PC not recognizing

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
My PC stopped recognizing my iPhone. I plug it in and I can't even get a charge signal from the phone. I tried to plug it in to a different USB slot, tried a different USB cable and tried to plug my iPhone into my laptop and that didn't see it either. I can plug it into a power outlet and charge it but that's it. I've tried respringing and restarting everything but still.... Anyone know what's going on here?

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
My PC stopped recognizing my iPhone. I plug it in and I can't even get a charge signal from the phone. I tried to plug it in to a different USB slot, tried a different USB cable and tried to plug my iPhone into my laptop and that didn't see it either. I can plug it into a power outlet and charge it but that's it. Anyone know what's going on here?
The strange thing is that it's the same with your desktop and laptop - that mean there is something wrong with your iPhone! I'll guess that you have re-booted the iPhone!?

Have you just installed some apps?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Ok, so let me get this straight, you've eliminated the possibility that it's the USB port or the USB cable or the iTunes installation, right? If it's still charging on AC, it sounds like you blew something out in the phone's dock itself... maybe the resistor that tells iTunes what device is being connected?

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
It's jailbreaked and yeah, there's quite a few apps on it both JB and from the app store. When you say the phone's dock...you mean the actual connector on the phone itself? And is there a way to manually restore the iPhone to it's standard setup without connecting it to a computer?

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
It's jailbreaked and yeah, there's quite a few apps on it both JB and from the app store. When you say the phone's dock...you mean the actual connector on the phone itself? And is there a way to manually restore the iPhone to it's standard setup without connecting it to a computer?
Nope - you need the USB cable! But if you can charge your iPhone with the same USB cable - I'll guess it has something to do the a jailbreaked app you have installed!?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I'm pretty sure the AC adapter uses different pins to charge than when connecting to a USB port.

So to the original poster, you have more than one iPhone docking cable that you've tried, correct?

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I'm pretty sure the AC adapter uses different pins to charge than when connecting to a USB port.

So to the original poster, you have more than one iPhone docking cable that you've tried, correct?
The iPhone should react one both the charger/or the USB plugin! I think it's in the iPhone firmware...JB...that something is wrong. Like a missing driver on a device.

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I've tried two different cables on both my desktop and laptop to no avail. I'm at a loss. Is there a way to restore my iPhone without connectivity?

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I've tried two different cables on both my desktop and laptop to no avail. I'm at a loss. Is there a way to restore my iPhone without connectivity?
No, you need the USB cable! Have you tried to look trough all the apps on your iPhone - is there a new app coursing this problem?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
You could try a full reset from settings/general/reset on the phone. This won't take you stock (I don't think), but might fix your problem?

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
I had it connected and working this morning fine and installed nothing new since. I tried to remove SB setting since I thought I may have hit a toggle or something but that ain't working. I'm going to keep removing apps from JB until something happens then, shoot, I don't know. I'm with you Picazzo, I think something on the phone is jacked because I'm not even getting a charge when I plug it into my computers. Driving me crazy a little.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Well you can try erasing all content on the iPhone in the settings menu. Try this:

Settings -> General -> Reset-> Erase All Content and Settings.

Hope this helps.

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Man if that takes me to stock setting I'm fine. I've only had this phone a short time and I'll take it back if I can get it to NOT jailbreak state ya know. Thanks.

BoomerFZ1

Bronze
Dec 10, 2008
Well...tried everything and called tech support. Had to drive 60 miles one way to return the phone but I'm good now. THANKS ALL!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
So... I can't remember how it works, did the settings reset kill your jailbreak? Or did they just not notice? Either way, congrats!