Personal Pickup Available for iPad Air

Discussion in 'iPad Air' started by chris, Oct 28, 2013.

1. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If you don't like lines, this seems like a good option. Order one early on Friday morning from the Apple Store and select 'Personal Pickup'. Scattered reports say you'll be able to buy on Friday and pickup later that day. No lines, launch day device. All seems pretty good.

2. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

I would love this! Looks like it may rain Friday morning in Connecticut. Think the Apple store would tell you if this option will be available?

3. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You bet. Sounds like supplies will be plentiful for Friday. To be on the safe side, order at 3 am and choose personal pickup.

I wonder if Walmart will sell them at midnight. If memory serves me, haven't they done that in the past with iPads?

4. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

I actually planned on ordering one at 3am anyway just in case I didn't get one after waiting in line. Now I'll chose personal pick up.
    Not sure about Walmart. That would be even better. I can walk to the one near my house. There is a path in the woods... I went there yesterday and the electronics lady gave me her direct # to call her to see what the inventory should look like. Gonna call tomorrow see if she knows.

5. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

I don't think Apple will run out of iPads like they did iPhones. Don't buy into the hype of "limited supply"

6. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

If they have so many why not do the pre order....

7. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

Preorder or not, I suspect everyone looking to buy one will get one.

8. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

I bought the 3 at midnight from Walmart the night prior to launch day.

Sent using iCafe app

#8 Tattooed Alex, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2013
  9. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

I bought the 3 at midnight from Walmart the night prior to launch day.

Sent using iCafe app[/quote]

Also how did you find out they were open at midnight to sell?

10. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Also how did you find out they were open at midnight to sell?[/quote]

The Walmart I went to was open 24 hours. A guy at the electronics counter told me they were going to sell them at midnight. I was one of only three people in line for the 3.

Sent using iCafe app

11. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I think this might be the move. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't sell them. November 1st is the on sale date and it's not like stock is coming at 8 am (or maybe it is).

Priced at $479, the iPad Air is a few dollars cheaper at Walmart.

12. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

I saw the walmart price- I wonder if its cheaper for the other sizes too- I want the 32 gig one-

13. richardya

richardya Member
    Silver

I wish i lived in a small town. Is there any chance the NYC t-mobile store won't have a line?
    I am thinking of using a website like taskrabbit to get someone to wait online for me.

14. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

With the iPad mini coming later this month, I have a hard time believing lines will be that long. Add to that, personal pickup means people can order and not wait. I'm sure carriers will have sufficient staff.

I could be wrong. I was in Annapolis for the iPad mini launch and was first in line, despite getting there around 5:30/6:00. It was a cake walk. The iPad Air breathes some new life into the full-sized iPad line, but I'm not sure it's enough to cure iPad mini lust. That launch will see lines.

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Looks like you'll be able to pick one up Friday morning at BestBuy:
    ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1383153162.269748.jpg

16. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

Chris I remember a little while back you talking about getting the 16gig iPads instead of the 32 plus. Have you done that and how has it worked out? I have the 16 gig mini and it seems fine but am thinking maybe I need the larger air...

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

I definitely recommend at least 32 for the retina iPads. Video sizes and app sizes take up a lot more room nowadays.

18. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It just depends on how you use it. I always go with 32 GB iPhones so I instinctively went with that same size on an iPad 3 when it came out. Then I found that I wasn't even using 1/3 of the space because I don't put any music on my iPads and I don't use it for video recording - I do all of that on my iPhone. I also don't need to sync twenty movies to my iPad; I just put three or four on there and remove them and sync new ones after I watch them. So I sold the iPad 3 and got a 16 GB iPad mini 1st gen. It worked out well and was a great way to save $100. I'm also going to go with a 16 GB iPad mini retina when it's available.

19. Phreddyl

Phreddyl Member
    Bronze

How much room do you have left on your mini? My husband now want one so getting two 16gig ones less painful then 32's.

Also anyone else want to weigh in?

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I sold it already, but I think I was using about 10 GB. I had several movies on it.