PC no longer recognizes my iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone 7' started by iPutz, Oct 14, 2016.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

With my iPhone 6, I could plug it into my PC, click on My Computer and find the Phone listed as a folder named "My iPhone". I could open that folder and find all of my photos and copy them to my computer for storage and backup then delete them from the phone. Since I have changed over to an iPhone 7 I can no longer find it listed when it is plugged into my computer. I'm guessing a setting got changed on the phone or in iTunes during the transition from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 but cannot figure out which one. I do not have iCloud photos enabled, never have and prefer not to. Any Ideas??

Addendum:
    I just noticed that my wife's iPhone 6 no longer shows up on her PC either. So It's not my phone and probably not iTunes. Something in iOS10??

#1 iPutz, Oct 14, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

I just got a 7+ and hadn't even hooked it up to my PC yet. After reading your post I plugged it in, heard the connection sound & saw the drivers loading notification.
    Opened up ThisPC ( win 10 ) and nothing.

I unplugged my phone and plugged it back in and got the pop up box asking what I wanted to do with Scott's iPhone 7+.
    Opened up ThisPC again and there was my device. Could access the photos in what seemed like a million different folders.

3. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I'll check it with my PC when I get home. I normally use my Mac.

4. gadgetguy

gadgetguy Member
    Bronze

Just recieved my 7 plus 2 days ago & had the same problem of my PC computer not recognizing the Iphone. Here`s what worked for me. Go to settings-general-& turn off background app refresh then back on. Then unplug phone & plug back in. Your Iphone should then show up on your computer.

5. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

UPDATE: My Windows 7 PC recognizes my iPhone 7 Plus just fine with the latest version of iTunes.

6. gadgetguy

gadgetguy Member
    Bronze

I also had latest version of Itunes & running windows 10

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

The crazy part is that iTunes recognizes the phone same as it always has and synced in the normal fashion that I'm used to. My wife's iPhone 6 and PC have the same exact problem. Both phones are on the latest version of iOS and PC's have latest version of iTunes and are running Windows 7 which I keep updated regularly. I'll have time this weekend and if necessary I'll uninstall iTunes and all associated software and reinstall it then see what happens.

8. gadgetguy

gadgetguy Member
    Bronze

It was the same situation with my computer. Iphone was synced with computer & itunes & I also used the hotspot on phone to connect to the internet using the computer. Everything worked except the phone didn`t show up on the computer. Try my fix first, its easy before you you do a uninstall.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Make sure you put your passcode in on the phone right before opening the photos folder on the computer (same thing without iPhoto). They will be visible after you input it. It's an iOS 10 change. You can't see your camera roll on a computer until the phone is unlocked.

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'll give it a try and let y'all know how I made out. Thanks.

11. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Will try this as well and will post back if anything did resolve the issue. Thanks.

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I tried both suggestions and turning Background App Refresh off then back on and reconnecting the phone worked. Thanks to Europa and Gadgetguy for the prompt replies, eIC has saved me again!!

Update:
    It seems that I have to turn Background App Refresh off then back on every time I want to connect the phone to a PC for it to be able to recognize the phone. If I leave Background App Refresh turned off the PC recognizes the phone every time I plug it in. My next step was to turn off all individual app sliders and leave Background App Refresh running and still had to turn it off and back on for the PC to see the phone. So the solution for now is to leave Background App Refresh turned off if I want to get at the photos on my phone using the PC then turn it back on when I'm done.

#12 iPutz, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I don't know what has changed but now everything seems to be working properly with Background App Refresh turned on. I'm beginning to feel like I have entered the Twilight Zone.

14. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

This iPhone 7 has definitely entered the "Twilight Zone". It is back to needing Background App Refresh turned off before connecting it to the PC so it will show up in My Computer as an attached device. I have made a bug report to Apple about this and hope they get it fixed sometime in the near future. One curious thing about making the bug report to Apple; when the webpage asked me to select the version of iOS I was using, the list only went to iOS 10.0.1. If I remember right this happened the last time I made a bug report, the iOS version list was several versions behind what was currently available.

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

How odd. I haven't toggled background app refresh on or off for mine to show up.
    Maybe I'll do a little more testing and see if I can get the same results. Just for kick and giggles

16. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'm guessing it has something to do with a setting somewhere in the phone. The thing that gets me is the unpredictability of it. Sometimes it works as it should and other times I have to turn off background app refresh and reconnect the phone to the PC.