Phone just quit working

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
My iPhone just quit working this morning.

my Carrier is AT&T and I am jailbroken.
I tried a hard reset, just booting the phone. Resetting network.
Nothing has worked. Anything else I can try guys before I restore?

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
It just sticks on searching for signal. Internet will work if I turn on wifi. But nothing has helped. I went by AT&T and had them try a new simcard. That was a no go too.

So I guess I will have to restore and check it. If that does not work. I'll be heading to my nearest Apple store this afternoon.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I know.. It stinks. I had everything on my phone just like I wanted it too.

I wonder if the Restore does not work, and I have to get a new phone. I'm wondering if I can get the old OS. :)

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I know.. It stinks. I had everything on my phone just like I wanted it too.

I wonder if the Restore does not work, and I have to get a new phone. I'm wondering if I can get the old OS. :)
You might get lucky and get one on 6.1.2 or lower. The odds are still pretty good right now, but they get lower with each passing day. The 64 GB are the most likely to be on 6.1.2 or lower and the 16 GB are the least likely. Good luck!

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
Thanks Europa.... Heading to the Apple Store now. The way today has went, luck might not be on my side. hehe

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
You might get lucky and get one on 6.1.2 or lower. The odds are still pretty good right now, but they get lower with each passing day. The 64 GB are the most likely to be on 6.1.2 or lower and the 16 GB are the least likely. Good luck!
Thanks Europa.... Heading to the Apple Store now. The way today has went, luck might not be on my side. hehe
But, if it's jailbroken and not restored to factory settings, Apple will void your warranty and you will have to pay full price.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
But, if it's jailbroken and not restored to factory settings, Apple will void your warranty and you will have to pay full price.
I'm assuming he restored it first. That's the last step in troubleshooting this. It's hasty to take it to Apple without doing that first, whether you jailbreak or not. If he takes it in to Apple without restoring it, they will either restore it for him or ask him to restore it and bring it back. It will not void his warranty and he will not have to pay full price. Genius' really don't give a crap if we jailbreak or not, but it does have to be restored before they'll look at it.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Just to clarify, EverythingApple, I mean that the warranty-voiding claim that people always talk about is BS. I've never once seen anyone affected by that. Just restore and you'll get a replacement. Can't restore because of errors? No worries, you'll still get a replacement. Showing up with it obviously jailbroken is pointless because all attempts to fix the problem were not made if it's not restored.

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
I'm assuming he restored it first. That's the last step in troubleshooting this. It's hasty to take it to Apple without doing that first, whether you jailbreak or not. If he takes it in to Apple without restoring it, they will either restore it for him or ask him to restore it and bring it back. It will not void his warranty and he will not have to pay full price. Genius' really don't give a crap if we jailbreak or not, but it does have to be restored before they'll look at it.
Just to clarify, EverythingApple, I mean that the warranty-voiding claim that people always talk about is BS. I've never once seen anyone affected by that. Just restore and you'll get a replacement. Can't restore because of errors? No worries, you'll still get a replacement. Showing up with it obviously jailbroken is pointless because all attempts to fix the problem were not made if it's not restored.
Thanks for the clarification. I actually feel better that if I brick my iPhone, I will still get a replacement.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Thanks for the clarification. I actually feel better that if I brick my iPhone, I will still get a replacement.
Yep, nothing to worry about there. I've only seen two unrestorable, jailbroken phones since I've been on this forum and Apple replaced both of them for free. One was even out of warranty. Usually it's just a matter of persistence to get them restored. I once spent 6.5 hours restoring a colleague's 3GS. It had the iPad baseband on it and that's the single most likely thing to make restores an absolute PITA.

coop1701

Zealot
Silver
Jun 30, 2007
I restored it.. Made me cry. But sadly that fixed it. Full signal again once the restore completed.
I will miss my Jailbreak a lot.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I restored it.. Made me cry. But sadly that fixed it. Full signal again once the restore completed.
I will miss my Jailbreak a lot.
Do you have AppleCare+? If so, you could take it swimming and then pay $49 for the chance of a jailbreak. I'd do it. It's like standing at the roulette table, watching the ball spin, and hoping for it to land in 6.1.2!