Password for Previously Downloaded Apps?

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by iprncess, Jan 11, 2014.

1. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

My sons phone is asking him for a password when he tries to download old apps. It's never done this before.

Anyone know why?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

How many have done that way?

3. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

Several. They never use to. Mine doesn't and neither does my other sons iPod.

4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I had one app that updated for iOS 7, but it was a new app. My old one quit working. It had been a free app. The new one became a paid app, so I no longer had it. When I attempted to download it, it asked for my password. Anything I download from my purchased list do not ask for a password. Some older apps may have updated and require that. Makes no sense though. Does it ask to pay for it?

5. RBNetEngr

RBNetEngr Contributor
    Bronze

iTunes will prompt you for your password before it allows you to download anything, even apps you previously purchased, and are downloading again from ICloud. That's normal.

6. iprncess

iprncess Member
    Bronze

Actually that's not true.

It doesn't do it for my phone or my sons iPod. We went to Apple and they figured out it was something in the restrictions I'd inadvertently turned on. It's fixed now.

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

iTunes never asks me for a password when downloading from my purchased list.

8. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'm never asked for my password when downloading previously purchased apps from the cloud.

9. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I think this changed in iOS 6 or 7 when the cloud logo appeared next to apps that were already associated with your Apple ID. Before this, you'd have to enter your password for everything. Sounds like the OP got to the root of the problem here... Although a bit more of a hassle, I'm never nervous when my phone asks me for my password. It's a great security measure.