Phone Calling By Itself

zandrik

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Ok, so yesterday I kept getting calls from several different people who I don't know. They were saying, "you just called me with a political recording, please take me off your list."

First of all, I'm not calling anyone with a recording. I had one person call with the same info and said you just called me 5 minutes ago, well at the time my phone was on my kitchen counter all by itself.

So I called AT&T and they said, after a million hours on hold, that it is physically impossible for anyone to, "hack" my phone and use my number to make calls. He said that someone would have had to taken out the sim card, copied the data from it, and then would be able to make calls. Now, I've never let my phone out of site. Although, I'm not saying it's impossible that someone borrowed my sim card for 30 seconds, I just feel that it's VERY unlikely.

So to the genius iPhone users, or anyone for the matter, on EIC, is it possible to use my number to make calls without having copied data from my sim card itself?

Really weird stuff. Thanks for all your help!

eplantz

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
it is completely possible for someone to make calls and spoof your number. There is even a web site you can use, for a small fee, to make calls and have the apparent number it is from look like yours.

they are NOT using your phone, just faking your number.

in fact, if you have someone mad at you, they could do this to get even.

barbie

Bronze
Jul 8, 2008
the driver's seat
a LONG time ago my parents had a bunch of charges on their bill that weren't theirs. They were in houston on businesss then came back to dallas/ft worth. Att said someone next to them "cloned" the phone. This was before sim cards. They finally got ATT to believe them when they pointed out that they couldn't make a call in houston then a call 6 minutes later in DFW

s8n666

Bronze
Oct 3, 2008
if you do SIP calling (program like gizmo5) you can set your caller ID to be any number you want. Someone has probably used yours.