PEOPLE STOP UPDATING iTunes

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
please people com'on....why do you guys keep updating iTune if theres no major change or benefit to it ? then we have to hear everybody complain...oh no, all my ringtones are gone, or oh no, my 3rd party app stopped working....

do some research and stop dreaming that Apple is going to release a major update (i have). all they are going to do is keep releasing bug fixes, and that's that. maybe some games or wigdets in the future, but that's because it benefits them.

i guess it's up to the hackers to help us out with what we need.
(they've done a pretty good job so far!)

i haven't updated my iTunes since 7.3.1 .....why , because there hasn't been a good reason for me to do it. even on the iPhone too, if an update comes out and it's not worth updating, than i wont.

if i see a major change (beneficial), then yes...i'll update.

Pinhead

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
please people com'on....why do you guys keep updating iTune if theres no major change or benefit to it ? then we have to hear everybody complain...oh no, all my ringtones are gone, or oh no, my 3rd party app stopped working....

do some research and stop dreaming that Apple is going to release a major update (i have). all they are going to do is keep releasing bug fixes, and that's that. maybe some games or wigdets in the future, but that's because it benefits them.

i guess it's up to hackers to help us out with what we need.

i haven't updated my iTunes since 3.2.1 .....why , because there hasn't been a good reason for me to do it. even on the iPhone too, if an update comes out and it's not worth updating, than i wont.

amen to that

socalkevin21

Bronze
Jul 8, 2007

i guess it's up to the hackers to help us out with what we need.
(they've done a pretty good job so far!)

i haven't updated my iTunes since 3.2.1 .....why , because there hasn't been a good reason for me to do it. even on the iPhone too, if an update comes out and it's not worth updating, than i wont.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but don't you have to atleast have 7.xx for iTunes to be compatible with your iPhone?

TomTomTuning

Bronze
Aug 10, 2007
Camp Hill, PA
It hasn't been a problem yet.

I update mine all the time, but yet i still have ringtones and apps.
A bug fix is a bug fix, if they are gonna make the phone perform better then what it has already. Then be my guess.

I know a lot of these bug fixes could be to stop certain things fro working, but it will forever be hacked.

If you don't want to update, Then don't.
Its totally up to you.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I still have not updated from the 7.3.x version as there has not been a reason to. I don't upgrade in any cases unless there is clear benefit. With whatever is upcoming on the next firmware I will still not update my version of iTunes unless that firmware upgrade requires it.

As for that upgrade, while not major to some, might be to others. That 1.1.1 supposedly has the international keyboard and the ability to have EDGE not active while roaming (and that iTunes store thing). Personally the EDGE thing to me is is very worth it as I have 5 trips to make still this year where I will be out of the country. That = phone can be used and no data transmitted. You can say "don't use data and you won't get charged" but have you ever unlocked your phone to see a screen up that you did not leave it on? Has happened a few times to me where the weather or stock widget is open when I unlock and it will pull data, so anyway.

cflamm

Bronze
Jun 6, 2007
if your phone is not hacked, there is no reason not to update.

but as others have said, i personally am more than happy with all the apps erica and greg and all the other great people have been coming up with. i have custom ringtones using the m4r method. i haven't updated iTunes since 7.4.0 and have no compulsion to do so. as to further updates, we'll see.

if 1.1.1 is just about wi fi iTunes and international roaming, i could care less. not worth losing what i have on my phone now via hacks.

when Apple starts producing apps that i want and will use, and drop the web 2.0 stuff, then i will update. until then i will stay with the same firmware and the same iTunes.

as far as 3g goes, i really don't care. edge is fast enough for me. is it blazing? no, but does it really need to be.

i think too many people are getting caught up with what all the other phones have, what should be available, technology, yada, yada, yada, instead of being satisfied with a perfectly serviceable phone, and a beautiful interface to boot.

i think they said it very well in "jurassic park:" just because something CAN be done, it doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be done.

has Apple taken advantage? maybe. could they offer more? maybe. could they charge less? maybe. but the bottom line is, for me anyway, i like the phone fine the way it is. do we NEED all the things some are griping about? i think that is the REAL question.

katra

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
if your phone is not hacked, there is no reason not to update.

but as others have said, i personally am more than happy with all the apps erica and greg and all the other great people have been coming up with. i have custom ringtones using the m4r method. i haven't updated iTunes since 7.4.0 and have no compulsion to do so. as to further updates, we'll see.

if 1.1.1 is just about wi fi iTunes and international roaming, i could care less. not worth losing what i have on my phone now via hacks.

when Apple starts producing apps that i want and will use, and drop the web 2.0 stuff, then i will update. until then i will stay with the same firmware and the same iTunes.

as far as 3g goes, i really don't care. edge is fast enough for me. is it blazing? no, but does it really need to be.

i think too many people are getting caught up with what all the other phones have, what should be available, technology, yada, yada, yada, instead of being satisfied with a perfectly serviceable phone, and a beautiful interface to boot.

i think they said it very well in "jurassic park:" just because something CAN be done, it doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be done.

has Apple taken advantage? maybe. could they offer more? maybe. could they charge less? maybe. but the bottom line is, for me anyway, i like the phone fine the way it is. do we NEED all the things some are griping about? i think that is the REAL question.

well said cflamm !

garretwp

Bronze
Sep 3, 2007
I totally agree! Many people who do hack their phone know that doing any kind of update may break something or prevent something. It would be best to wait until someone can confirm if that application is worth the update or not. But that does require someone to actually do the download and try it out. Another thing to add is instead of demanding a work around right away, why not downgrade until someone can take the time to actually find a work around and not whine every second how nothing it being done right away. It is a privilege to have the ability to hack the iPhone and have the many great applications and hacks offered to us. I give out many thanks to everyone who put their effort in making this all possible.

- Garrett

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
It's about wasted potential. We practically have a portable mac computer sitting in our pockets, completely going to waste! We want our little mac computers to do something other than just talk on them, surf the non-flash internet, and listen to music.
We don't NEED cellphones at all. Shoot, we don't NEED PHONES at all. Face it, you WANT a phone. You will survive without one. Your job might be dependent on one, but you don't even NEED a job! All anyone needs is air, water, food, clothing and shelter. Get those and you will survive. Homeless people even manage to do it. If they didn't, they would die within a month of hitting the streets. Yes, their life is difficult, but you used the word "NEED." And you used it in the broadest sense of the word. And all anyone needs in the broad sense are those things I mentioned. So, in that sense, you WANT an iPhone. As long as you are WANTING a phone, why limit yourself?

I also like the phone the way it is. But we humans are a creative, inventive, progressive thinking people. We can imagine possibility. So we envision things like GPS to go along with the map feature. Or better yet, things that no other phone has, like NES games. Or how about, "gee, it sure would be niiiice if Safari didn't crash every 10 minutes?" We recognize it when things don't quite work right, or when two similar things aren't consistently designed. Comparing and contrasting, looking to the future... that's all part of being human.

So to tell us to stop envisioning is to tell us to stop being human.