Password Keeper type app?

cman6453

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I need an app that will keep all of my passwords both for easy access and added security if I should lose my iPhone. Anyone know of one they can recommend?

Last edited by a moderator:

macinnw

Jun 2, 2007
Anyone know of one or can make one up?
I'm hoping that DataViz ports theirs over from Mac/Palm to Mac/iPhone. I know it works with the first combo as that is what i use for a huge amount of passwords and info, but it uses Palm HotSync to get it over to the Palm hardware. I have been using it for about 4-5years and love it.

They also have a Windows version. So i hope they port over both versions.

iJohn

Bronze
Jun 21, 2007
Long Island, NY
johnburke.tumblr.com
If something like this is going to be available I hope it comes from Apple in the form of a actual app. I have a problem giving all my passwords to some website.

macinnw

Jun 2, 2007
If something like this is going to be available I hope it comes from Apple in the form of a actual app. I have a problem giving all my passwords to some website.
DataVis' Password Plus is a freestanding app, not a website. It is 148-bit encrypted and resides on your hardware and will sync between one or more. I have it sync'd between my home Mac G4 desktop and my Palm Treo.

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
So in the interim, has anyone come up with a solution/workaround for this? I've been using SplashID which is great, syncs with Mac and Treo. I don't really care if the solution syncs with my Mac, i've already got this info on there. I would like some sort of solution for my iPhone though. I am able to export the list from SplashID into a comma delimeted (sp?) file. I just can't figure out how to get it onto the phone. I could email it, but i don't like to store emails on the phone. If there was a way to get it onto the notes app (outside of typing all the info again) I could be happy with that. Can anyone think of a solution? I too am not real thrilled about putting this info into a web based app.
Thanks

tortilla

Jul 1, 2007
www.iphonetypingtest.com
So in the interim, has anyone come up with a solution/workaround for this? I've been using SplashID which is great, syncs with Mac and Treo. I don't really care if the solution syncs with my Mac, i've already got this info on there. I would like some sort of solution for my iPhone though. I am able to export the list from SplashID into a comma delimeted (sp?) file. I just can't figure out how to get it onto the phone. I could email it, but i don't like to store emails on the phone. If there was a way to get it onto the notes app (outside of typing all the info again) I could be happy with that. Can anyone think of a solution? I too am not real thrilled about putting this info into a web based app.
Thanks

I used SplashID with my Treo and it worked really well. Unless Apple makes one or allows 3rd party development, I don't think there's a good solution.

You could put some passwords in a Gmail account (one that you don't check with the iPhone's Mail app) and check it through the web browser. If you're not comfortable storing passwords on a website, you could always use some type of code or system only you understand.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I wish Apple made some sort of app like this I mean I would never give my information to a website for a webapp lol.. maybe if Apple owned it..

Why can't Apple just activate an iPhone version of Keychain? However the one I use the most is an open source program called KeePass and KeePassX on OSX. It doesn't require some addition "Qt" (that's not QuickTime is some kind of gui stuff) but it will work on OSX, Linux and Windows of course it would require some cut and paste feature. I have made a big habit of using strong passwords (usually very long and a combo of non word letter and number and othe symbol combos.

This is the one major feature I want to see Apple implement unless of course they can take the human pointing device further and use my finger print.

twindc23

Bronze
Jan 10, 2007
I use eWallet for my passwords/accounts that syncs with my pc and treo 650
Works really well. I hope the port over a iPhone version.

iLawyer

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Jersey
Waiting

I can't wait for a password keeper app, kind of like Splash ID for the treo. I am sick of keeping my treo around simply for my passwords. And for the record, I had to buy another iPhone because my first one broke. The ear speaker would not work on calls. You could not hear the person or the ring with your ear to the phone. I could only communicate via speakerphone or bluetooth. Strange.

philg

Jul 4, 2007
I am thinking about using Glide. i can do a document on the Mac and sync it to my Glide account. then i can access it through Safari on the phone.

Security isn't great but at least it is password protected.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Keychain would be great (for you non-Mac types, it's what OS X uses to allow one password to block or give access to your list of passwords for all things on the Mac... web pages, servers, etc).

But if they create a password protected password list (not otherwise integrated with the other apps to allow them to enter passwords automatically), I'd prefer it to be one more general app that can be used for many things, rather than a password protected text document.

I use MobileDB on my Palm T|X for passwords. My passwords database is password protected, my other databases (which are functionally equivalent to Excel spreadsheets really) aren't password protected, so I can use that one app for various things, rather than having several apps required to do specific things.

So a text app, spreadsheet app, or database app that has the option to password protect a document would all be better than a specific password app.

You'd get a lot more functionality, while still getting the specific password list app you also want.

TechnoDoc

Jul 2, 2007
This is one of my top requests as well. I switched from a Treo to the iPhone, and SplashID is probably the app I miss the most.

Flyinb

Jul 9, 2007
www.400N.com
The only thing you can do now, is convert them to a .doc or .pdf them email it to your iPhone.

Its not an app but its a way to at least carry them with you, I have RoBo Form and thats what I did.

Quilliam

Jul 8, 2007
I used ewallet on my old phone.

Obviously it won't work on the iPhone. But I think this is a vital type app to have for most people that travel or do businesss.

I am thinking I might just have to make a contact for each password, and hope that my pin is enough if it ever gets stolen :(

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
I wanted to see if I could password protect a Word Doc file so I can save passwords and stuff like that but couldnt open it.

twindc23

Bronze
Jan 10, 2007
I emailed iliumsoft who makes ewallet and asked them if they will make an iPhone version. this is what they had to say about it:

---------------------
Hello,

Thank you for contacting Ilium Software. We think the iPhone is a fantastic device and have plans for it in the future. Unfortunately, I don't have more that I can say about it at this time!

Thanks again for contacting us and feel free to contact me if you have any other questions,

Kevin White
Ilium Software
--------------------
info@iliumsoft.com
+1 (734) 973-9388
---------------------
web: http://www.iliumsoft.com/
news: http://news.iliumsoft.com/
company blog: http://blog.iliumsoft.com/
----------------

I guess we will just have to wait. eWallet is by far the best Ive tried.

alb0zf1n3st

Silver
Jul 2, 2007
hmm.. i wish somone or even just Apple makes an application for this ... i used password keeper for blackberry for all my info

macinnw

Jun 2, 2007
I emailed iliumsoft who makes ewallet and asked them if they will make an iPhone version. this is what they had to say about it:
My preference is Password Plus from DataViz with Mac, Windows and Palm versions, but currently no iPhone version. Their reply was about the same, no comment at the present.

thegasguru

Bronze
Jun 27, 2007
Here's the workaround for being able to store/sync your eWallet or Splash ID info on your iPhone:

Create a dummy contact, and put the info in the "notes" field of that contact. No, it won't be encrypted/password protected like it is in eWallet, but at least you can have syncable info on your iPhone.