Patent: Multisided Full Screen Touch iPod

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Lob

Bronze
Jan 22, 2007
Glastonbury, CT
A new patent applicaton from Apple which explores the possibility of seperating the display from the touch interface by placing the touch screen interface on the back of the device.

Apple describes the problems related to the use of a touch interface screen in the more traditional screen + touch interface together. The problems include obscuring the screen with your hand and introducing smudges onto the screen.

Instead the use of "back side touch" would eliminate these issues but still provide user interface feedback with the use of an on-screen cursor which identifies where the touch-interface is being used.

More specifically, a force-sensitive touch-surface is provided on a first or back-side surface of the device through which a user provides input (e.g., cursor manipulation and control element selection/activation)," the company wrote. "On a second or front-side surface, a display element is used to present one or more control elements and a cursor that is controlled through manipulation of the back-side touch-surface.

The patent is credited to John Elias who was one of the founders of Fingerworks, a company who had done much work in the field of touch-interfaces. Apple acquired Fingerworks in 2005.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
It's a unique idea. I can't imagine being able to hold the device without touching the back side though, and it would be a bit fidelity trying to guess where exatly your finger is.

But if Apple does it they would find a way to make it work.

wot_fan

Silver
Mar 7, 2007
Chicagoland
web.mac.com
This may be Apple's answer for the people who have complained that they will not be able to pause/FF/RW the iPod in the iPhone when it is in their pocket. I would imagine that the buttons on the back would only be functional when the screen is off.

May 6, 2007
United States
It's a unique idea. I can't imagine being able to hold the device without touching the back side though, and it would be a bit fidelity trying to guess where exatly your finger is.

But if Apple does it they would find a way to make it work.

Well said. It seems like a cool idea in a weird way. With any other company, I don't think it would work. Apple, on the other hand, is so innovative that I think they could do a good job. iPhone v.2 with this, anyone? :D

I like it just how it is at the moment though.

STNLESS

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
How the iPhone Screen works

The patent for Apple is credited to John Elias who was one of the founders of Fingerworks, a company who had done much work in the field of touch-interfaces. Apple acquired Fingerworks in 2005.
Fingerworks was started by John Elias and Wayne Westerman. Wayne Westerman has published his 1999 U of Delaware PhD Dissertation,
"Hand Tracking, Finger Identification, and Chordic Manipulation on a Multi-Touch Surface" in both PDF and PS formats. This is the technology used for developing the iPhone screen.