Phone just quit working

Discussion in 'iPhone Jailbreak' started by coop1701, Apr 25, 2013.

1. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

My iPhone just quit working this morning.

my Carrier is AT&T and I am jailbroken.
    I tried a hard reset, just booting the phone. Resetting network.
    Nothing has worked. Anything else I can try guys before I restore?

2. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I'd die if my jailbroken iPhone 5 quit working and I had to restore. What's not working, since you said you reset network?

P.S. I love your signature.

3. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

It just sticks on searching for signal. Internet will work if I turn on wifi. But nothing has helped. I went by AT&T and had them try a new simcard. That was a no go too.

So I guess I will have to restore and check it. If that does not work. I'll be heading to my nearest Apple store this afternoon.

4. EverythingApple

Gold

I think you will have to restore, but you will lose the jailbreak as there is no way to use 6.1.2 again. :(

5. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I know.. It stinks. I had everything on my phone just like I wanted it too.

I wonder if the Restore does not work, and I have to get a new phone. I'm wondering if I can get the old OS. :)

6. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You might get lucky and get one on 6.1.2 or lower. The odds are still pretty good right now, but they get lower with each passing day. The 64 GB are the most likely to be on 6.1.2 or lower and the 16 GB are the least likely. Good luck!

7. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

Thanks Europa.... Heading to the Apple Store now. The way today has went, luck might not be on my side. hehe

8. EverythingApple

Gold

But, if it's jailbroken and not restored to factory settings, Apple will void your warranty and you will have to pay full price.

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I'm assuming he restored it first. That's the last step in troubleshooting this. It's hasty to take it to Apple without doing that first, whether you jailbreak or not. If he takes it in to Apple without restoring it, they will either restore it for him or ask him to restore it and bring it back. It will not void his warranty and he will not have to pay full price. Genius' really don't give a crap if we jailbreak or not, but it does have to be restored before they'll look at it.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Just to clarify, EverythingApple, I mean that the warranty-voiding claim that people always talk about is BS. I've never once seen anyone affected by that. Just restore and you'll get a replacement. Can't restore because of errors? No worries, you'll still get a replacement. Showing up with it obviously jailbroken is pointless because all attempts to fix the problem were not made if it's not restored.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. EverythingApple

Gold

Thanks for the clarification. I actually feel better that if I brick my iPhone, I will still get a replacement.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Yep, nothing to worry about there. I've only seen two unrestorable, jailbroken phones since I've been on this forum and Apple replaced both of them for free. One was even out of warranty. Usually it's just a matter of persistence to get them restored. I once spent 6.5 hours restoring a colleague's 3GS. It had the iPad baseband on it and that's the single most likely thing to make restores an absolute PITA.

13. coop1701

coop1701 Zealot
    Silver

I restored it.. Made me cry. But sadly that fixed it. Full signal again once the restore completed.
    I will miss my Jailbreak a lot.

14. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Do you have AppleCare+? If so, you could take it swimming and then pay $49 for the chance of a jailbreak. I'd do it. It's like standing at the roulette table, watching the ball spin, and hoping for it to land in 6.1.2!