PDFViewer - No updates in forever?

kian

Nov 12, 2007
Hey how come the author stopped working on this? Isn't he still working on other apps which makes me wonder why he stopped on this one? It really needs landscape mode among other things. This is the main reason I bought the touch but I guess I'll have to wait for sdk to come out and see what comes to the table.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Since Adobe is in bed with Apple, I would sincerely hope we see a real PDF viewer come SDK time.

In the meantime, have you checked to see if Google Docs will handle it? I go over my work's powerpoint presentations through Google Docs all the time, I don't even need the file on my iPhone either :)

kian

Nov 12, 2007
Since Adobe is in bed with Apple, I would sincerely hope we see a real PDF viewer come SDK time.

In the meantime, have you checked to see if Google Docs will handle it? I go over my work's powerpoint presentations through Google Docs all the time, I don't even need the file on my iPhone either :)
Nah it doesn't accept pdf files.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Well, you could always use CS to output the PDF as sequential JPGs and sync those up.

Alternately, you could convert the pdf to html and view locally with the recent "file://" plugin for Safari.

kian

Nov 12, 2007
Well, you could always use CS to output the PDF as sequential JPGs and sync those up.

Alternately, you could convert the pdf to html and view locally with the recent "file://" plugin for Safari.
I think it'd be pretty impossible to convert a game strategy guide. It has tons of pictures, diagrams, etc.

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007

The bigboss "file://" plugin worked for me with a native .PDF file. Once in safari, zoom and landscape work great.

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
The bigboss "file://" plugin worked for me with a native .PDF file. Once in safari, zoom and landscape work great.
Thanks for this bit of info. I've been holding off on installing that Safari plugin because I really didn't have a use for it until now ;)

Thanks!

@kian

I hope you're on a Mac, I'm putting together a quick tutorial on how to view PDFs on the iPhone, and how to split large ones up into smaller ones for Safari. I think the cut off is about 4-5 megs for Safari PDFs, which isn't bad. I've tried eComics and eGuides, and 10 pages per pdf appears to be the sweet spot for me at least.

I should have this tutorial up in 45 minutes or so.

Edit, and here it is ;)

Last edited by a moderator: