Password popup

Nov 19, 2014
I have the touch ID on and so when I Press the home button it checks my fingerprint and let's me in. But very frequently there's a pop-up to enter my Apple ID. What good is the finger ID if I have to continually enter my Apple ID?

silvermoon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 17, 2013
Washington
I have the touch ID on and so when I Press the home button it checks my fingerprint and let's me in. But very frequently there's a pop-up to enter my Apple ID. What good is the finger ID if I have to continually enter my Apple ID?
It should only prompt you to enter your Apple ID password if you reset the phone. Otherwise, you should be able to use your Touch ID for unlocking and downloading apps.

Nov 19, 2014
Now I'm familiar with the need to manually out your code in when you do a reset. But this comes up at any time. Now it's the Apple ID that it's asking for. Is there something that requires this all the time?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Have you signed into iTunes and downloaded content with more than one Apple ID? Does this popup occur at the lock screen or on the home screen? I've had it appear on the home screen a few times for no apparent reason, but it hasn't done so in a few weeks. Have you recently reset your settings?

Ledsteplin

Genius
Gold
Oct 29, 2013
Florence, AL
I had a recurring pop up that started after I changed my Apple email ID. It turned out I had not changed it in FaceTime. So be sure you're signed in to iCloud, iMessage and FaceTime.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
I just found this comment on a Mac Forum

"With all of my Macs, I've always updated to a newer version with my Apple ID, but haven't had the opportunity to update to a point release.

With all versions of OS X now coming through the App Store, it is tied to your Apple ID. I believe the App Store gives you the option to tie your Apple ID to the existing installation. I know I had to do this for the pre-installed Pages/Numbers/Keynote installations on my rMBP when I got it to be able to update them.

When that connection is made, the updates to OS X should be fine with your Apple ID."

This might be relevant to the OP's problem.