PC Official DVD to iPhone Software Discussion for PC Users

Boatski

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I use the Videora iPhone converter. I got a question here...

I had a movie, it was .avi and I was going to convert it to mp4 for my iPhone. I had the iPhone profile selected for a format. It tells me the estimated file size will be about 500mb after its done.

I've converted about 7 videos and they always double in size and sometimes almost tripple. 600mb to 1.5gb. I convert 2 videos yesterday with the lowest settings and they ended up at 1.15 and 1.4 or so. Not sure what's up with these.

Am I doing something wrong?

Wet1

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
CT Shoreline
I use the Videora iPhone converter. I got a question here...

I had a movie, it was .avi and I was going to convert it to mp4 for my iPhone. I had the iPhone profile selected for a format. It tells me the estimated file size will be about 500mb after its done.

I've converted about 7 videos and they always double in size and sometimes almost tripple. 600mb to 1.5gb. I convert 2 videos yesterday with the lowest settings and they ended up at 1.15 and 1.4 or so. Not sure what's up with these.

Am I doing something wrong?
I'm not familiar with Videora, bu did you by chance select higher bit rates than the original source material? That can increase the file sizes...

Boatski

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
I used whatever it had pre selected, I think it was 768 or something. Not sure why it keeps telling me est. file size is 300-500mb when it comes out at 1.5gb

iPastor

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Virginia
www.myspace.com
Not to go off topic so quickly, but I've got my Blu Ray on order for 300. ;)

Okay, not let's get back on topic.
The bluray version of 300 is AWWWESOME! You're gonna love it.

I purchased Ultra DVD Ripper @ http://www.aone-soft.com/dvd_ripper.htm and I really like how it works and the options you have to choose from. I've never used a product like this before so I don't have anything to compare the speed, but on good quality @ 30fps it rips a DVD in twice the running length of the movie. So a two hour movie takes four hours or a little less.

bspill1

Jul 10, 2007
Been using PQ DVD for a while now. Works great.

fright88

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
I use DVDShrink to rip then PSP Video 9 to convert to MPeg 4

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i use Avex video to iPod suite. It converts DVDs or any other video format. Originally i was using it for my ipod video, but the videos transferred pretty well to my iPhone. They could be in a higher bitrate, but they still look pretty good. I'll try to copy one tonight specifically for my phone and see how it works out.

and it automatically disables the screensaver if you wish :)

I think if you just want to convert DVDs it costs $30, but if you want the whole package, it's $45.

iStealth

Bronze
Nov 5, 2007
I like DVD catalyst.. its not real fast but easy and works well its about $20.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
I like DVD catalyst.. its not real fast but easy and works well its about $20.
I agree -- a little slow but inexpensive and it works.

I have been using DVD Catalyst 2 (current version 2.7) for conversion for my Palm PDA for just over a year. I've only had my iPhone for a week and saw that the program had "iPhone" as one of the conversion selections.

It seems that it is marketed more heavily to the Palm world and seems to be little known in the iPhone world. I can't remember how much I paid, but I'm pretty sure it was the current $19.95. I've updated for free at least once (there is an update button on the first screen). The first iteration I owned did not have an iPhone setting and took 2 passes (one for a temporary backup) for H.264. The latest version does it in one pass (at least visible to me). It also puts your movies in an easy to import into iTunes "iPhone" folder now. So far I've converted 3 DVDs and have watched them on the iPhone. I've been pleased with the results.

acf83

Nov 16, 2007
I am trying to convert a DVD using videora& it is telling me that the conversion will take 12 hours. Is this right?

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Unfortunately Vidora has started crashing on me - with Vista popping up ffmpeg has stopped working.

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication
Been awhile since anyone posted here, and don't know how long I'll wait for a response, but does anyone know the version number of this software -
xxxx://www.pqdvd.com/dvd-to-ipod-movie-video-converter.html which charges $40
vs.
xxxx://www.downloadpipe.com/audio-multimedia-converters/review-PQ-DVD-to-iPod-Video-Suite-Pro-1067573.html
which is going for $16!?!

Is the second like a year old or something? It looks kinda fishy, but I'm yanking my hair out, as others seemingly are, at having a file output that is WAY bigger than it should be.

ps: yeah. You actually have to change the xxxx:// to http://. I'm not sure if Chris wants any hot linking aside from the original post.

-Tim

timothy

Bronze
Nov 4, 2007
Thousand Oaks, Californication
never mind... payment button doesn't work. I think it's a scam to get your email addy. Lucky I have a trash email addy!

edit: Well so far it is a basic "1-click" after you save your prefs the first time. Doing a 2:35.00 movie in 1:33.00 at 128k stereo/500k 24fps so it's faster than before. Should I lower the 500k? I assume I should be doing it in mpeg-4 and not H.(whatever) which it says is a lot slower but a smaller file after? It says the output should be about 500meg. *fingers crossed*

LOL! With all these settings and such, it just occurred to me... Where is this file saving to?

update: Saves to the root of drive C. Did the H.264 which takes longer but is smaller. Ya right! 128k stereo/200k 24fps was over 30 meg LARGER. Think I'll stay with the mpeg 4 for now.

summary: In a nutshell, set the preferences and this is a decent, reasonably quick dvd/ipod converter. A 2 1/2 hour movie will take you 1 1/2 hours to do.

Lazarus

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
Miami
hey I use Aimersoft and am having trouble getting audio to sync. What settings do I use if I want to use 384fps?

lady_bugz22

Bronze
Jun 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I have posted this before but I have used my son's program for his PSP where it converts your DVD's you already own into mp4. It's called 123PSPmovie and they sell it at Target for like $29. After it converts you just drag and click to iTunes. It does take about an hour and a half to two hours depending on the length of the DVD. But I just leave it running and go do other things and when I come back the movie is there. Oh, and a helpful hint, disable the screen saver because if your screen saver comes on you have to start all over. I learned this the hard way.:(
I bought this software today from Best Buy for $9.99 and it's the best. It is very user friendly & simple to use. Thanks for recommending it!:)

Dec 11, 2008
As i already had a copy of slysoft any DVD i just downloaded the Clone Mobile version but is there any way of using this on avi file or is it just for full DVD as i ten to download in avi formal to save space

Nov 29, 2008
I can't put the movies that I have converted to MPEG4 format to the iPhone.