People can't hear me but I can hear them!

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by Zanthe, May 7, 2015.

1. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

More problems with my iPhone 6.

First it was the phone not ringing. That seems to have cleared up with a restart of my AT&T MicroCell. Maybe just a coincidence I don't know.

Recently within the last two weeks or so I have been having problems with making calls on my iP6 and people on the other end can't hear me. I hear them say "hello, hello, hello and then they hang up. The one that was really troubling is when I called emergency road service and the guy on the other end couldn't hear me. Holy cow.

So I called Apple (I have Applecare+) and went through the usually BS. Update your software, do a hard reset, blah, blah. Nothing really works.

The bigger issue is that it's an intermittent problem. Most times people can hear me but sometimes even three calls in a row they can't hear me. Almost certainly is a hardware problem, no? I am not certain if it has ever happened when I have had a head set plugged in but I can't be sure of that.

Solution? The Applecare Tech is sending me into the Apple Store (tomorrow) and they will probably replace the phone?

Before I get there though I thought I'd ask if others were experiencing this issue and if anybody found a solution. Thanks.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That happens to Napoleon and me every day. A lot of times, it happens several times a day. It started around the same time that I got the iPhone 6, but it's gotten significantly worse lately. I can't hear him when he calls, but he can hear me. Then he hangs up and calls back and I can hear him, but he can't hear me. Usually, the third time is a charm. It's also happened a few times when I've called other people. They can't hear me and then hang up. I restored the phone to factory settings a few months back and it didn't help. I've reset my network settings several times. I'm not sure if it's AT&T or the iPhone. I'm still on 8.1.2, so I don't know if a software update fixed it.

3. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Ugh. Annoying. When it happens the person i am calling can't hear me. Still it seems like mic problem. And yes if I call back one, two or three times it will finally works. Other times it's not a problem. :confused:

I just assume there is something wrong with the mic...whether a loose solder connection or something like that. I'll probably insist that they replace the phone. They suggested that i restore too but i'm not doing that. Before I called Apple i update to 8.3 so that should be pretty close to a restore. Didn't help. It is definitely a problem but it doesn't seem to be really widespread. And yes it's getting really old and annoying. Just think if you're in a real emergency and whomever you're calling for help can't hear you? WTH?

I don't think this is an AT&T issue. There were similar issues with the iPhone 4... and people found a Mickey Mouse workaround. That's not right.

4. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

And it just happened to me just now. :mad:

I called and the person on the other end said "hello, hello, hello" and then hung up. I called back and it was fine. Dayum. It's maddening because it's so intermittent.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Updating is definitely not the same as a factory restore. Always restore to factory settings before taking a phone to Apple when you are not 100% certain it is hardware. You need to remove your data before you take it in anyway. Why not just do that and test it first? I don't think it's the microphone. If it is, you, Kevin and I all have defective microphones that only have problems upon initiating and receiving calls. If it were the mic, it should happen at random times during calls as well. I really doubt it's a loose connection on all three of our phones. I think it's either firmware or AT&T. You can rule out that a restore to factory settings on 8.3 fixes it. I can't because I don't want to lose my jailbreak. You can always restore from backup afterwards if it does continue, so you have nothing to lose.

6. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

@Europa --- OK that makes some sense I think. Has @Napoleon PhoneApart ever restored to factory settings or is he also JB?

So help me out. If I restore to Factory settings...then what? How do I get all my data and apps back like it is right now? I never do stuff like this because usually my phone "just works"... :p

7. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I restored my iPhone 5 as new a month ago. I had to enter my email accounts back in settings. Many things restore from iCloud, like Calendars, reminders, and notes. I did not restore from an iCloud back up. I had to download all my apps back and log in to many of them. So if you have a password keeper like 1Password, that would be one of the first to download. It wasn't that bad. My phone runs better.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5. ☮

8. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

He's jailbroken. He restored it a while back when the current firmware had a jailbreak.

I set my new iPhones up from scratch every year. I don't want anything from the old devices on them that could potentially cause problems. It's not that bad. It takes me about two hours. The bulk of that time is going though and setting up each of my apps.

Sync your apps and music through iTunes on your computer. Log into iCloud in the Settings app. This is entirely different from applying an iCloud backup - do not do that. Logging into iCloud will sync your contacts, bookmarks, notes, etc. to the phone. Then just input your settings and log into and set up your apps.

9. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Thanks Mindi. I'll go see what the Apple people say tomorrow since I have the appointment but maybe restoring is the way to go. But yes, even getting a new phone I'd have to go through the whole hassle of setting everything up again. Can't just restore from a backup which is what I always do.

BTW, it happened to me twice more today. This time a friend called me and when I answered he couldn't hear me. I called him back and he couldn't hear me. I called back again and the third time we were able to talk.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They might just restore it and tell you to test it if you tell them you haven't tried that yet. I would cancel the appointment and troubleshoot this first. It's too soon to take it to Apple. If they do repace it, you'll never know if a restore would have fixed it.

11. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Well I'm interested in what they might have to say. Probably nothing because they won't know. I'll do the restore myself and if that doesn't fix it maybe get it replaced.

12. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

My money is on AT&T. I have had the same problem with iPhone 4, 5 and 6. I must admit your problem seems ten times worse than what I've been experiencing. It happens to me only once or twice a week when calling or being called by my son (iPhone5s), my Daughter-In-Law (iPhone 4) and my Wife (iPhone5). We are all on AT&T phones. Let us know how you make out.

13. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

They won't know. They'll just do what you could do at home (restore it). If you've done all the troubleshooting and it continues, they might replace it.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's my guess as well. I've never heard of it happening to anyone on Verizon.

15. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

The more I think about it the more AT&T seems to rise to the top as the likely problem. Mindi, Nap, me and iPutz all on AT&T. Once again I'll see if I get lucky and get a knowledge helper at the Apple Store (not likely...most of the time I know more than they do) who may have heard of the issue. Maybe I can narrow it down to the carrier. I have been thinking about the restore and what a PITA that will be and maybe for zero return. O_o

16. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Had my appointment at the Genius Bar and to my surprise the guy I got knew his stuff. Very knowledgeable.

Anyway, he did a complete diagnostics on my phone. Made calls, voice memos etc and the phone checked out 100% OK.

Then we talked about where this seems to happen. The answer is at my house. Since the inception of the iPhone (and even before with Sprint) I've had reception issues at my house and was only able to hold calls when AT&T gave me the MicroCell. The tech seems to think it may have something to do with AT&T and specifically the way packets are sent through the MicroCell. He suggested that I call AT&T and have them completely remove the Microcell and then set it up fresh. He also said it would be a good test to turn the MicroCell off and see if I experience the problem. Trouble with that is that I may not be able to make any calls at all... lol

We also talked about restoring the phone to factory settings. He looked at me and said "you can if you want but I really doubt it's a software issue with the phone". So bottom line he didn't think that was the issue.

So as Mindi surmised it is very likely this is an AT&T issue one way or the other. Yesterday I had no issues. I know Mindi and Naps don't have the MicroCell in the middle of the equation but sure seems curious.

Let me see what the AT&T people say on Monday and I'll report back.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

@Zanthe I don't know the specifics on the microcells, but can you turn it off to see of maybe AT&T has better service in your area now?

18. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple
    Gold

Yeah I can give it shot although about a month ago my MicroCell was recycling or something and it didn't end well trying to make phone calls. Think it's worth a shot to give it a try for a few days just to see what happens and eliminate (or not) one variable.

19. iksn

iksn Member
    Silver

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is the microcell. I 've had one for years and that just doesn't sound like one of the common microcell problems(have checked out a lot of microcell problems/forums on it over the years).
    What I believe IS the common thread in all this is AT&T. My more recent similar issue: I call my wife; my 6 plus to her 6 on AT&T and it doesn't ring and goes straight to her voicemail. Did it like 20 calls for 2 days straight. I could call my mother's ancient flip phone no problem. Called my wife from my work landline, no problem. I did a hard boot, reset network settings, after about 20 minutes problem was gone. Not even sure which of those two worked or if it was just a coincidence. This has happened before for a couple of days and just stopped.

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Kevin and I don't use MicroCells, so I don't think it has anything to do with this. I have good reception at home. It's likely AT&T, but I still recommended a restore if you are really determined to find the cause.