PDA Function?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

peggya111

May 6, 2007
I have been watching the sites about the iPhone and can't get a fix on whether or not there will be any kind of PDA functionality. Is it going to be mainly phone, music and internet? If so, that limits the usability for small businesss... Any thoughts?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I have been watching the sites about the iPhone and can't get a fix on whether or not there will be any kind of PDA functionality. Is it going to be mainly phone, music and internet? If so, that limits the usability for small businesss... Any thoughts?
It kinda depends on how you use a PDA. I had a Palm for a long time and mostly used it for keeping track of contacts and meetings. The iPhone seems to have an excellent contact manager and will include a calendar. With its email, phone, and internet it seems to be the complete package.

May 6, 2007
United States
It kinda depends on how you use a PDA. I had a Palm for a long time and mostly used it for keeping track of contacts and meetings. The iPhone seems to have an excellent contact manager and will include a calendar. With its email, phone, and internet it seems to be the complete package.

You hit it spot on, Joe. The iPhone brings across another WORLD of phone capability. It will not be your typical PDA, but it will define the way you use it as a PDA. With the excellent calendar and contact managers and the great web browsers, it might even be better than your typical PDA. But again, it will take some getting used to the iPDA :D

EDIT: To clarify this a little bit, I guess you could say that what I mean is that no, it will not be a PDA. That is not what it is meant for, really, but it certainly has great potential in that area.

PHEW, this is complicated :D

peggya111

May 6, 2007
I guess what I am asking is, will I be able to use the calendar function to schedule appointments. I can imagine it working with iCal, but there is nothing in the promotional material that I have seen that says anything about that. If anyone has anything definitive I would love to see it.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
I guess what I am asking is, will I be able to use the calendar function to schedule appointments. I can imagine it working with iCal, but there is nothing in the promotional material that I have seen that says anything about that. If anyone has anything definitive I would love to see it.
The only thing I know of is the Calendar icon in the iPhone pictures. It's very similar to the iCal icon. While I haven't heard of anything about it this seems like a pretty sure-fire indication that calendaring with schedules and appointments should definitely be there.

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
It will have great calendar functions

I have a 5G iPod and iMac , and I just go into iTunes to the contacts tap in my ipod's screen and tick the boxes to transfer my contacts and calendars from Address Book and iCal, I can even pick which calendars and which contact groups to transfer if I want.

I can then see all of them on my iPod, the iPhone has a + button in the calendar screen so you can add calendar events on the go, something the iPod can't do.

desiraet

May 9, 2007
I have a 5G iPod and iMac , and I just go into iTunes to the contacts tap in my ipod's screen and tick the boxes to transfer my contacts and calendars from Address Book and iCal, I can even pick which calendars and which contact groups to transfer if I want.

I can then see all of them on my iPod, the iPhone has a + button in the calendar screen so you can add calendar events on the go, something the iPod can't do.
I have used a PDA for years. My current phone has a PDA built in. Will the iPhone automatically sync all of my contacts into iCal and my Address Book? Also, how will it sync with PC's. I have Mac's but I also have PC's.

debelm

May 10, 2007
ical and address book limited for businesss use

I have used a PDA for years. My current phone has a PDA built in. Will the iPhone automatically sync all of my contacts into iCal and my Address Book? Also, how will it sync with PC's. I have Mac's but I also have PC's.
Does anyone know if Apple will be upgrading ical and address book to be more businesss friendly? Right now their capabilities seem somewhat limited which is why we don't use them in our office.

netshadow

Bronze
Apr 21, 2007
Upstate NY
but can you add a date without syncing

The question is whether you can add a date/appointment: on ical on the iPhone and then sync it to the mac or PC. Not much help to only be able to sync one way- that way you would have to carry the mac with you wherever you go to add a calendar appointment-a PDA allows you to sync in both directions. Anyone know?:eek:

Bootlessjam

Bronze
Apr 15, 2007
The question is whether you can add a date/appointment: on ical on the iPhone and then sync it to the mac or PC. Not much help to only be able to sync one way- that way you would have to carry the mac with you wherever you go to add a calendar appointment-a PDA allows you to sync in both directions. Anyone know?:eek:
The one-way syncing is the downfall of the iPod, the iPhone however has + buttons on the calendar and contact apps, so it is a two way sync when you plug in your iPhone.

I'm not sure what program iTunes will use to sync contacts and calanders on windows, probably the same ones that it uses now for the one-way sync to iPods.

MyCRE

May 22, 2007
Lack of marketing turns off PDA buyers

It's really stupid of Apple to not explain the calendaring, alarm and contact functions of the iPhone. Not everyone can wait until mid-June to find out. They could get the small businesss sector if these features are any good. Who knows, they could even sync with Outlook!

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I'm sure information will get out very quickly once the phone gets released. And, I don't really think they'll have much problem selling every one they can put in the stores.