Phone app deleted, how do I get it back?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Janeybobs, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Janeybobs

Janeybobs New Member

My son has mysteriously deleted my phone app. I can access it through search but how to I get my app button back?

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Have you checked all of your folders? The app may have moved into a folder. Is the phone jailbroken?

3. Janeybobs

Janeybobs New Member

Thanks for replying. Will check folders. What does jailbroken mean. I'm clueless when it comes to these things!

4. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

Jailbreaking is to change the phone to allow you to run non-approved apps/modifications. Things that you wouldn't normally be able to do with the phone with what you can get from the Apple app store. If you bought the phone used, it may have come this way, or if you have had it unlocked to use on a different carrier, jailbreaking is a necessary part of doing that.

You can check to see if your phone is jailbroken by looking for this icon somewhere on your home screens:

[​IMG]
    Cydia

It's more likely that your phone icon is hidden in a folder somewhere, but if you are jailbroken, there is something that you can use that allows you to hide icons for apps that came pre-installed on the phone. This is the only way I can think of that you would have lost the phone icon entirely, but stranger things have occurred to phones that haven't been modified in any way, so this isn't necessarily it.

If you don't find your phone icon in any of your folders, try resetting the home screen layout.

Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Home Screen Layout

This will reset all of the icons back to their original positions (your folders will be flattened - all apps from the app store will be laid out alphabetically on the 2nd page thereon).

5. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

I don't think you can delete the "phone' icon ..... i agree with iPhonewarrior and fury in that looking through other folders.... probably just hidden somewhere! :)

6. applejailescape

Gold

How about a restore ?

7. Janeybobs

Janeybobs New Member

Thanks for all ye're help. Found it in another folder. I have 1 other problem. My on off button is broken. I've tried pressing the phone near the speaker but that didn't work. Any other suggestions? Please!

8. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Your home button? The round one bottoms of the phone?
    How long have you had the phone? Make a genius appointment with Apple and take it in. They will most likely swap it for you.

9. Janeybobs

Janeybobs New Member

No, it's the power button at the top of the phone. No Apple stores in Ireland so I doubt I'll find a genius anywhere near!

10. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

My temporary suggestion would be to put your phone on a short lock cycle. Like a minute. Unless you new to turn your phone off for some reason you can survive without having to use that button.

11. Janeybobs

Janeybobs New Member

Thanks a mill Rugaby. Will try that. I miss being able to take a pic of my screen tho. U kno where u press the power button and the home button together. Ah well, I'll just have to do without!

12. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Like I said temporary suggestion. Hopefully you can find a way to get it fixed or replaced.

13. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

can you call Apple support and see if they can help you? Maybe send a replacement if under warranty?

14. Bulletproof7

Bulletproof7 New Member

I don't think your son did it (although it's possible he did). The same thing happened to me a few months ago; the phone app mysteriously disappeared and I could only access it through the iPhone search feature. I asked the question in Google (forgot how I worded it) but got the exact solution. I'm not sure now - I think it had to do with resetting something - but it fixed it (my phone app reappeared!). I think it had to do with this other app I downloaded (forget now but it somehow connected to jail broken phones or something I think - btw, my iPhone like yours is NOT jailbroken). Anyway I will try to get that answer for you and will post it to this thread if I do. Meanwhile do a Google search on something like> "how do I make icons reappear on my iPhone?" or "my icons disappeared on my iPhone" (something like this). Good luck!

15. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

@BulletProof, see post #7... The OPs phone icon was found in another folder.

16. Bulletproof7

Bulletproof7 New Member

@RoofMonkey - oh I should have read more closely - that's great it was located in another folder (instead of needing to go through what I went through to get it back!) - thanks ;)

17. Bulletproof7

Bulletproof7 New Member

@Janeybobs >Did you get your on/off button to work? If there are no Apple Stores in Ireland, there must be an Apple help number you can call (or email) ...and send it in for repair at least! I would miss the screenshot feature as well (where you hold the power button and home button to take a pic of whatever is on the screen)

18. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Have you guys actually looked at the locations for Apple Stores? It is far more likely that there is NOT a store in driving range of most people. I don't know why "take it to a genius" is always one of the first responses. I mean most states have 6 or less Apple Stores in them.

19. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Taking screenshots; if you jailbreak you can set up Activator shortcuts to take screenshots with ease. For example Up, Down tap on your volume buttons/rocker.

20. iNurse

iNurse Contributor
    Silver

Guess I haven't done that because I am spoiled to having one close. Thanks for pointing that out.