PdaNet

Mes

Jan 29, 2009
I tried, but couldn't make it work with more than 1 computer. Seems PDANet and the 1st connected computer are locked and other computers on the ad-hoc network are out of luck. However, it WILL work IF a local LAN network is created between the computers, and a second WiFi/PDANet/iPhone/computer connection is used as the router (with internet connection sharing enabled).

John88

May 25, 2010
Hey I got pdanet app from cydia this allows me to tether my 3g connection from AT&T to my laptop and get Internet anywhere .. But I was just wondering how much data I can use before AT&T says something and fines me?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
How much inclusive date allowance do you get from AT&T?

I've used PdaNet hundreds of times, it works flawlessly, I get unlimited data through o2 so I can't really comment.

You could just check your data usage and make sure you don't go over it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I recommend keeping your data usage under 5 GB a month and not downloading large files. I've never heard of anyone having extra charges applied to their account for tethering, but usage over 5 GB a month is uncommon on a mobile device and it may flag your account. If your usage is investigated, they can tell how much browsing/downloading was done on a non-mobile browser.

John88

May 25, 2010
I have the unlimited data plan with AT&T. But is their anyway to monitor how much data I'm using? I'm on vacation right now and I'm trying to use Internet here at the resort to watch some online flicks. The resort want to charge $5 per hour for Internet ...

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can monitor your data usage by logging into your wireless account on the AT&T website or with the app.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
PdaNet hides tethering.

To identify illegal tethering, AT&T looks at the type of packets hitting its network; any packet that doesn’t come from an iPhone is checked and warnings are then sent to the offenders informing them they must cease their wrongdoing or be billed for their use.
PdaNet’s new feature works by masking those packets and making the carrier believe they’re coming from an iPhone.

I noticed this story is also on EIC's Home Page.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Will PdaNet be safe to use at an Apartment Complex I'll be living at for 2 and a half months?

richardya

Silver
Sep 24, 2007
Did I miss the news that it was identifying based on packets. Are iPad/iPhone packets different?

offroadhunter

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
New York
Downloaded it but I'm going to wait for the dust to settle a little, they are being extremely aggressive now and and i'd prefer to wait till it quiets down before trying it out.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Yeah. It let's you create a 10-digit passcode so only you can access your hotspot.
Thanks. I will use PdaNet instead of jumping onto someone else's Wifi.

OffRoadHunter - That is a good idea, however, I've used PdaNet in the past when College Internet would go down and everything was fine. :)

IceCold357

Contributor
Silver
May 1, 2009
I am thinking about switching to PDANet because MyWif is not letting me connect to the internet when I set my WEP security. The only way I can connect is when I turn the WEP security off. Has anyone ever had that problem with PDANet?

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Downloaded it but I'm going to wait for the dust to settle a little, they are being extremely aggressive now and and i'd prefer to wait till it quiets down before trying it out.
I'm in this camp.

That being said, This is a GODSEND!
I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN HEARING FROM USERS OF OTHER TETHERING APPS AS TO WHAT TETHERING APP THEY USED AND WHETHER OR NOT THEY RECEIVED THE LETTER FROM AT&T OR NOT.
I was a MyWi user and got a Text in early April, followed by an email a few days later, and a letter in the mail a couple days after that. The email and letter were essentially the same, and I have seen others post the exact letter I got on the message boards.
The letter basically said, if you want to keep your unlimited plan, stop tethering. IF YOU DON’T CONTACT US BY A CERTAIN DATE, WE WILL AUTOMATICALLY SWITCH YOU TO A TETHERING PLAN AND CAP YOUR USAGE AT 4GB PER MONTH. So, I started reading up on this about how others had handled it and then made the phone call. Some people had said just tell them you use things like Pandora, NEtflix, etc. a lot, and they’ll just note your account and leave you alone. I did not find this to be the case. They said that a spike in your usage didn’t generate the messages. So, I committed to stop tethering and they said my unlimited plan will remain in tact.
I’d still like to hear from other users as to what program you were using to tether prior to getting “THE MESSAGE” from AT&T. If it seems that PDANet users have not received this message, then I’ll get it and use it.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
bball, Aren't you on the Peninsula? Do you have 3g there? My friend on Funny River Road is not getting a good enough signal to even consider tethering. She is using an ACS MiFi right now.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Yes I am. I'm right in town in Soldotna. I haven't ventured out that way since 3G Went live. Used to have some friends out at mile 15, but they are not there anymore. Maybe I'll have to take a drive out that way just to see how far I even get 3G coverage. I know that by the time I'm a few miles out of Soldotna, I'm back on edge, and same with heading south toward Homer. I don't think Homer has 3G either. The 3G went live in Kenai and Soldotna in late february or early march.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I have trouble with PdaNet sporadically turning off the hotspot for no apparent reason.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Do you guys know if MyWi has plans on implementing a similar feature hiding the traffic from ATT?