Perception of those around me iPhone vs. BB

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rotobadger

Aug 11, 2007
Since I've had my iPhone for a few months I've noticed that those around me always perceive me as "playing" with my iPhone when I'm checking email for businesss and responding. This happens a great deal when I'm in the midst of people who all have Blackberrys and use them quite frequently. In fact it is not unusual for me to be having a face to face conversation with someone while they are actively checking their Blackberry and responding.

Although I am doing the very same thing, they are "working" on their Blackberry and I am "playing" with my iPhone.

Interesting...

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
interesting..... Mac folks have heard the same thing from PC folks for years -- not as much anymore. But early on "work" on a computer was not supposed to be a fun and enjoyable experience so Mac folks were characterized as "playing".

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Since I've had my iPhone for a few months I've noticed that those around me always perceive me as "playing" with my iPhone when I'm checking email for businesss and responding. This happens a great deal when I'm in the midst of people who all have Blackberrys and use them quite frequently. In fact it is not unusual for me to be having a face to face conversation with someone while they are actively checking their Blackberry and responding.

Although I am doing the very same thing, they are "working" on their Blackberry and I am "playing" with my iPhone.

Interesting...
What is also kind of funny is that on the BB some people like to put an iPhone theme on it so that the home screen looks like the iPhone screen.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
lol yeah everyday at school i take my phone out lets say...during lunch, ill get a txt from someone and ill take it out to txt them back , and when i do, everyonr thinks im showing off! it was kinda funny at first but now its just anoyying....reminds me of how people were always saying how they HATE the iPhone because its stupid, and when i ask whats stupid about it, they jkust say because, its just stupid...lol so easily jealous...

rrippy

Jul 7, 2007
Each has its place

I have both a Blackberry 8800 and an iPhone. Each has its place. The iPhone cannot do what the Blackberry does, especially with Lotus Notes, and the Blackberry is not as media useful as the iPhone. The businesss environment will still use the Blackberry for some time - that is until the iPhone can really duplicate its functions. Both are great devices.

Interesting...

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
yes I get the same feeling from BB users.

The other day while at lunch I needed to fire off a quick email reply. Well when I need to I can type pretty fast on the iphone--that's when auto-correct earns its keep. Anyway a guy at the next table reached over and said, "wow, you surely couldn't have typed anything meaningful on that thing."

--
Mike

Scholar

Oct 3, 2007
I have both a Blackberry 8800 and an iPhone. Each has its place. The iPhone cannot do what the Blackberry does, especially with Lotus Notes, and the Blackberry is not as media useful as the iPhone. The businesss environment will still use the Blackberry for some time - that is until the iPhone can really duplicate its functions. Both are great devices.
I too have both. I have an 8800 from work and have grown quite attached to it. For my personal unit I've picked up the iPhone. I guess it looks pretty bad when a Mobile Handset Tech/BlackBerry Support person goes and picks up something that isn't a BlackBerry.

Each have their uses... but I choose the iPhone hands down. :laugh2:

ataq

Bronze
Sep 17, 2007
i bought the 8300 blackberry curve the day before the iPhone came out, i thought i had it all. awesome email capabilites, 2mp camera with flash, very loud speaker and multimedia capabilties galore. but i did not use it for the businesss purposes as i thought i was gonna do. so to have a more fun to play with device i went and got my an iPhone the moment i heard its price dropped. it does everything i need it to do and can handle some work as well. but to what everyone else says, i am playing with my iPhone instead of being productive with my blackberry

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I had an 8800 but now have an iPhone and struggle with which one I really want daily. The Curve with GPS will be out soon and I have heard (know nothing) that an even newer BB will be out early 2008 with some nifty features.

I loved my BB for the IM-like email and some really useful apps.
I love my iPhone for its gorgeous display and just how fun it is to use, not to mention the just plain sick internets.

I am surrounded by phones of all types so the iPhone is pretty accepted although it is still assumed it is for personal use as no one is issued the iPhone..

rrippy

Jul 7, 2007
Typing

It's not about typing - you can adapt to any keyboard and become proficient. Much of the corporate world uses Lotus Notes (good or bad) as their main email and calendar system and much more... The iPhone cannot easily sync to a Lotus Notes calendar or receive the email like a BB can using a BB server. It's not that one is better than the other (I have both) - it's that one functions better in the corporate world, if their system is Notes. I'm not putting down the iPhone - it's great.

The other day while at lunch I needed to fire off a quick email reply. Well when I need to I can type pretty fast on the iphone--that's when auto-correct earns its keep. Anyway a guy at the next table reached over and said, "wow, you surely couldn't have typed anything meaningful on that thing."

--
Mike

Redfor

Bronze
Jul 31, 2007
Fort Knox, KY area
Me personally believe each phone has its place. If I had ALOT of sensitive material that I deffinately didn't want to get out, I'd use a BB. I love the security that the BB offers and being able to erase and kill (brick) a phone from remote is really cool to me. I personally see a BB more as a Buisness phone, where as the iPhone is more well rounded geared toward entertainment than anything.
I personally enjoy my iPhone more than I ever have with my BB, but I also believe in...
" I work to live, and not live to work. "

durkadurka

Bronze
Sep 26, 2007
The perception of the iPhone is that it is a toy. And IMO compared to the BB it is.

Even if you do use yours for work most people don't and most people who have BB's use them for work so that is just the opinions that are out there.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
The perception of the iPhone is that it is a toy. And IMO compared to the BB it is.

Even if you do use yours for work most people don't and most people who have BB's use them for work so that is just the opinions that are out there.
LOL, keep thinking that.

Most everyone I know with a BB uses it more for personal chit-chat than anything else--and these are company-supplied BBs.

--
Mike

minivini

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007

--
Mike
What a tool. I would have replied something to the effect of "Your wife seemed to think it was meaningful", then told the guy to mind his own businesss.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
What a tool. I would have replied something to the effect of "Your wife seemed to think it was meaningful", then told the guy to mind his own businesss.
This is eerie, as that is similar to what I almost said. I was going to say, "no, just letting your wife know that now isn't a good time to meet." ;)

--
Mike