PDFViewer Updated: Works with large PDF files now.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
awesome ! this is good news for those who like to read with iPhone
I know, and it's great that, apparently, searching will get added next.

I had been using Apache to run a Web server on my iPhone, and then I used 127.0.0.1 (localhost) in Safari to read locally-stored PDFs and Office docs. But a dedicated PDF viewer is gonna be much nicer.

Only thing I noticed is that it doesn't support landscape. The last version did, so I'd imagine landscape support will get added again, eventually.

Nice to see the third-party app scene taking off again after the slowdown after the 1.1.1 update.

--
Mike

bukwit

Oct 6, 2007
How do I upgrade this pdf viewer? I have installer? I am not technical and a windows dude...

thanks.
You just need to select the latest version of pdf viewer within installer and it will install for you. Theres no need to specifically upgrade. Also use the most latest version of installer. HTH

Oct 30, 2007
You just need to select the latest version of pdf viewer within installer and it will install for you. Theres no need to specifically upgrade. Also use the most latest version of installer. HTH

The new version of pdf viewer is not available from Installer?

How would I upgrade by downloading the new version?

bukwit

Oct 6, 2007
The new version of pdf viewer is not available from Installer?

How would I upgrade by downloading the new version?
Search for ibricker on google and install the latest version of ibricker. Connect your iPhone and select applications from ibricker and you will see the latest version of pdfviewer which i believe is 0.03.

Oct 30, 2007
Search for ibricker on google and install the latest version of ibricker. Connect your iPhone and select applications from ibricker and you will see the latest version of pdfviewer which i believe is 0.03.

I have version 1.1.1 so it wont work.

I can not create a pdf folder even when using finder.

bukwit

Oct 6, 2007
I have version 1.1.1 so it wont work.

I can not create a pdf folder even when using finder.
Then I believe you'll have to wait until the latest 0.03 version turns up on installer. Also check your sources under installer and see if u are able to add more sources.

Oct 30, 2007
If you have 1.1.1, all you need is a way to connect your computer to your iPhone (I use Cyberduck on my MacBook Pro) and just drag and drop this new version to the apps folder on the iPhone. Restart the iPhone and voila...you have the latest version of PDF Viewer.

I use Windows, what is the alternative to Cyberduck?

parag0n

Oct 31, 2007
If you have 1.1.1, all you need is a way to connect your computer to your iPhone (I use Cyberduck on my MacBook Pro) and just drag and drop this new version to the apps folder on the iPhone. Restart the iPhone and voila...you have the latest version of PDF Viewer.
This version didn't work for me it just immediately crashed whenever I tried to open it

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
This version didn't work for me it just immediately crashed whenever I tried to open it
That usually means the permissions weren't set. You can't usually just copy an app and have it work; you need to set its permissions too.

It doesn't really matter now: PDFViewer 0.3 is available via Installer!

--
Mike

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
That usually means the permissions weren't set. You can't usually just copy an app and have it work; you need to set its permissions too.

It doesn't really matter now: PDFViewer 0.3 is available via Installer!

--
Mike
Mike, can you save PDF docs to the iPhone for viewing later? If so, how?

edit: nevermind--->var/root/media/pdf

parag0n

Oct 31, 2007
Ok so I got the pdfviewer .03 via the installer and I must say, I still think it needs a lot of work. No landscape viewing, when I open an ebook I have to start reading from the very beginning and navigate page by page to the desired page. Also there's something weird about the zoom feature that I can't quite put my finger on (no pun intended). Anywho I'm sure they'll fix these problems in future releases but for now I think apache server + safari is still the best solution for viewing pdfs on the iPhone.

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Can this read purchased PDF files, and how well is it for just reading ebooks. There are severel new ebooks out there I want to read and the old method of buying them and converting them from lit to txt isn't work. I never pirate just remove the drm from books I own. So anyway how is it for reading ebooks?

easy_tomy

Feb 25, 2008
hy all...
i am using windows... and i can't put any files on my iPhone... windows sees it as a Camera, and does not alow me to copy any files on it !
what can i do ? how can i store .pdf files on my iPhone ?
please help !

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
hy all...
i am using windows... and i can't put any files on my iPhone... windows sees it as a Camera, and does not alow me to copy any files on it !
what can i do ? how can i store .pdf files on my iPhone ?
please help !
You'll need to use a program that lets you access the iPhone, such as ibrickr, or wirelessly with a program called Winscp. There are many threads on the forum, run a search on the subject using ibrickr or winscp as keywords.