People are yellow

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
^ I had the same problem and with the flash on it made the hand or arm stand out and background black because of the wb issue. I sent mine and my gf back they were a week 23 they sent me a week 27 which still had the defects but my gf got a week 29 and no problems on hers.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Were they both taken in the same location? I don't see that white wall in the first pic. The white background in second pic could help in setting white balance. Completely black backgrounds seem to cause the yellow tint problem the most.
They were taken in my house, not at the exact same spot but that is irrelevant. Also, the first pic wasn't taken with a black background, it was in my room but you can clearly see there is a yellowing issue regardless of white balance. Both photos were taken in dark rooms where the only light is from the LED. This is a great side by side comparison for those who are wondering if their iPhone 4's have the yellowing issue or not and something they can show reps at the Apple Store if they are incredulous. The test is best taken in dark rooms with flesh tones. Try it yourself and see if it makes you look jaundiced.

Tinman, if you still question the authenticity of the comparison photos, just to show you it is a definite issue, I will retake the photo at night in the same position the first pic was taken so I can assuage your doubts.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
They were taken in my house, not at the exact same spot but that is irrelevant. They were both in dark rooms where the only light is from the LED. This is a great side by side comparison for those who are wondering if their iPhone 4's have the yellowing issue or not and something they can show reps at the Apple Store if they are incredulous. The test is best taken in dark rooms with flesh tones. Try it yourself and see if it makes you look jaundiced.
Oh I know about the problem for sure. It is just that I know that auto white balance tries to "see" something white as a reference. That doesn't mean it still won't be yellow, if taken in front of that white wall, but maybe not quite as bad. Who knows.... at least the NEW iPhone doesn't seem to have the problem.

Michael

reginaalear

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Western Kentucky
Both of my phones have this yellow issue. I exchanged it once and sent in for another replacement, but they wouldn't exchange it this time because they were not able to duplicate issue. I just got my phone back today and it still has the yellow pictures. I had a week 25 now I have a week 26. I was told I can't get a advanced replacement since they don't see a issue.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Here is another comparison with the new replacement iPhone 4 photo taken in the same dark room as the original iPhone 4 in the picture to assure everyone that the white balance doesn't cause that drastic of a difference. There definitely is a yellowing issue on some of these phones.

C

Cleverkit.com

If you have a case on your phone that was designed before the iPhone 4 was released, you may find that it reflects the flash back in to the path of the camera and causes this issue.

Have you tried it without a case on?

reginaalear

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Western Kentucky
Does anyone else besides me still have a phone that takes yellow pictures? I really wish I knew if the 4.1 was going to fix this problem. I'm going to try to get another phone, but so far no luck because I'm told the 4.1 will fix this issue.

Hqcariello

Bronze
Jul 7, 2010
Tampa Bay Area, Florida
An Apple advisor told me this:

"I received a response from the engineers about the escalation. They said they have received reports of this issue and are currently in the process of investigating exactly what is causing the problem. They hope to have a resolution to this issue soon and I will be sure to let you know about it as soon as i get word. I know that it doesn't help at the present time, but just hang tight and I'm sure something will happen soon."

reginaalear

Bronze
Jun 21, 2010
Western Kentucky
I have week 31 build (brand new) and also have yellow flesh prob.
Wow I know most people said after week 27 or 28 the problem was fixed. I guess maybe that isn't true in all cases. I am planning to try for a advanced replacement this time. Last time I was told after they were unable to duplicate the issue that even if I tried to do a advanced replacement I couldn't because there is nothing wrong with the phone. She also told me that once the 4.1 comes out if that doesn't work then I could get it exchanged. As far as I know if I get the replacement they can't make me give the phone back even if they don't see the problem so I'm going to give it a try. I just hope they don't try to keep the money that they put a hold on.

MomPOM

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
NW Burbs of Chicago
I exchanged mine and got a week 27 build. Still have yellow people. I'm just going to wait for the software update and see how it goes. It's annoying but I can deal for now.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
If you have a case on your phone that was designed before the iPhone 4 was released, you may find that it reflects the flash back in to the path of the camera and causes this issue.

Have you tried it without a case on?
There was no case on the phone in both instances when I took the pictures. Heck, I didn't even have a case ordered when I took the first picture. But at any rate, I know how the pictures look when a case is on that reflects the flash back into the picture; it's more hazy and washed out than anything else.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
There was no case on the phone in both instances when I took the pictures. Heck, I didn't even have a case ordered when I took the first picture. But at any rate, I know how the pictures look when a case is on that reflects the flash back into the picture; it's more hazy and washed out than anything else.
This is a hardware issue, my iPhone 4 was replaced without any problems by the advanced replacement program, I refused to go to an Apple retail store and get attitude from a geek behind the counter that doesn't know crap about this issue.

Watcher

Zealot
Gold
Mar 29, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
This is a hardware issue, my iPhone 4 was replaced without any problems by the advanced replacement program, I refused to go to an Apple retail store and get attitude from a geek behind the counter that doesn't know crap about this issue.
I think you read my mind verbatim! Or one of my previous posts on the subject. :eek:k:eek:k