PC to Mac Help Please?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

listenclose

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
My iPhone was previously synced to a Windows PC the I recently purchased a Macbook. I synced my contacts and photos from my windows iPhone to the macbook fine. I used an external HD to transfer my media files to the Mac the loaded them to iTunes. I restored the iPhone with the MacBook but when I sync it will only sync contacts and calendar, not my music and video files. What am I missing?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
My iPhone was previously synced to a Windows PC the I recently purchased a Macbook. I synced my contacts and photos from my windows iPhone to the macbook fine. I used an external HD to transfer my media files to the Mac the loaded them to iTunes. I restored the iPhone with the MacBook but when I sync it will only sync contacts and calendar, not my music and video files. What am I missing?
I did a similar transfer.

iTunes did ask me if I wanted to do a 'MERGE' before I completed my sync. Didn't you get this option? It would have let you combine what you put in iTunes manually, and automatically restored what was on your phone to your iTunes library...if I remember correctly.

radmonkeyx

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Irving TX
Just import the music/videofiles directly into your new iTunes library from wherever they are, then sync.
i already did that. the iPhone syncs ical and address book fine. when i go to apply settings to sync video, music ect it says it is already sync with another cpu. it asks: do you want to erase and sync with this mac. i hit cancel. i don't want to erase anything. i originally told it to merge on the first sync i did. i understand it should put everything back on there but i want to make sure before i do anything.

plus when i brought over the backup iTunes music from my dell the music is under a restored playlist. it there a way to get rid of that restored playlist so i can have it just like it was on my dell.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I'm not sure if I understand you properly: if you've already transferred all your Dell's media files to the iMac, and imported them in iTunes, then it should be OK to erase and sync, since it's going to be the same files that are now on both computers. The iMac's iTunes knows your iPhone is associated with another computer and will not allow you to transfer media files from an iPhone/iPod. The direct itunes-iPod/iPhone transfer is only allowed one-way.

radmonkeyx

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
Irving TX
I'm not sure if I understand you properly: if you've already transferred all your Dell's media files to the iMac, and imported them in iTunes, then it should be OK to erase and sync, since it's going to be the same files that are now on both computers. The iMac's iTunes knows your iPhone is associated with another computer and will not allow you to transfer media files from an iPhone/iPod. The direct itunes-iPod/iPhone transfer is only allowed one-way.
right on, i did what you said. good to go now...thanks for the help

by the way. i love my new iMac. my first Apple pc. i will never go back to windows. Apple makes it to easy. still learning, but cant wait until i understand everything fully.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Ok, I was looking for this answer to, let me make sure I know what I am doing and tell me if I am off.

1 - my phone is currently sync'd to XP
2 - just plug it in to the mac and it will pull all my data off but not the music and video which is fine (I have all that on the mac anyway and the thing I care most about is the contacts as I don't want to enter that info in again).
3 - it will ask me when I sync the music/video if I want to erase the content since it is a new computer, but the other data will remain
4 - sync the music video and I am off and running.

Is that correct?

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
Ok, I was looking for this answer to, let me make sure I know what I am doing and tell me if I am off.

1 - my phone is currently sync'd to XP
2 - just plug it in to the mac and it will pull all my data off but not the music and video which is fine (I have all that on the mac anyway and the thing I care most about is the contacts as I don't want to enter that info in again).
3 - it will ask me when I sync the music/video if I want to erase the content since it is a new computer, but the other data will remain
4 - sync the music video and I am off and running.

Is that correct?
Yes. I chose to "merge" what was on my iPhone and my new MacBook's iTunes. I switched from XP. ALL contacts and info on my iPhone remained untouched, and anything that I put into my Mac's iTunes was then put on the phone. In essense, a two way sync from scratch without the music that is currently on your phone being copied to the Mac.