Password Question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

insocal

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
The feature to PASSWORD LOCK your iPhone...I only use it sometimes, very rarely. I was wondering, if someone ended up setting a password on MY iPhone, how would I change it? Or unlock the iPhone? Obviously this is assuming they don't remember what they typed because they were messing around or whatever. Anyway, it's just a hypothetical...just hoping there is a solution besides having to get to my own iTunes and do a complete RESTORE. I don't think it's possible to have my preferred password stored unless the feature is actually being used.
Thanks!

kcarr91

Bronze
Apr 14, 2007
if you lock it and for get the password the next time you plug it in to your computer (you don't have to restore) it will unlock i remember this from the fingertips videos i think

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
if you lock it and for get the password the next time you plug it in to your computer (you don't have to restore) it will unlock i remember this from the fingertips videos i think
That may be the case, but just unlocking the phone by plugging it into a computer won't prevent it from locking again. If he doesn't know the password, he's right back where he started once he unplugs it. Unless you know the existing password, I'm pretty sure you can't change it to a new one.

Given the fact that the iPhone backs itself up to iTunes and has the ability to restore previous setting, it sounds like it could get pretty complicated if someone forgot their password. If the password was too easy to circumvent, it would really defeat the whole purpose of having one in the first place. The moral of the story: remember your password. ;)

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
That may be the case, but just unlocking the phone by plugging it into a computer won't prevent it from locking again. If he doesn't know the password, he's right back where he started once he unplugs it. Unless you know the existing password, I'm pretty sure you can't change it to a new one.

Given the fact that the iPhone backs itself up to iTunes and has the ability to restore previous setting, it sounds like it could get pretty complicated if someone forgot their password. If the password was too easy to circumvent, it would really defeat the whole purpose of having one in the first place. The moral of the story: remember your password. ;)
I don't know if the iPhone does this (I hope it does) but Treos will lockdown if an incorrect password is entered x number of times (don't recall what x is). Only way to unlock it after that is via a hard reset (wipes user data).

Anyone know if the iPhone works like this? (Don't feel like testing it at the moment.)

--
Mike

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
I don't know if the iPhone does this (I hope it does) but Treos will lockdown if an incorrect password is entered x number of times (don't recall what x is). Only way to unlock it after that is via a hard reset (wipes user data).

Anyone know if the iPhone works like this? (Don't feel like testing it at the moment.)

--
Mike
I'm guessing it would work as long as you don't have iTunes set to restore the iPhone upon syncing. The password would probably be the kind of thing to be restored.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I'm guessing it would work as long as you don't have iTunes set to restore the iPhone upon syncing. The password would probably be the kind of thing to be restored.
I would test this but don't want to encounter some sort of lockout that can only be remedied by Apple. Again, what I'm referring to is if you enter the wrong passcode too many times and the iPhone then locks to the point that you cannot even attempt entering a passcode any longer (to prevent someone from using brute force to figure out the passcode).

--
Mike

insocal

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
Sorry,
I think I'm not being clear on the possible issue.
I would LOVE to be able to lave my own password be on the iPhone at all times but it doesn't seem possible. The only way to even enter the password is if you use the PASSCODE LOCK feature. That is when it asks you to type a password twice.
I'm simply saying that if someone were to type in some password while the iPhone was out of my possession (I know, God forbid! HA!) then it would seem that I would be locked out of my own iPhone. Correct?

What would you do in this situation?

Again, if there is some way to store my own password on the iPhone at all times and NOT have to have the LOCK feature activate, that would be great. But I'm not sure that there is...

Thanks!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Sorry,
I think I'm not being clear on the possible issue.
I would LOVE to be able to lave my own password be on the iPhone at all times but it doesn't seem possible. The only way to even enter the password is if you use the PASSCODE LOCK feature. That is when it asks you to type a password twice.
I'm simply saying that if someone were to type in some password while the iPhone was out of my possession (I know, God forbid! HA!) then it would seem that I would be locked out of my own iPhone. Correct?

What would you do in this situation?

Again, if there is some way to store my own password on the iPhone at all times and NOT have to have the LOCK feature activate, that would be great. But I'm not sure that there is...

Thanks!
No you cannot do this. I can somewhat understand why: it might be too easy to forget the passcode if it wasn't being used.

That said my (Palm OS) Treo allows you to set the "passcode" (called password on Treo) yet not autolock the device. Once that password is set you can't do anything on the locking screen without knowing the existing password. It also allows you to manually lock the Treo, should you desire (without turning on autolock). But better yet it allows you to autolock never, on power off, at a preset time each day, or after a preset delay (you can enter any delay you like, not just 1 minute like the iPhone offers). It would be nice if Apple took a look at how the Treo does it. But I digress...

In your case, if you suspect a friend would go as far as setting a password on your iPhone, in effect locking you out of it, then my advice would be to simply not let anyone use it. If you fear someone will just pick it up and use it anyway, then you will have to get used to leaving autolock on (and when I write autolock I mean passcode autolock).

--
Mike

insocal

Bronze
Jun 25, 2007
No you cannot do this. I can somewhat understand why: it might be too easy to forget the passcode if it wasn't being used.

That said my (Palm OS) Treo allows you to set the "passcode" (called password on Treo) yet not autolock the device. Once that password is set you can't do anything on the locking screen without knowing the existing password. It also allows you to manually lock the Treo, should you desire (without turning on autolock). But better yet it allows you to autolock never, on power off, at a preset time each day, or after a preset delay (you can enter any delay you like, not just 1 minute like the iPhone offers). It would be nice if Apple took a look at how the Treo does it. But I digress...

In your case, if you suspect a friend would go as far as setting a password on your iPhone, in effect locking you out of it, then my advice would be to simply not let anyone use it. If you fear someone will just pick it up and use it anyway, then you will have to get used to leaving autolock on (and when I write autolock I mean passcode autolock).

--
Mike
Thank you for deciphering what I meant! HA! Appreciate it!
Have a good weekend.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Just to update this thread the iPhone 1.01 update does change passcode behavior...

Now if you set a passcode you don't have to have passcode autolock active. But you will need the passcode to get back into the passcode settings screen. Prior to the update if you turned off passcode autolock your passcode was erased entirely.

So now the OP can set a passcode but not use it for autolock, and not worry about a friend accidentally setting a passcode. If that makes sense.

--
Mike

Alexander

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
I was fooling around and after the 3rd time or so it locked the PHONE service for 5 minutes, then 10 minutes, then 15 minutes. After that I stopped, so I'm unsure if it continues in a pattern or just locks it out completely.