Phone doesn't function while on a call

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by budala15, Jan 28, 2014.

1. budala15

budala15 Member
    Bronze

iPhone 5S-32gb

This happens sporadically. I was on a call and I wanted to pull up my notepad. I pressed the home button, but nothing happened. At the end of the call I clicked end call, nothing happened. Is this a hardware issue?

2. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Have you tried a hard reset? Press top button and home button until the Apple logo appears, then release.

3. budala15

budala15 Member
    Bronze

Yes, several times.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings

Restore if that doesn't work.

5. budala15

budala15 Member
    Bronze

At&t told me it's a hardware side that can't be fixed. It must be returned to Apple and exchanged out for a new one.

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Carrier reps aren't the most reliable source or information for tech support, and they tend to give misinformation if they aren't sure. For example, I've seen them tell customers that the iPhone has a titanium back, the 4S and the 5 both have 1 GB of RAM and Video on the 4S in rendered in DVD quality and on the 5 in Blu-Ray quality. They frequently don't know much about this type of stuff, so it's best to ask Apple or people on support forums like this one.

It sounds like a software problem to me. There are troubleshooting steps to try before determining that it is hardware and taking it to Apple. These steps should be taken in every instance to avoid unnecessary replacements. The final troubleshooting step is a factory restore. Have you tried a restore to factory settings yet?

7. budala15

budala15 Member
    Bronze

I just did it. Let me keep my eyes on it for now. Thx

8. budala15

budala15 Member
    Bronze

My Touch id option is grayed out now?

9. budala15

budala15 Member
    Bronze

I got it fixed.

10. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

What fixed it?

11. Merthod

Merthod New Member

Yes I agree with Europa. When there's a hardware malfunction a problem usually persistent and it is possible that customer support may misdirect you if they diagnose the problem wrong. Software issues tend to happen "in certain events" as you state. Have you installed an app that mess somehow the calling procedure trying to enhance it or adding more features such as call recording? You may disable these apps too. And if the problem is persistent get your phone changed by a new one before your guarantee expires.