Pay for ring tones?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Will you pay $1.00 or more for a ring tone on iTunes?

• Total voters

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
In the LA Times today, several sources say that Apple will start selling ring tones on iTunes for more than the songs themselves!

The two executives and a third said they expected Jobs to announce a system for bringing ring tones to iPhone users. Ring tones -- the sounds produced when mobile calls are received -- have provided an unexpected financial boon for the troubled recording industry.

Users of Apple's iTunes digital store will be able to order a ring tone and then load it from their computer onto the iPhone, the executives said. Exact pricing could not be determined, but songs that can be used as ring tones are likely to cost slightly more than regular digital songs.

What do you think? Are you willing to pay $1.00 or more for a ring tone based on a song? (Not even getting into the argument that we can make our own for free.)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
For arguments sake, let's say that 10 ringtones would be a nice number of ringtones for most people to customize their iPhone. Add in the ease of use of iTunes, instant availability within your iPhone and possibly wireless downloading. Total cost $10.

Sounds like a lot when you considering the individual price, but not so much for those who only need a few custom ringtones and do not want the trouble of customizing their own.

These will also be optimized for the iPhone. I'm curious to see if they are preset snippets or if you get to choose the clip ala iPhoneRingtoneMaker.

-Chris

Last edited:

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
A tech rep. at Apple told me the same thing... that Apple was going to start selling ringtones....I was livid... My reply on this is... We pay $500 to $600 for a phone and Apple has the audacity to ask for payment for a lousy ring-tone... Not me I won't be giving Apple any money for a ringtone or wallpaper or anything else until they give a substantial software up grade to this phone to add features that are pretty much "standard" on most phones... This sort of news leaves a "sour Apple" taste in my mouth!:mad:

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
What if they offered a way to put "your" ringtones on the iPhone giving you the choice to purchase their what I'll call optimized ringtones. (perfect length, sound,etc.)

If they offered free ringtones, wouldn't that open them up to copyright issues with the artists. Let's say you want a Beyonce ringtone, doesn't Beyonce get a cut of that?

Don't most of the wireless companies charge for ringtones?

Silverado

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
I've never bought a ring tone in my life, nor do I install free ones... All I need is for the phone to make a sound that doesn't make me want to smash it or is embarrassing, and I usually find one built in :)

I can't believe how big of a deal this is to people :) How come you can live with your home phones without customizable ring tones?

Paul830

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I like to know who's calling by ring-tone when the phone is in my pocket. Motorola software allowes you to customize your own ring tones, pictures, manage your contacts on your PC, sync etc.. and down load them to your phone. I'm not saying that Motorola can even come close to what we have in the iPhone...not by a long shot... I also would like to be albe to change the tones for all the features. i.e. mail, new voice mail, new text message etc. Apple should allow people to at least change these sounds to suit their needs. The overall volume of these alerts are so soft that I can't even hear them. In addition, IMHO, there needs to be some audio alert at intervals to let you know you have missed a call... with the current set up, you have to "wake" the phone up to know if you have missed a call. My other phones could be set to "beep" every couple of minutes to alert you of a missed phone call. I know there are copyrights to consider, however, at the price point of this phone, the least Apple could do is to offer 10 or so free custom ringtones... Let's face it we've paid up-wards of $600.00 for this phone... surely Apple can "throw us a bone" until they give us some substantial software updates... like cut/paste, e-mail select and delete, flash, etc. Thanks, Paul

Apr 9, 2007
I'd pay in a heartbeat( hint Apple) . I had gone through this modding phase with my Q and have vowed to leave my iPhone stock.Ill pay for ringtones as well as special wallpapers if I find something I like. I don't see it any different since I pay iTunes for songs already. No bricks for me.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Here's another article on this.

I never would have considered $1 too much for a ring tone, except when someone pointed out, your paying the same, or more for PART of a song. Then that kinda blew my mind at the stupid dollars I've spent over the years on ring tones. I came across this program today:

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/iToner/

They claim that this is not a hack, and that it doesn't interfere with future Apple updates... $15 for this program, but this may be worth it, imo. Future updates should include being able to crop the song, but for now it seems you can only drag and drop.

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Chris, I can understand the $10 for 10 ring tone argument. But, it still irks me.

How awesome would it be if VNotes had a function of converting what you recorded into a ring tone?! :cool: I mean, Paul, you could have your friends record their voices and make them ring tones. Like your mother screamin, "Answer the phone, Paul!" :laugh2: I already have pics of my friends, coworkers, even my boss, flipping me off as my incoming phone call pictures!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Chris, I can understand the $10 for 10 ring tone argument. But, it still irks me.

How awesome would it be if VNotes had a function of converting what you recorded into a ring tone?! :cool: I mean, Paul, you could have your friends record their voices and make them ring tones. Like your mother screamin, "Answer the phone, Paul!" :laugh2: I already have pics of my friends, coworkers, even my boss, flipping me off as my incoming phone call pictures!
Well, can't you do that now? Record what you'd like, make sure sure it's in the correct format and then put in on your phone?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I've never objected to paying for them before but rxmxsh does make a good point. We have already purchased the song once, paying again just to use a smaller part of what we already own does seem a bit greedy?

nobbie

Bronze
Jul 23, 2007
Well, can't you do that now? Record what you'd like, make sure sure it's in the correct format and then put in on your phone?
Not as seamlessly as it would be to record something with VNote and then save it as a ring tone all on our iPhones!:cool:

Aug 12, 2007
Duh

Sorry,in my hectic workday I was just skimming this looking to see if anyone tried it when I saw the announcement and I skimmed right over your post. Giving the trial version a shot. If this works with updates, they have my $15.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Sorry,in my hectic workday I was just skimming this looking to see if anyone tried it when I saw the announcement and I skimmed right over your post. Giving the trial version a shot. If this works with updates, they have my $15.
Eh, no worries. I personally find it funny when people repost w/o realizing that someone just posted the same thing...

I think I may try this program, so I'll let you know how it works. However, I am now intrigued by the newest iFuntastic...

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I Posted this already... In THIS thread. Sheesh.:laugh2:
I actually plopped down the $15 for this today. First, I like the fact that they give you a 30 day trial, and it is a full functioning trial. Basically, you could download it and use it and then never pay for it as long as you only use it for 30 days. It's simple, well done, and it works. It couldn't be easier. AND you don't have to have Intel Inside to use it. That ought to feel real good to the PPC users out there, and that includes me. My tastes change with ringtones and I don't want to be stuck to only music I buy from iTunes, if the rumors hold true.

I use MP3 Trimmer to slice and dice the song I want, usually to a 15-30 second byte. Then just plug in the iPhone, launch iToner, drag your ringtones over it, and click Sync. It absolutely could not be any easier!

randyg

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
And I got off subject with that post (kind of), but I probably will not buy into the Apple sanctioned deal when I can do any song I want with iToner.

RTpics

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
Malibu CA
A custom ringtone for me is something i created i will not pay anything for a ringtone, some people talk about the tone being optimized, if Apple would have done this when they released the phone ie proper levels the world would have saved the forums thousands of posts on this subject. my phone is plenty load enough with my ringtones i have installed.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
A custom ringtone for me is something i created i will not pay anything for a ringtone, some people talk about the tone being optimized, if Apple would have done this when they released the phone ie proper levels the world would have saved the forums thousands of posts on this subject. my phone is plenty load enough with my ringtones i have installed.
Fair enough. I was just pointing out that Apple's solution should be the easier of all solutions. Sound levels aside, I was also thinking Apple might provide clips that are perfect for a ringtone. For example, the beginning of Back in Black and so on. I wonder if there is any value-add in having them do that? This way, regular folks don't have to search through their favorite song for the best snippet. I guess we'll find out. iToner and iPhoneRingToneMaker are good alternatives and offer more value in the long term.

-Chris