Phone call to audio out?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

stevenshizzle

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
I am aware that you can have a conversation on the phone with the headphones included with the iPhone.

One day, I was driving in my 2006 Honda Civic with an AUX INPUT. This is how I listen to my iPhone, just plug it in and go. I had received a call and to my amazement - the voice music faded, phone rang, I slided the green bar, and heard my wife speaking over the speakers of the car. I spoke back, she heard. By the way, this happened with firmware version 1.0.0.

For some reason, I cannot replicate this situation anymore. Anyone have any input as to how to continue to send audio to the head unit and use the phone as the mic?

Thanks in advance,
Steven

tdefriez

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Strange

Normally when you plug anything in the headphones socket it kills both the internal speakers and the internal mic - what type of connector where you using? Ones designed for the iPhone have both audio output and audio input connections (although if no mic downline then no mic input can occur), these kill the internal mic. Ones designed for other uses only have audio output connection and may not kill the internal mic - look at the plug which came on you iPhones earphones and then look at a normal earphone plug they are different

mediarite

Bronze
Jun 20, 2007
ColoRADo
This is exactly how I use my iPhone in my car. It works great. I had problems with the holder I initially purchased because it covered the mic. I switched holders and it works great. I hear the caller in my speakers, they hear me fine. End the call and your music fades back in. The only annoyance is the little sound you get when an email or SMS comes in.

As long as the plug you're putting in the headphone jack doesn't have the extra bar that'd kill the external mic it should work.