Patch for message bug?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
The bug/glitch is new, at least to me and the internet, that I don't see a Cydia fix for it coming out. Apple is aware of it though and will get down to the bottom of it hopefully for the next iOS update. I am reading online that "Owners can prevent the problem by using settings to turn off message previews." Also turn off notifications for messages, such as notification banners as the characters will trigger it. However, I hope you don't know people who would continue to send it to you. People are, though, using it now as a prank.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/software-glitch-cause-iphones-crash-193849793.html?.tsrc=applewf

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
The bug/glitch is new, at least to me and the internet, that I don't see a Cydia fix for it coming out. Apple is aware of it though and will get down to the bottom of it hopefully for the next iOS update. I am reading online that "Owners can prevent the problem by using settings to turn off message previews." Also turn off notifications for messages, such as notification banners as the characters will trigger it. However, I hope you don't know people who would continue to send it to you. People are, though, using it now as a prank.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/software-glitch-cause-iphones-crash-193849793.html?.tsrc=applewf
It's not new bug. It has been around since iOS 6. The problem is with the way banner notifications process the Unicode text. The banner attempts to show the incoming text and then gives up, which results in the crash.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
It's not new bug. It has been around since iOS 6. The problem is with the way banner notifications process the Unicode text. The banner attempts to show the incoming text and then gives up, which results in the crash.
I apologize for not seeing/realizing it has been around since iOS 6. From my experience, I have not seen this glitch anywhere online etc until now. As for how it occurs, it is interesting. Is it only this language coding, or could it also be another code that the banner is not able to show, and it crashes the device?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I apologize for not seeing/realizing it has been around since iOS 6. From my experience, I have not seen this glitch anywhere online etc until now. As for how it occurs, it is interesting. Is it only this language coding, or could it also be another code that the banner is not able to show, and it crashes the device?
Other malicious texts could exploit this bug as well. Someone just recently figured out the one that is currently circulating on the Internet.