Phone acting weird after water damage

Discussion in 'iPhone 5C' started by Bennyboy, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

My wife dropped her iPhone 5C in the toilet for a max of 2 seconds (no case) I dried it as best as I could and put inside a bag of rice for more than 36 hours. Home button and sleep button works, camera works, speakers work great, also charging fine and it doesn't overheat (yet) only problem is the screen is very unresponsive. Lags a bit while moving between pages and sometimes when I push on an app it won't open or start to shake. Slide to unlock also unresponsive and sometimes reboots. Can it be savaged or should I just dump it?

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's best to put it in rice for three days total. I'd give it a little more time in rice. Does she have a backup phone that she can use in the meantime?

3. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Yeah she's using her moms 5, she had an extra one. Just put it back in rice. I don't mind getting her a new phone, I'd still like to use this maybe as a backup or baby monitor or whatever. I was just wondering it could be only a screen issue which I could just replace, but if it's rebooting on its own it makes me believe it's more than that.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That's good. Post back in a couple days and let me know if it worked. If it doesn't, it might not be worth having Apple fix at full charge if you don't have AppleCare+, but you might want to attempt fixing it yourself.

5. rom x

rom x Zealot
    Gold

Normally when a phone gets wet and starts acting funny. It never makes it past 30 days. Eventully it will die. But i wish you luck, cause i know it sucks when this happends.

6. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

She has insurance with sprint, so it should only be 200 to replace it, but she wants the 6 now, after playing with mine. We'll see, I wouldn't mind spending 100 bucks on it if I can save it. I'll give it couple more days on rice.

7. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Didn't help that is was on when it happened, and to turn it off you have no choice but to wake the screen up. Oh well. Thanks man.

8. Troy Watkins

Troy Watkins New Member

It sounds like there's something wrong with just the digitizer. That's why your touches aren't being recognized. Just get another screen should be fine.

9. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Thats what i was thinking. I'll turn it back on tonight and play with it for few days before I decide if it's worth spending the money for a new screen. Thanks for the advice.

10. Troy Watkins

Troy Watkins New Member

11. Daniel brackin

Daniel brackin New Member

I agree. New screen would be the best road to take. If phone still doesn't work, sell it on eBay (for parts).

12. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Turned it back on about an hour ago and it's working great so far, I'll insert a SIM card and use it for few days. If this phone makes it I'll be very surprised. It turned on by itself while in the bag of rice the first day and started vibrating, I knew at that point that it was fried. So far so good.

13. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Not the rice the phone lol

14. Troy Watkins

Troy Watkins New Member

Hope all goes well

15. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Here you go. I also checked camera, flashlight, gave it a hard reboot and the lines on the screen are gone.,

16. Bennyboy

Bennyboy Genius
    Platinum

Sorry for the poor taste in music, it's my wife's :p