petition/mass email for better/quicker upgrades

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jdm726

Sep 10, 2007
DC
**** first this does not concern receiving heftier refunds (theres enough whining and self righteous jib jab in a dozen other posts)****

this is simply an idea strictly concerning upgrades to make our iPhone functionally comparative to other smartphones/cell phone features

-iChat
-multi-person texting
-cut and paste text
-applying ringtones/tones to email and text alerts
-download/save photos
-syncing of notes
etc

(all these things seem relatively do-able) <--- im not speaking of getting 5g network, iCan openers, and retractable iPhone knives, etc , lol

its seems the only thing that riled the feathers and garnered a response from Apple is "I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset - Steve Jobs"

so i was thinking maybe if we put together an organized platform to properly voice the concerns of iphone-users we can get a similar/expedient response of customer satisfaction. Maybe Apple will be more inclined to offer these changes if they see there is a real demand for these small functions

maybe im typing this while wearing my rose colored glasses and drinking my half full glass of water..... but then again

jjvaldez

Gold
Jul 3, 2007
Salinas, Ca
**** first this does not concern receiving heftier refunds (theres enough whining and self righteous jib jab in a dozen other posts)****

this is simply an idea strictly concerning upgrades to make our iPhone functionally comparative to other smartphones/cell phone features

-iChat
-multi-person texting
-cut and paste text
-download/save photos
-syncing of notes
etc

(all these things seem relatively do-able) <--- im not speaking of getting 5g network, iCan openers, and retractable iPhone knives, etc , lol

its seems the only thing that riled the feathers and garnered a response from Apple is "I have received hundreds of emails from iPhone customers who are upset - Steve Jobs"

so i was thinking maybe if we put together an organized platform to properly voice the concerns of iphone-users we can get a similar/expedient response of customer satisfaction. Maybe Apple will be more inclined to offer these changes if they see there is a real demand for these small functions

maybe im typing this while wearing my rose colored glasses and drinking my half full glass of water..... but then again
i agree
with this.. i know that this phone has the potential to be the best out there..well it is but it could improve

coinstar99

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
Agreed. Those simple items if you ask me would make me even happier than I was with my treo 750 . I didn't see it listed , but also mms. If I just missed it , my mistake . What do I have to do to get Jobs to hear me, and us, devoted iPhone users .

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Is nobody concern that you can’t turn off the autocorrect? I modded my iPhone and now have that option but it would be nice if Apple made it standard. I always try to abbreviate my text so that I won’t have to send a bunch. I also use a different langauge sometimes.

I would sign up for this but please add that in your request.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
Add;
MMS
Turn off auto spell
Add a send text list to Maps (text directions to another phone)
Change ring assignments for mail and text
Ability to turn data off at the phone
Multiple contact messaging (setup from phone)
Flash/java
voice dialing
ability to hide home screen to the icon level
wallpaper at home screen
search ability to phone (for contacts etc)
ability to use the phone as storage
ability to save attachments.

I think these are the other things that I send to the feedback thing over at Apple on a daily basis.

Overall I am satisfied with the phone, I just think it needs a little more help. =)

adseguy

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I am willing to wait after the first MAJOR software update (all we've had are patches) to do this. Remember were still onyl a little past two months in after release. Give it till the end of this month which it sounds like a big update will come. If only the supposed Wi-Fi music store is added then I'd be glad to help make an e-petition.....yes a real one.

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
Count me in too. I think basic features found on nearly all other "smart phones" are easily do-able. I've seen a copy/paste feature on another touch screen device where it's a double-tap, and you hold down and drag over what you are copying with the second tap. When you remove your finger, the copy/paste buttons appear. Tap copy, and then tap where you want to paste and hit paste. If there is ever a text editor more advanced than notes, then there should be a tab up in the right-hand corner with "Functions" that should contain this feature, but it should be available in just about everything.

mernst

Silver
Jul 11, 2007
Gulfport, Ms

-iChat
-multi-person texting
-cut and paste text
-download/save photos
-syncing of notes
etc

Count me in too

iang

Sep 10, 2007
washington DC
I can't recommend this device until.....

I am joining this petition. Gotta have the Flash/Java and the ability to customize your ringtone. Most of the songs I listen to I can't buy because they are either underground, a dj mix, or my own.

blacklabel775

Bronze
Jul 5, 2007
Disable autocorrect

Is nobody concern that you can’t turn off the autocorrect? I modded my iPhone and now have that option but it would be nice if Apple made it standard. I always try to abbreviate my text so that I won’t have to send a bunch. I also use a different langauge sometimes.

I would sign up for this but please add that in your request.
There is a utility in the installer app that allows you to disable to autocorrect feature. I have not used it because I like this feature but if it bugs you, you
might want to look into it. If you have not installed the installer app.... What are you waiting for, its the best thing I've done for myself.

venturo

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
I agree with waiting until after the first major update, then i petition away, im in, and it should be a combined effort with all - most other iPhone related forums.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
There is a utility in the installer app that allows you to disable to autocorrect feature. I have not used it because I like this feature but if it bugs you, you
might want to look into it. If you have not installed the installer app.... What are you waiting for, its the best thing I've done for myself.
Dude, read his post: ..." I modded my iPhone and now have that option but it would be nice if Apple made it standard..."
He's done that already.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
My number one requested feature is to "Select all and delete" in mail. I'd like to see them come up with a multi-touch gesture that allows me to select multiple emails and then provides me the option to delete them all. I get massive amounts of email and that's a sore spot for me.

-Chris

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Count me in.

A month ago I would have said, "too soon." But considering the 4 GB model is now obsolete and that Apple has apparently found the time to add the iTunes WiFi store to the iPhone I feel it's now overdue.

2+ months is a long time to endure the lack of copy and paste. :(

I had to respond to an email a few weeks ago, which required the deletion of a lot of quoted text: I could not do it on the iPhone, it took far too long.

--
Mike

prolix21

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
i'd be in for making some sort of mass feature request. if certain things like MMS, copy/paste, maybe ichat. Let Apple know that the majority of users would like these features.

I'm not sure I agree with the part about better/quicker upgrades. To be that comes off a bit crass, like we all deserve something. Also working in teh tech industry, thats kind of a smack in the face of the iPhone developers, who work extremely hard at what they do (and so far have done an awesome job).

When it comes down to it, the only thing Apple OWES us is bug fixes. There is nothing stating they owe us new features or upgrades. If we all ask politely maybe Apple will bite and help everyone out. I'm pretty sure there will be upgrades, but I've not seen anything that ever said there would be. The iPhone is what it is, and if people bought it expecting more 3 months down the road that's a bit naive. its like buying a car with a v6 and thinking after 3 months it will suddenly grow into a v8.

Appending some demand for timelines isn't going to help anyone, you'll just end up with quickly released and buggy software. If they will indulge us and give us new features, you want them to do it right and if ti takes a few more weeks or whatever to put out a quality upgrade, thats fine with me.

Apple did give in a bit on the whole price thing, but I would warn people against taking that win and trying to push Apple around more. They just gave everyone a carrot, no need to be greedy.

I think polite feature requests are fine, but putting timelines and other demands may not win the kind of attention you want

just my two cents

Prelector

Bronze
Sep 6, 2007
I agree, and am happy to sign the petition.

However, if you really believe Steve's comment about the emails/letters, and that's the main reason he reversed his previous position... then I have some VERY nice oceanfront property in Arizona for you.

Seriously, Steve/Apple could care less about the early adopters. The reason he/they offered the $100 is because of the STOCK prices, and indirectly, the PRESS (which caused the stock price flucuation).

If you really want to see some changes made, then write that petition/letter to the Media, and copy Steve/Apple.