Patch brings Handoff/Instant Hotspot/AirDrop features to older Macs

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
It seems that certain Macintoshes that technically are able to handle the Yosemite/iOS 8 "Continuity" feature set just fine were not invited to the party intentionally by Apple, for reasons unknown, but users on certain Mactintosh-oriented websites are already suggesting planned obsolescence (and I'm inclined to agree).

The new "Continuity Activation Tool" created by "dokterdok" has been made available on GitHub (along with instructions) and aims to allow a greater part of the Macintosh community to take advantage of Continuity features.

Here is the list of Mac models that will benefit from this patch. You can find this same list if you follow the link above. I'm only including the list here to save you the trouble of clicking if your machine will not benefit from the patch. Note that certain models require certain hardware changes before the patch will work.

compat.png

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
UPDATE: A well-known Mac rumors site includes this warning with their article on this patch:

"Users should exercise caution when using the Continuity Activation Tool, as it moves around low level files and there's a possibility it could cause problems. A backup is recommended before attempting to install the tool."
Suggestion for a backup program besides what you can buy for Mac?

Rafagon

Genius
Gold
Dec 7, 2011
Miami, Florida
Suggestion for a backup program besides what you can buy for Mac?
I've never used anything other than Time Machine, and I backup to my old Time Capsule hard drive (it's older than my 2009 iMac). I don't let it run constantly—I backup infrequently (about once a month).

I defer to someone with more experience on Mac backups than me. :)

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
I've never used anything other than Time Machine, and I backup to my old Time Capsule hard drive (it's older than my 2009 iMac). I don't let it run constantly—I backup infrequently (about once a month).

I defer to someone with more experience on Mac backups than me. :)
I may just go for it and hope for the best. :D

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
Really? This is BS. In order to use AirDrop I need to download some other questionable application, that has all kinds of warnings, etc. I can't use AirDrop on my mid-2011 Mini with all the latest Yosemite OS. Tell me I am reading this post wrong!!