phone bill with unlocked iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Aposey

Nov 12, 2007
Ok i am looking to buy an unlocked iPhone. I am currently with AT&T but still have a cingular sim card(not sure if that matters). I am aware that when you purchase a iPhone through AT&T you must get the data plan which is like $50 more. I have unlimited texting on my plan currently. My question is can i use an unlocked iPhone with no internet or data plan and still keep my current bill the same? I know it may sound stupid not to want the internet on the iPhone but it is useless to me, i would never use it. I just like the phone itself. Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Oct 4, 2007
San Francisco
your bill would stay the same but if you accidentally hit the weather, maps, mail, or stock icons on the iPhone you might get charged for the data you use unless you have wifi on.

Disable edge if you don't want unexpected charges

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
YouTube, Stocks, Maps, Weather, Clock, iTunes, Mail, Safari

Hardly worth it if you ask me.

And BTW, the Data plan is $20, not $50.

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Those files sync through iTunes and have nothing directly to do with the data plan.

I have service through AT&T so I can't help you regarding how to use iTunes with an unlocked phone. You can search in some of the other forums to find the help you will need with that.

Also, just FYI, without service with AT&T, you will have no warranty.

Good luck.

Aposey

Nov 12, 2007
i do have AT&T. i just figured i would have to get an unlocked phone to escape the higher bill. can i just go out and buy a brand new iPhone off of ebay or from a site without having to renew my contract and still use the iPhone minus some of its features? i also thought that u had to have the data plan or internet to actually activate the iPhone. is this true?

petalmom

Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Your AT&T contract is on your current phone not the iPhone. The warranty won't matter anyway because as soon as you unlock it the warranty becomes void.

All I really know about operating with an unlocked phone is what I've read in the forums (which is what I suggest that you do). I have no personal experience with them.

It's ONLY $20! Why even risk it?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Yeah man, over half the fun of the iPhone is the stuff that uses the data plan, that's why they require it. Sure, it sucks, but if you really want to do the things an iPhone does, you really just need it, plain and simple. I don't think your plan is going to work.

If you want an expensive, thin phone with limited functionality, there are other offerings from AT&T

Aposey

Nov 12, 2007
i don't pay my phone bill. so it going up $20 is not an option. AT&T does not offer another phone like the iPhone. the features don't necessarily attract me, i just love the phone and the concept of it.