Phone calls goes to voicemail when connecting to edge?

Fayewolf

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
I've missed several phone calls (that went directly to voicemail) while I'm checking email or using edge. I thought it would hault edge and let you answer the call?

This morning, i was checking email, (says connecting), and then after I was done, i have a voicemail that my phone never rung..

Is this true? Thanks!

Dragoro

Bronze
Sep 9, 2007
Yep, its true.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
naaaaaaw, come on! It's supposed to have voice priority over data connex, right? I'm almost positive mine has been working this way...

420greg

Silver
Jun 26, 2007
Orlando, Florida
If you are on the edge network moving data your calls with go to voicemail.

This has something to do with edge not the iPhone. My blackberry did the same thing. I found out that surfing while waiting for someone to call was a bad idea.

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
From the info I've read about this - AT&T (and presumably, most other GSM carriers) supports this function, but the hardware has to be configured to support it as well. It seems the GSM protocol that Apple chose to use, does not support getting voice calls while data is being pulled down.

It sucks. :(

tmoce

Bronze
Oct 10, 2007
If you are on the edge network moving data your calls with go to voicemail.

This has something to do with edge not the iPhone. My blackberry did the same thing. I found out that surfing while waiting for someone to call was a bad idea.

Let me get this right. When Edge is receiving signals (e.g. loading a webpage) the calls go to voicemail? All the time I have been browsing on edge I get interrupted when receiving calls, although I do not recall Edge being actively loading at the time of receiving calls. Just want to be sure

jwhcowan

Jul 5, 2007
Yes, when edge is loading a page, calls go to VM.

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
I did a little more digging - and it looks like maybe this is a setting based on the cell tower you are connected to.

It seems that there are two standards, NOM 1 and NOM 2.

NOM 1 does allow voice calls to suspend data - i.e. - you gets your calls even in the middle of EDGE transferring data.

NOM 2 does not allow for this - EDGE data has priority and voice calls go to voicemail.

If you have a jailbroken iPhone and know how to launch the FieldTest App, do it and see what NOM you are connected to. Mine shows nom 2 - and i do not get voice calls when im actively pulling data.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yep. It happens.

cdinca

Bronze
Jul 4, 2007
I did a little more digging - and it looks like maybe this is a setting based on the cell tower you are connected to.

NOM 1 does allow voice calls to suspend data - i.e. - you gets your calls even in the middle of EDGE transferring data.

NOM 2 does not allow for this - EDGE data has priority and voice calls go to voicemail.

If you have a jailbroken iPhone and know how to launch the FieldTest App, do it and see what NOM you are connected to. Mine shows nom 2 - and i do not get voice calls when im actively pulling data.

Nailed it!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona

If you have a jailbroken iPhone and know how to launch the FieldTest App, do it and see what NOM you are connected to.
As an FYI you do not need to be jailbroken to use FieldTest. Dialing [SIZE=-1]*3001#12345#* from the dial pad will bring it up on any iPhone.

--
Mike
[/SIZE]

ebp2kEM1

Bronze
Oct 14, 2007
As an FYI you do not need to be jailbroken to use FieldTest. Dialing [SIZE=-1]*3001#12345#* from the dial pad will bring it up on any iPhone.

--
Mike
[/SIZE]
Thanks! I didn't know about that trick. :cool: