PDAnet versus Mywi

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by eugchen23, Aug 2, 2010.

1. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

are these two basically the same thing? is one better than the other? i thinking about getting one or the other...

2. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

I like PdaNet better. Easier, straightforward, and you don't have to mess with Rock.

3. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

but can you use PDAnet like Mywi where you don't have to tether it to a laptop with cable? im looking for one that acts like a router to use with 2 laptops....

4. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

PdaNet doesn't support turning the iPhone into a wifi router, BUT, your computer is basically the wifi router. You first setup an ad-hoc network on your laptop, and then connect your iPhone through it. Turn on PdaNet, and you can start using your iPhone's internet on your laptop. You can also connect another wifi device TO your laptop, and use the internet that way. It's a little bit different, but still works.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I've used both and MyWi is a lot better. It doesn't require setting up an ad hoc network. It uses native routing, so you'll have faster connection speeds and less battery drain. Since it doesn't require setting up an ad hoc network, it will allow you to connect to an iPad (to use the phone's connection on the iPad) and there are less steps involved in turning it on each time you want to tether.

There is a 'No Rock' Cydia version, but I'm not sure if it's working right now.

6. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

I think PDA requires u to make a ad voc if that's correct spelling on a computer to tether.

7. jareknyc

jareknyc Member
    Silver

Any of you know how can we tether with Bluetooth like we did bf?

8. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

creating ad hoc took me 3 seconds, very easy, and the profile is set there, so i don't have to set it each time. i got pdanet to tether to my laptop wirelessly.

thanks for the explanation though besweet....i didn't knwo that it was reversed like that...

9. eugchen23

eugchen23 Member
    Bronze

i just tried connecting 2 laptops wirelessly through the pdanet and it wouldn't work....kept kicking one off than the other....are they both sharing one IP address?

10. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I too prefer PDA Net. You can connect the laptop BUT you have to have a small program running which sits in your system tray (PC) or your Status bar (MAC). This program can be obtained on the author's home page for PDA Net. There are two modes, one is USB mode and the other is WIFI router mode. Its really simple and takes seconds to get your connection going. The only reason I don't like MYWI is because in the past I've had conflicts with rock extensions. If they make one with no rock then I might take a look at it again.

11. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I agree with you on the potential issues with Rock. I didn't plan on installing it, but I broke down and did it yesterday since I really wanted MyWi and My3G. I'm just going to be cautious with Rock updates. Aside from the fact that you have to put Rock on your iPhone, MyWi kills PdaNet in every possible way. I listed the reasons earlier in the post.

12. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

Since I haven't used it in a while I forgot how to connect wirelessly. Though there are a few steps to follow, it's fairly straight forward. Right now I'm on my MBP typing this message with my iPhone 4 resting flat next to my beverage. It is connected wirelessly. I'm getting a download speed of 2.6 which isn't too bad. Now do you know if BOTH apps can coexist on the same phone? The reason I ask is that when I attempted to load MYWI for a trial it shows what files are going to be added and it also showed that it was going to ELIMINATE PDA Net! I don't know why it needs to do that. Obviously I could have allowed the install to go ahead and merely add back PDA Net afterwards. Regardless, I'm thrilled that I got my tethering back. Ironically, I don't use tethering too often, but it's so nice to know you have it available.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They aren't compatible. You'll need to remove PdaNet if you want to install MyWi.

14. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

You're spot on. In the simplest terms possible, if PDA Net was installed and you wanted to try MyWi, as soon as you hit install on MyWi, Cydia will automatically remove PDA Net and vice versa.

I like both of these apps, I started off on PDA Net and it never did me wrong, the only thing I dislike about PDA Net is that you have to pay $28 or $29 for the programme. MyWi is very simple and I love it, my only gripe about this app is that is totally annihilates the iPhone's battery.

15. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

They do have a no-Rock version. I just wish My3G had a no-Rock version.

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The no-Rock version isn't compatible with the iPhone 4. MyWi 4.0 requires Rock.

17. besweeet

besweeet Contributor
    Silver

Oh well. There's nothing wrong with Rock.

18. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

Well since I did pay $29 for the APP I'd like to get my money's worth :) . Both are good APPS and the bottom line is they achieve the same goal. I LOVE not paying ATT their outrageous $20/month tethering tax. Not only that if you chose to go that route you actually give up your unlimited data plan. Speaking of...... Who here thinks that it is inevitable that AT&T will take that away from us in the not too distant future.

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

I would remove My3G and dowload 3G Unrestrictor instead. It's cheaper, plus 'No Rock'.

20. wraith808

wraith808 New Member

After trying both, I like PDANet better. In addition to allowing you to tether to 3G, it also allows you to tether to WiFi. My phone is allowed on our work network, but my laptop isn't. When I connect with PdaNet, it goes across the LAN, but since MyWi is acting as a router rather than just sharing it's connection over ad-hoc, it can only do 3G.

OT: What's wrong with Rock?