PC guy, my iPhone experience

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Gregdx7

Jul 5, 2007
Festus, MO
I have always been a PC guy and other than my 40 gig ipod, this was my first Apple purchase. I have had a Sprint 6700 Pocket PC with CE 5 for the last 18 months or so. Actually I have had 3 because the first 2 had screens go out and my 3rd (all replaced by insurance) was starting to not answer calls occasionally. I have been month to month with Sprint for the last 7 months or so and I have been waiting for the iPhone after reading about it. I paid a friend to stand in line for me because he was out of work and needed the money.

My iPhone has been really amazing. I would call it the first Smartphone I have ever used by definition. It is really on a completely different level than the 6700. I won't even waste my time trying to describe in what ways it is better because I don't think I'm allowed enough characters in this forum. Basically, in every way. Actually even in volume. I had a hard time hearing on the 6700 and my iPhone, while not really loud, is really easy for me to hear.

Its been an absolute pleasure to use and even the Edge system seems quicker than my 6700 on EVDO.

Anyway, thats my experience so far, and the battery life is much better than the 6700 as well. It will be interesting to see what is coming down the road in the way of software upgrades, etc. For me, it can only get better.

I will be off to the UK in a couple of weeks with it. I may be afraid to answer it in public in London. It could create a scene or make me a target, but it should be interesting.

So, all around for me a great experience.

Almost makes me want to check out an Apple desktop. Not quite there yet.

neo

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
murf, Tn
I know exactly how you feel, i love my iPhone. I actually went to the Apple store for the first time ever two days ago (got my phone at ATT) to look at the computers i will be switching from PC to Mac here in the near future:)

RyanFavre

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Milwaukee
The iPhone was my first Apple purchase (i used a rio mp3 and currently have a zune). My dad works in computers and grew up around pcs.

That being said my iPhone is awesome. Even though my first one died, Apple replaced it without much hassle and my second iPhone has been working great (still a bit of wifi quirkyness but i think in time all that will be sorted out). Even my dad who is very anti-Apple said "wow, that is a really awesome interface they came up with, the touch screen is pretty remarkable."

As far as making the switch, I don't see that happening. I'm too set in my pc ways to learn how to use a mac. Also the cost issues--know this will be debated but in general you get less for your money with a mac and there's little to no customizing you can do. Now I don't want to start a pc vs mac debate here. If youre a mac user and you love it, good for you. I don't think you're and idiot and I'm glad you found the computer that works for you.

Despite my pc bias, unless someone comes out with a cheaper/better smartphone--i'll probably be an iPhone owner for life.

mm1250

Bronze
Jun 23, 2007
I know how you feel guys. I had my iPhone for about a week now. I was at the Apple store middle of the week eyeing the MacBook Pro Notebooks. They look really cool, also nice that they have the software that you can use to run Windows on(Parallal). I might be considering picking one up, but damn 2k for the 15'' model. My HP laptop has around the same config and cost me around $1400.

AFter reviewing a lot of the Apple specs(which now is all PC based hardware), It wonders me why Apple won't start giving options for consumers to bundle their PCs with Windows OR MAC OS. If they do, they can become a key player in the PC market competiting with Dell and HP BIG TIME. I'm sure their OS isn't what's making them the big bucks.

DRabbit

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
As far as making the switch, I don't see that happening. I'm too set in my pc ways to learn how to use a mac. Also the cost issues--know this will be debated but in general you get less for your money with a mac and there's little to no customizing you can do. Now I don't want to start a pc vs mac debate here. If youre a mac user and you love it, good for you. I don't think you're and idiot and I'm glad you found the computer that works for you.
I thought the SAME thing until I bought my first Mac in 1999. There's now 4 of them in my house and the next one to come will replace the last working desktop PC. Especially now that you can run Windows through bootcamp or Parallels, and even Windows Aps through CrossOver, there's no reason not to at least try one. The price gap has gotten a lot smaller in the last few years... and one thing you learn quickly about Mac is their "shelf life" is longer.

(ps. As a geek, if you haven't seen the inside of a Mac box you should check one out... they are AMAZING just from a Hardware standpoint).

My brother was also a PC geek growing up (he's much younger than me)... I bought him his first Mac a few years ago for Christmas... got him a Mac Mini (so he could hook it to his existing monitor, keyboard, mouse). I bought it for him because he wanted to learn Linux and I gave him a book on how to turn your Mac Mini into a Linux Box.

Guess what? He went and became the Apple expert... LOL... he now works for an Apple Store, and at his last job was one of the few salesmen who were Apple Certified.

My only mistake? I didn't buy Apple Stock years ago. LOL.

Congrats on your iPhone!