Pebble has me pretty excited for Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by iErik, Oct 17, 2014.

1. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I've been intrigued by the Apple Watch ever since the rumors started about it, mostly for the health/exercise tracking capabilities - everything else would just be a perk. The only issue was I haven't worn a watch in 15-20 years. I wasn't sure if I'd be into wearing one again and I really didn't want to experiment with a new $350+ Apple Watch. Since the Pebble price dropped to $99 (or $199 for the steel) I decided to pick one up to test drive the wearable device.

I was convinced I'd return it within a day but all I have to say is that this thing is great! I was sold in no time. I love being able to control my iPod or Pandora while I'm running. There are also many running apps that integrate between the Pebble and iPhone. Being able to thumbs up/down songs on Pandora from the watch is great, too!

The notifications are nice; I like the light vibration on the wrist. I can now keep my phone on silent in my pocket and not worry about missing anything (sometimes I can't feel my phone vibrate in my pocket). Anything that's set up as a notification on the iPhone will also go to the watch. Being able to quickly look at the watch to see if a notification is something I need to take care or right away is nice, especially when at work. You get to preview enough of the email to get the gist and on a few of the text messages I've received have been cut off (from my long winded friends!).

Just wanted to share my experience. Anyone on the fence might want to try out the Pebble (I recommend a new band, the stock on is pretty bland). I'll be using my white and gray Pebble till the Apple Watch arrives! The Pebble is great but I'm convinced the Apple Watch with be an even better experience. Can't wait!!

2. Apple4me

Apple4me Evangelist
    Gold

I'm in the same boat. I haven't worn a watch in 20+ years, but am very interested in the Apple Watch. I am sure that I will be purchasing one on opening order day, like I do with most every other new Apple product ;)

3. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I have been wearing Pebbles for about almost a year. I started out with the plastic one... I loved it. But one day working in the yard I accidentally gashed the display. So after a few days of not having it. I broke down and ordered a Pebble Steel. I honestly don't think I could ever go without a smart watch. I guess the true test being, I really had to go buy another one.

I am sure I will be checking out the Apple Watch as soon as I can. I'm really looking forward to finding out everything it will do.

4. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I really like the idea of test driving a "smart watch" by getting a Pebble first. Especially if I happen to be able to pick one up this weekend when I'm in the big city at Best Buy, and then return it within 30 days. ;) Anyone know off the top of their head if Best Buy charges a restock fee on something like that?

5. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I totally would have dropped the extra $100 on the Steel if the aWatch wasn't just around the corner. It would look great with a black steel band :)

Best Buy's return policy is 15 days now unless you are a Silver member or above in their rewards program. There shouldn't be a restock fee to return the watch, but I'll be you keep it till the aWatch comes out! :)

6. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I got my first one at Best Buy for 17 dollars. Best 17 dollars I have ever spent.
    I had 2 best buy gift cards for 100 dollars and the watch was on ale for 117. Worked out well for me.
    I do recommend trying one out. I love readying my notifications without anyone knowing.

I'm often on site with customers or in a meeting and like not having to pull my phone out to read something.
    Just a quick glance at my watch to see if it's important or not.

7. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I ended up liking the Pebble so much I traded up to the Steel today. I'm liking the higher quality version. This should tide me over till the Apple Watch come out! :)

8. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

OK, I got my Pebble Friday night. And I can't figure out how, but it's STILL IN THE BOX!! I must break it out tomorrow to get testing on it and decide what to do with it:

1. Return it to Best Buy on November 1(if I'm going to be in the big city that day).
    2. Mail it back to Best By by October 28, to make sure it arrives by November 1.
    3. Keep it past November 1 and either :
    A. Keep it for the long haul and NOT get an Apple Watch.
    B. Pass it on to my wife when I get an Apple Watch(although I doubt she'd wear/use it since she's not a watch person).
    C. Pass it on to one of my kids when I get an Apple Watch.
    D. Sell it on eBay or Craigslist when I get an Apple Watch.

I'm looking forward to testing it tomorrow.

9. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Is it gold? :D

10. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Not yet, but that's not something a little spray paint can't fix!!

11. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Ok, so I've been sporting this thing for a few days now. I gotta admit in digging it. It's gonna be tough to return it next weekend and go without for a femme months til Apple watch is released.

I love being able to just look at the watch to see who the latest text, gb post, or whatever is from. Even phone calls. A little disappointed in the limited integration with runkeeper. But I do dig that too.

12. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

I love my Pebble, too. I've had it for nearly a year, now.