PdaNet worth it?

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i used it a bit when it was still free, now apparently there is a 14 day trial version and its like 20 something dollars to purchase the full version. does anyone use this enough for it to be worth it? also, when i go to use it on my iPhone, it says

"wifi connection is not detected. Please go to wifi settings and connect to your coputers peer to peer (ad hoc) network, then launch pdanet again. your computer will be online automatically"

so do i still have the trial version or what? because i haven't purchased anything and it hasn't asked me for any information? thanks

edit: also, if i just delete the program (then reinstall it) or update it do i get a new trial version (14 days) or no?

OJsakila

Jul 15, 2007
Jupiter's sulphur mines
I used it while it was free and had the same kind of issues as you. I do not think it's worth it. Someone else might not.

As far as how to screw the app's designer out of his fair share and steal this program for more trial time, I don't have an answer how to do that...

iErik

Zealot
Gold
Oct 27, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
I don't think it's worth it. I can't even get it to stay connected for more than 2 minutes.

daycheck

Bronze
Feb 27, 2008
Logan utah
www.tosque.com
I got my up and running in no time flat.. works flawless. I use an AT&T air card for my laptop at home for home internet. I think the iPhone internet speed is faster also... I live out in the sticks and get poor/fair signal strength at best.
Using pdaNet I just put the phone on the table where the service is best.. and sit in my lazy-boy on my laptop.

if your having problems getting it to work.. this is how I did it.

On Windows XP,

1. Go to Control Panel->Network Connections, then right click on Wireless Network Connection and select Properties from the menu.
  2. Select Wireless Networks tab, under Preferred networks, click Add.
  3. Give a name to your network in the SSID box such as "iPhoneNet".
  4. Check "This is a computer-to-computer (ad-hoc) network and select "OK" to close the settings.
  5. Now on your iPhone go to Settings->WiFi and "iPhoneNet" should show up in the list unless your computer is already connected to a router. Tap on it and your computer should go online.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i'm actally on it right now. on vacation in california and the internet here at the hotel is like 10 bucks for 24 hours. connected on my mbp via pdanet and this crap works flawlessly. for anyone who travels very much, i HIGHLY recommend this app. it hasn't asked me for any information or mentioned any trial period. i am running version 1.41

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i upgraded from 1.41 to 1.42 and it seems to not be working as good. i still connect and what not, but i can't charge while i'm on it, and it won't show the connection and transfer statistics. hmmmmmmm

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
i'm actally on it right now. on vacation in california and the internet here at the hotel is like 10 bucks for 24 hours. connected on my mbp via pdanet and this crap works flawlessly. for anyone who travels very much, i HIGHLY recommend this app. it hasn't asked me for any information or mentioned any trial period. i am running version 1.41
I not on jailbreak - so I haven't tired this out...but...it's for sure a nice thing on the road with a laptop... - if it's working! :laugh2:

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
^i haven't paid for anything nor has it asked me to, and i have been using it well over 14 days, wonder what the deal is?

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
what? theyre charging for it now? since when?

spacemunk

Dec 15, 2008
bangkok,thailand
PdaNet removed from apps store? can't find it all

or maybe im just blind , can someone confirm this please

bah nvm found it on Cydia lol :S

speranza

Dec 18, 2008
I find doing it in the wright order helps it work first time every time.

1. Create network

2. Start PdaNet

3. Join the network in Settings (it usually connects straight away)

I (heard) someone wrote to them, that they will be supporting USB connectivity, then I will instantly buy it!

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
I tried this on a laptop at a store. It worked. The internet was just as fast as with EDGE (go figure).

I don't know if the 14 days is up though...but when it's over you could probably delete all the settings for it and start the app up again and it should start the trial over.

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
so i just got my bill from over xmas when i was traveling and using pdanet extensively and it showed a large increase in data usage on my iPhone bill but there were no additional charges at all.

also, i noticed that when i open pdanet since the last update it has changed and now asks me to purchase or register. i haven't done either yet so was wondering what the difference is if anyone has went past this yet.

drumthrasher109

Bronze
Jan 9, 2009
drumsplace.co.cc
I emailed the developers a long time ago and they said that once the 14-day trial period is over, PDAnet will go into http mode only, so you can't play games or anything special like that.

I think, when my new iPhone shows up, I'll set the date to the year 2099, install PDAnet, run it once, then put the year back to normal :D.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
I love this app. I couldn't figure out the ad hoc thing but the USB works awesome. And since it uses so much battery anyway the USB I think is a better option anyway since it also charges the phone.

As far as going over the 5gb limit, you should be fine as long as you just surf the net. Just don't forget to turn off any bit torrent programs you might have running in the background!

Ezekiel2517

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
so is that the limit then? 5gb? is here any chance that they could charge you for any other reason that going above the limit?
if not I should be fine then...