People won't stop touching my iPhone

Selfetc

Mar 9, 2009
Hey everyone! I was wondering if anyone else has noticed other's overwhelming urge to touch and explore your iPhone. I have owned many phones in the past but this is the first time I have experienced this phenomenon. On many occasions in the weeks since purchasing my iPhone people have been drawn to using it, with or without my consent. It ranges from people asking to check their email, to me setting it down (at work for example) only to come back to find someone using it when I return. This is only slightly annoying until I realize the last thing I viewed was my personal journal or photos meant for my boyfriend of our cat using my boob as a pillow when I woke up that morning. This is not okay! Am I alone in this?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I show my iPhone to people... only really close friends get to "use it"

Picazzo

Zealot
Gold
Jan 21, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I got my first V1 iPhone from NYC (I'm Danish..) in September 07, and I remember the reaction from the people looking at the "strange piece of gadget" I got.

Now the 3G it's my personal "mini-computer"/phone, and I don't let other people playing with it....don't wanna hear any "ups + crash".... ;)

PepeRB29

Mar 21, 2008
8 mile
i was at a michigan football game right after the iPhone just came out. some stupid girl next to us was showing it off, and right when she was handing it to someone a big play happened on the field, everyone started jumping up and down and sure enough her iPhone got knocked out of her hand. it fell about 3 rows down and landed on the hard concrete, she quickly dove down to grab it but the damage was done, screen had a bunch of cracks in it and it wouldn't respond to any touch. i couldn't help but laugh at the stupid b*$%* who sat there for the rest of the game looking at it in disbelief.

i really don't let anyone "examine" my iPhone because if they broke it, i probably would break them :)

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Put the pass code lock on that's what I do.
+1 on that. I don't have a problem with people touching mine but if you want to keep them from seeing what's on yours, the passcode is the way to go.

ADDam

Bronze
Mar 2, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
IF I let someone touch it, I hand it to them with it still "Sleeping." 7/10 can't even figure out how to continue, that's when I proceed to remove my phone from their hands.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
A few weeks ago, my brother had a few kids over for his grandson's birthday party. One of the kids was Carissa, a girl who I'd guess is about eight or so. I know her family a little bit, and all their kids seem to be great. She saw me playing Fastlane (street racing game - great, BTW) on my iPhone and she asked if she could play it. So I let her play a couple times, and I actually let her leave the room and be out of my sight with my iPhone for about a half hour while she played the game.

I must be getting old to have such a lapse of judgment as that. However, she was very responsible with my iPhone and didn't let anyone else use it or allow it to come to harm, so now she's one of the only people I'll actually let use my iPhone and walk around a corner with it.

I'm so weak...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
What's annoying is when you're using the iPhone and people start tapping around the screen. I'm always like WTF? Just want to slap them around a bit...

People even do that to my Bold. It pisses me off. 1- It's not touchscreen. I'm like are you ****ing retarded? 2- The screen is not as durable as the iPhone's. Hands off.

/rant

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
Last year I think people were more curious about the phone but I still get people who want to look at it. Especially at work when its sitting on it's dock at my desk. One girl always picks it up and goes right to my pictures to see if I have any new ones. I could never be so bold, I feel that a phone can be a very personal thing and I wouldn't go around picking up other people's phones.

coal0101

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
Last year I think people were more curious about the phone but I still get people who want to look at it. Especially at work when its sitting on it's dock at my desk. One girl always picks it up and goes right to my pictures to see if I have any new ones. I could never be so bold, I feel that a phone can be a very personal thing and I wouldn't go around picking up other people's phones.

You should leave her a pic of your ass...or even better, take a bunch of pics of her when she is not looking. She will look at it and it will be like 50 pics of her...creepy.

The Apple

Zealot
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
Indiana
You should leave her a pic of your ass...or even better, take a bunch of pics of her when she is not looking. She will look at it and it will be like 50 pics of her...creepy.
That would be awesome! Take a series of pictures of her with her back turned to you but getting closer to her with each picture and as she flips through the pictures getting closer and closer each time, you sneak around her and when she reaches the last picture and looks up to see you, you will be behind her. She will turn around and you can look psycho and snatch the phone from her hands and creep her out. If that doesn't work, sleep with her husband/boyfriend and document the event with the camera. Then enjoy the look of surprise on her face when she views that photoshoot! You will not have to worry about her any longer, because she will have killed you I'm sure. :p

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Connie: People here have suggested you put a pass code on your phone that would definitely deter everyone from just feeling free to browse. But in case you don't even if you do, there is an App called Picture Safe. I was interested in getting it myself. It's not free. It's $1.99. The reviews are good and it appears to be a good app. You can create a Password Protected storage area for any image from the camera, Pboto Album or the Net and the password makes so no one can get in there and see them.

There is another one called Photo Vault but that one has reports of a lot of crashes.

Search for Picture Safe and read about it. Dag on! This sounds like an endorsement.:( Don't worry, it's not. I'm just passing along some info i am insterested in myself. :)

It does seem like a helpful app for you Connie no matter if you are going to use a password for your phone or not.

flabyboy

Jun 25, 2008
Minnesota
just buy the ifart app and set up the security fart option. next time someone pics up your iPhone they will be greeted with flatulence

Marty Mar

Bronze
Jul 7, 2008
Cortland Ohio
My canned response is this...

Extend hand with phone in it and say "sure you can see it... Next time your at the mall stop at the AT&T store" then proceed to put it in my pocket.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
My canned response is this...

Extend hand with phone in it and say "sure you can see it... Next time your at the mall stop at the AT&T store" then proceed to put it in my pocket.
I bet that goes over great.