pdf viewer .02

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Oct 30, 2007
I installed pdf viewer .02 on my iPhone. I am not a programmar so please bear with me....

I noticed that the directory in var/root/media/PDF is not created...

How can I create that directory?

parag0n

Oct 31, 2007
I installed pdf viewer .02 on my iPhone. I am not a programmar so please bear with me....

I noticed that the directory in var/root/media/PDF is not created...

How can I create that directory?
If you have already hacked and jailbroken your iPhone you can use ssh to create the directory.

You have to use the installer to install the BSD Subsystem package then install openssh if you don't already have dropbear or some other ssh installed.

You can then ssh to the iPhone and created the directory, you can also use ssh to transfer your pdfs into the folder you just created. (use winscp and just copy and paste)

FYI though I just got finished doing this and when I tried to open a PDF on my iPhone I just got a blank screen. The second time my iPhone froze and rebooted so...

If you need more detailed instructions feel free to ask

Oct 30, 2007
If you have already hacked and jailbroken your iPhone you can use ssh to create the directory.

You have to use the installer to install the BSD Subsystem package then install openssh if you don't already have dropbear or some other ssh installed.

You can then ssh to the iPhone and created the directory, you can also use ssh to transfer your pdfs into the folder you just created. (use winscp and just copy and paste)

FYI though I just got finished doing this and when I tried to open a PDF on my iPhone I just got a blank screen. The second time my iPhone froze and rebooted so...

I use WinScp but it no longer recognizes my iPhone. I wonder if this is related to having version 1.1.1.

parag0n

Oct 31, 2007
I use WinScp but it no longer recognizes my iPhone. I wonder if this is related to having version 1.1.1.
By default winscp is in sftp mode which never worked for me. Only after I put it in "SCP" mode could I connect. I'm not sure if this is your problem. If not you can use putty or iPhoneinterface.exe and use putfile to upload them

itcomic

Oct 15, 2007

I have a similar questions as the first post. May you provide a detailed instructions ? (I have installed OpenSSH and BSD subsystem packages) what do you mean by "then ssh to the iPhone" ? is it some program i need to install on my desktop in order to use ssh this function to connect to iPhone to create directory ?

parag0n

Oct 31, 2007
I have a similar questions as the first post. May you provide a detailed instructions ? (I have installed OpenSSH and BSD subsystem packages) what do you mean by "then ssh to the iPhone" ? is it some program i need to install on my desktop in order to use ssh this function to connect to iPhone to create directory ?
You'll need to download an ssh program to your pc. Just do a google search for "winscp" then download and install winscp. Make sure that you iPhone is connected via wifi to the same network that your pc is on. When you open winscp you will see several boxes one of which is labeled "hostname" to get this information you need to open settings->wifi on you iPhone and click the blue arrow next to the name of your network. There will be a set of digits separated by periods (ip address) (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)that will be the hostname you need to type into the winscp login screen. The username will be "root" and the password will be "alpine" if you are using 1.1.1 firmware and "dottie" if you are using 1.02. Finally you use the drop down menu to change the file protocol to "SCP" then click login. If you get a message about the host taking too long just ignore it. It'll connect eventually. Once you're connected you will have full access to your iPhone's file system including the ability to create and delete files and folders so be careful. Winscp is pretty intuitive from here but if you need more info feel free to ask.

parag0n

Oct 31, 2007
I've been searching iPhoneinterface but without luck, what I found would not work on my pc.
http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr

Download the ibrickr 0.91 release and extract it there should be an iPhoneinterface.exe in there. Any files that you want to transfer to the iPhone must be in the same directory as iPhoneinterface.exe. rather than move my files around I just copy and paste iPhoneinterface.exe to the directory that my files are in and just open it from there.

Sep 17, 2007
http://cre.ations.net/creation/ibrickr

Download the ibrickr 0.91 release and extract it there should be an iPhoneinterface.exe in there. Any files that you want to transfer to the iPhone must be in the same directory as iPhoneinterface.exe. rather than move my files around I just copy and paste iPhoneinterface.exe to the directory that my files are in and just open it from there.
does it work with 1.1.1?

parag0n

Oct 31, 2007
does it work with 1.1.1?
Yeah I'm using 1.1.1 and it works fine for me, other iPhoneinterface.exe's didn't work after I upgraded but this one did. Sometimes I have to open a cmd window and cd to the folder its in and then open from the command line, others I can just double click it, I dunno why

Nov 18, 2007
Hi - have just got my new UK phone. The field test screen tells me the firmware is 1.1.2

Using WinSCP with the ip address entered correctly, usename = root and password = alpine I get the message "Network Error: Connection refused"

I've pinged the iPhone from the PC and get 4 good replies.

I don't use the windows firewall but do use a modem firewall. Other than register the iPhone to my WLAN (and I can see it connected) I haven't done anything at the firewall end.

Any suggestions anyone. I desperately need to hear yoda tell me I have a message from the dark side :)

Thanks in advance

reas0n

Silver
Jul 1, 2007
Stamford, CT
www.ohitsjustpete.com
Forgot to mention that I haven't Jailbroken the phone.

Is this necessary to get WinSCP to work. If so I'll have to read up on the topic.

Cheers
jailbreaking is necessary...you have to install ssh on your phone...there are many topics about jailbreaking so search and read up...its going to require that you downgrade to 1.1.1 also do make sure you read up on that also!

ChaosAttractor

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
Transfer PDF files to iPhone for Windows:

Prereqs:
--You need to jailbreak the iPhone. See other threads to do this.
--Your iPhone requires Wifi access

1) Install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH using Installer.App.
2) Download and install WinSCP (a SFTP or SSH client w/ a GUI interface, a plus if you're not familiar w/ the command line interface.)
3) In your iPhone, go to Settings/Wifi and click the wifi network you are using. Write down or make note of the ipaddress.
3b) It also helps to turn off AutoLock in Settings/General while you are using SSH or the program will stall while your iPhone sleeps.
4) Run WinSCP. Enter for
Hostname: iPhone IPAddress you got from the settings
UserName: root
Password: alpine (for firmware 1.1.1 or above)
dottie (I think for firmware 1.0.2)
Click Login
5) You should see a box indicating that it is logging on, etc and then a
Windows Explorer type window will appear.
6) In the left panel is your computer directory (most likely "My Documents"). In the right panel is the iPhone root directory (more specifically "/var/root")
7) In the right panel, double click the "Media" directory. Then from the Files Menu, click New, Directory and call it "PDF".
8) Move (drag and drop) your .pdf files from your computer into the "PDF" directory you created on your iPhone.
9) Exit WinSCP and your pdf files should load when you run the pdf viewer on the iPhone.

Nov 28, 2008
Transfer PDF files to iPhone for Windows:

Prereqs:
--You need to jailbreak the iPhone. See other threads to do this.
--Your iPhone requires Wifi access

1) Install BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH using Installer.App.
2) Download and install WinSCP (a SFTP or SSH client w/ a GUI interface, a plus if you're not familiar w/ the command line interface.)
3) In your iPhone, go to Settings/Wifi and click the wifi network you are using. Write down or make note of the ipaddress.
3b) It also helps to turn off AutoLock in Settings/General while you are using SSH or the program will stall while your iPhone sleeps.
4) Run WinSCP. Enter for
Hostname: iPhone IPAddress you got from the settings
UserName: root
Password: alpine (for firmware 1.1.1 or above)
dottie (I think for firmware 1.0.2)
Click Login
5) You should see a box indicating that it is logging on, etc and then a
Windows Explorer type window will appear.
6) In the left panel is your computer directory (most likely "My Documents"). In the right panel is the iPhone root directory (more specifically "/var/root")
7) In the right panel, double click the "Media" directory. Then from the Files Menu, click New, Directory and call it "PDF".
8) Move (drag and drop) your .pdf files from your computer into the "PDF" directory you created on your iPhone.
9) Exit WinSCP and your pdf files should load when you run the pdf viewer on the iPhone.
That is just great.. i have 3g iPhone version 2.2 now the installer is copletely different like they took everything out of it and left coulple of app comparably. Now my real problem here is that i cant find or download pdf viewer its not on installer or anywhere else..i did ssh successfully everything nice exept i cant download where ill be reviewing my pdf files,,please help thanks for all your help..