Patch brings Handoff/Instant Hotspot/AirDrop features to older Macs

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by Rafagon, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

It seems that certain Macintoshes that technically are able to handle the Yosemite/iOS 8 "Continuity" feature set just fine were not invited to the party intentionally by Apple, for reasons unknown, but users on certain Mactintosh-oriented websites are already suggesting planned obsolescence (and I'm inclined to agree).

The new "Continuity Activation Tool" created by "dokterdok" has been made available on GitHub (along with instructions) and aims to allow a greater part of the Macintosh community to take advantage of Continuity features.

Here is the list of Mac models that will benefit from this patch. You can find this same list if you follow the link above. I'm only including the list here to save you the trouble of clicking if your machine will not benefit from the patch. Note that certain models require certain hardware changes before the patch will work.

compat.png

#1 Rafagon, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I shall try this when I get to my Mac. :)

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

UPDATE: A well-known Mac rumors site includes this warning with their article on this patch:

"Users should exercise caution when using the Continuity Activation Tool, as it moves around low level files and there's a possibility it could cause problems. A backup is recommended before attempting to install the tool."

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Suggestion for a backup program besides what you can buy for Mac?

5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I've never used anything other than Time Machine, and I backup to my old Time Capsule hard drive (it's older than my 2009 iMac). I don't let it run constantly—I backup infrequently (about once a month).

I defer to someone with more experience on Mac backups than me. :)

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I may just go for it and hope for the best. :D

7. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Verifying Mac model reference... OK

Verifying OS X version... OK

Verifying Bluetooth hardware... NOT OK. Incompatible Bluetooth hardware detected. LMP Version=4, but expected 6 (Bluetooth 4.0 LE). Aborting.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Did you check to see whether your machine was listed in the table as needing a hardware change?

For reference, here's the table again:

compat.png

9. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Oh I missed that part. I need a new wireless card. It's not worth it though.

10. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That's why I'm not even bothering. Even if the part is cheap, I'd have to find someone to do the work for me. I don't know how to open my iMac and even if I did, I really have no desire to go poking around in there.

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Really? This is BS. In order to use AirDrop I need to download some other questionable application, that has all kinds of warnings, etc. I can't use AirDrop on my mid-2011 Mini with all the latest Yosemite OS. Tell me I am reading this post wrong!!

12. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Continuity Activation Tool 2.0 was released on December 14th, bringing the ability to use OS X Yosemite's Continuity features to even older Macs than before. You can refer to this chart to see your available upgrade options:

continuity-activation-tool-2.0-compatibility-list-macs.png

Chart - Appendix A

220px-Macintosh_128k_transparency.png NO

250px-MacII.jpg NO