Password for voicemail? When did this start?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Terry M., Oct 1, 2012.

1. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Got the 5 now and I'm seeing this pop up that says my password is incorrect. I've decided to NOT use a password so I just hit cancel, but it's coming up a lot and not just in the voicemail screen. Sometimes it's popping up in any of the phone screens.
    When did Apple start using this? Anyone help me out in avoiding it? Yeah, I'm lazy vs. simply hitting cancel, but it's becoming annoying.

Thanks.

2. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Here's a pic:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using iCafe app

Attached Files:

3. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

I also have not gotten any new voicemails yet. Maybe I should call ATT?

4. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot
    Gold

I think you have to enter it one time on a new phone & then you're good.

5. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

on the phone with them now. She had to reset something and had me set my voice mail back up again. Seems to work. Had three vm's out there.

6. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Let's see. Password for voicemail on iPhone? That started in 2007. Password for voicemail on any phone? How about 1988, or whenever the first cell phone came out. It is so automatic that no one remembers. And it is a carrier password not a device password.

7. ZipZap

ZipZap Member
    Silver

Its the PIN number for your voicemail. Apple still have not fixed their update process to save that information.

8. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

Really? The reason I asked is because in 3 years of having an iPhone (and At&t) I've never had to enter this password before. Never. So yeah, it through me off.

9. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

Yup did you setup as new

10. Terry M.

Terry M. Contributor
    Silver

No..... wait. Maybe. I had a heck of a time getting switched over to the "5" this time as opposed to the last two times I've done it. I say maybe because I was screwing around with it all day this past Friday. Nothing would sync, etc. I tried to NOT setup as new but that may have been the problem.

*edit* Come to think of it, I was going on 2 hours of sleep and after being up 22 hours straight. Might not have been my best idea.

11. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

I didn't set up as new when I got my 5 and had to re-enter my vm password. Small glitch in the update. No biggee. Maybe due to a new SIM card?

12. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I had the same alert with my 5 and do recall it also on my 4 when I set it up. The initial password was the last 4 digits on your cell number if I remember correctly.