would a reset work?

If I can get hold of the previous owner and he helps me out with the password, how do I then get it to stop asking for passwords at all? I'll probably (later) set it up with my own. But for now, if I can get the old password, how do I get it to stop?

Thanks all!

2. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Is it asking for an Apple iTunes password?
    You have to have that password or set up your own Apple ID and password (it's free and can be done on their website) to download apps. Even free ones.

3. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Did the previous owner sell it to you with App Store apps on it? If so, you won't be able to add any new apps if you want to keep the apps that are currently installed. If you get your own account, the apps that are currently on it will disappear when you sync the phone. I strongly recommend getting your own account. He probably isn't going to give you his password, and he'd have to be foolish to do so because you'd be able to purchase apps with his credit card or gift cards that's on file. For security reasons it will always ask for a password before purchasing apps.

4. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Well, I'm getting the idea. Thanks for the help!

So, just now I set up my own iTunes account, verified my Apple ID, the whole thing. So now I'm legal! I think.

I had the iPhone plugged into the computer I was doing this on, all the while. But now, when I try to download an app, it still asks for the previous owner's password! At least, it has his email address displayed, not mine, and I can't see how to get rid of his and put mine in.

Any suggestions?

(for one thing, how do I sync the phone?)

(Hope I'm not looking too stupid here, but if I am so be it!)

5. Little-Acorn

Little-Acorn Member
    Bronze

Sure enough, it was an iTunes password it was looking for.

After the last message, I probed around on the 3GS and finally found where I could put in a new Apple ID. Did so, and now it lets me download apps from the apps store. I'm sure it would graciously allow me to pay money for non-free ones, too, dontcha know. But so far I've done about four free ones, and that's it so far.