pay for web apps?

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
so i NEVER cared for web apps till to day since we can do that whole web book mark thing and i noticed that you have to pay for some? what the heck is that? especially that finger scanner thing... this is lame... there are tons of free game sites on the web why do we have to pay for the mobile versions... LAME

what do yall think?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I think they have to be really solid apps that provide something super-useful (or super fun I guess) - and in order to justify paying for it, I think they have to be apps that you'd use a lot not just on the iPhone, but on a regular browser.
Example - I paid for Remember The Milk, which is a superb to-do list manager app - but I use it constantly on my PC as well as on the iPhone.

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
yes that is true.... i just don't think that id use any web based stuff tat much...

robhon

Silver
Mar 17, 2007
My favorite web app, ForeFlight, has always been a pay service. In fact they're doing quite well with it.

ZodiacfreaK

Bronze
Jan 11, 2007
Eh, I think it really mainly depends on how good the web app is. Obviously if it is a cheap lame one it isn't worth that much. But there is the beauty in getting to choose what you buy :)

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
guess that is true too. just thought that it was stupid that they did it in the method of a subscription, X amount of $ for 3 months... rather just pay once if im going to ... know what i mean....

like when SDK is out and there is a steady AIM app ill definitely pay for that.... as i did with my treo..

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
If it's a web app, I'm paying for a service. I don't mind doing that, but when it comes to applications, I prefer to have something I can download and install and will be there even if AT&T goes up in flames.

Paying for SDK apps that are native to the phone will make much more sense to me

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
If Apple charges for apps from the SDK, I will pay for them, no question. But I'm not paying to use a webapp, no matter how useful it is. It's a website, not real software.

- John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
If Apple charges for apps from the SDK, I will pay for them, no question. But I'm not paying to use a webapp, no matter how useful it is. It's a website, not real software.

- John
What about things like Gmail, Yahoo Mail? Are they not real apps, with their millions of users, just because they're web-based and don't install anything on a PC? Think that's a bit extreme. Those are not paid-for apps (though they're ad-supported) - and there are plenty of serious, businesss web apps these days as well, and individuals and companies that increasingly rely on working in the cloud rather than via desktop software - I don't think you can write them all off so easily ...

iamtko

Zealot
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Houston

- John
i'm with you on this one. i would hate to pay for something knowing that most of the time i use the internet, i am using EDGE which can sometimesbe slow. and even if it is quick, sometimes Safari just shuts down and i have to go back.

but with a real app. on the iPhone i get a sense of stability, and stability is what people pay for.

but either way, it would have to be a really decent app. for me to pay for it. i mean the only two webapps. i even have bookmarked are mockdock(which i mainly use for AIM) and a ripoff of connect four(which is actually really soothe and fun). and i'm not paying for connect 4 :p

the only thing that comes to mind that i would pay for is Tetris. but it would have to be a really decent version of the game(which i have not seen for the iPhone yet).

and as for paying for email service, hell no. i'm a student and don't need to access my email that much.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
What about things like Gmail, Yahoo Mail? Are they not real apps, with their millions of users, just because they're web-based and don't install anything on a PC? Think that's a bit extreme. Those are not paid-for apps (though they're ad-supported) - and there are plenty of serious, businesss web apps these days as well, and individuals and companies that increasingly rely on working in the cloud rather than via desktop software - I don't think you can write them all off so easily ...
Don't get me wrong - webapps can be very solid and productive, but if Google charged for Gmail, I wouldn't pay for it. Stability and usefulness doesn't change the fact that this application is web-based, and has a toolbar from Safari on the bottom of it.

- John