PC crash at iPhon connection!

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 19, 2007
Major problem! When I connect the iPhone to my PC, the iPhone is recognized (as a diggital camera!) and 5 seconds later the system crashes and Windows starts again from scratch! The iPhone works with other PCs at the same circumstances. I suspect it has to with drivers from other devices - but so far - no solution! Any idea?

adamdm

Sep 18, 2007
Major problem! When I connect the iPhone to my PC, the iPhone is recognized (as a diggital camera!) and 5 seconds later the system crashes and Windows starts again from scratch! The iPhone works with other PCs at the same circumstances. I suspect it has to with drivers from other devices - but so far - no solution! Any idea?
The most popular cause for this issue that is documented on the Internet is that you most likely have a conflict with a Logitech camera or webcam driver somewhere on your system. In my case, I have an Acer laptop with a built-in webcam which (I only learned after lots of digging and research because they do not advertise this) is manufactured by Logitech.

Uninstall any devices that you think might be related to this problem...disable/delete any drivers that you think might belong to the Logitech device (assuming you're OK with not using them -- I was) and hope that Windows doesn't keep trying to reinstall them like mine did.

Short of that...as a workaround...if you delete all photos out of your iPhone camera roll...you may find that you don't have this problem.

I am currently running 1.0.1 on my iPhone. I hope (but am not sure whether) this was/is corrected in a later release.

Whatthe

Feb 18, 2008
!tHaNkS!

Your have saved me a mountain of searching the net and anquish trying to resolve the same problem... I too have an Acer, built in Logitech cam and suffering the same problem which I am confident I can now resolve thanks to your advice!

The most popular cause for this issue that is documented on the Internet is that you most likely have a conflict with a Logitech camera or webcam driver somewhere on your system. In my case, I have an Acer laptop with a built-in webcam which (I only learned after lots of digging and research because they do not advertise this) is manufactured by Logitech.

Uninstall any devices that you think might be related to this problem...disable/delete any drivers that you think might belong to the Logitech device (assuming you're OK with not using them -- I was) and hope that Windows doesn't keep trying to reinstall them like mine did.

Short of that...as a workaround...if you delete all photos out of your iPhone camera roll...you may find that you don't have this problem.

I am currently running 1.0.1 on my iPhone. I hope (but am not sure whether) this was/is corrected in a later release.

iluvzinta

Aug 7, 2008
Whoa boy!I just registered to this site to tell you a big Thanks...You saved loads of time and effort...This was a real quick fix to what looked like a scary problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 27, 2008
Many thanks. I had the same issue and was originally alerted that there was a problem when I downloaded the latest software on my iPhone and my PC crashed instantly with a Skype error message. I uninstalled Skype and it made no difference. I use an Acer PC with a webcam and have now removed my iPhone photos from the photo roll as I want to continue to use Skype. It works fine now.

Jules58-1

Oct 15, 2010
iPhone 3GS Crashing PC on loading

Like one of the previous contributors, I have just registered to say thank you for sorting out my problem. I realise this is a very old thread but if it helps when other people search for this problem that'll do me.

I received my iPhone this week and every time I plugged it in to my PC it re-booted. I phoned Apple, who told me to back up iTunes (luckily I do this on a regular basis so I skipped that part). Then I had to uninstall iTunes and all its components and reinstall. That process took nearly 5 hours. Only to find after all that that my PC still re-booted on attaching the iPhone.

I wished I had done a search on the Internet prior to phoning Apple because as soon as I unplugged my Logitec webcam and uninstalled its software, the iPhone attaches to iTunes fine.

The only problem that I have now is that I keep getting an Apple camera dialog box come up every time I attach iPhone to iTunes and it's asking me how I want to proceed. I just cancel that and everything works fine. Does anyone out there know how to stop that annoying box appearing?

Jules

JamesMB

Bronze
Dec 14, 2008
Like one of the previous contributors, I have just registered to say thank you for sorting out my problem. I realise this is a very old thread but if it helps when other people search for this problem that'll do me.

I received my iPhone this week and every time I plugged it in to my PC it re-booted. I phoned Apple, who told me to back up iTunes (luckily I do this on a regular basis so I skipped that part). Then I had to uninstall iTunes and all its components and reinstall. That process took nearly 5 hours. Only to find after all that that my PC still re-booted on attaching the iPhone.

I wished I had done a search on the Internet prior to phoning Apple because as soon as I unplugged my Logitec webcam and uninstalled its software, the iPhone attaches to iTunes fine.

The only problem that I have now is that I keep getting an Apple camera dialog box come up every time I attach iPhone to iTunes and it's asking me how I want to proceed. I just cancel that and everything works fine. Does anyone out there know how to stop that annoying box appearing?

Jules
If you have pictures in your camera roll on iPhone, the pc thinks it is a camera. If you don't want to see the dialog box, either delete the pics in the camera roll or download them to the pc.