Phone not ringing & VM taking 10+ min. to arrive

May 30, 2008
Hi all! I have had my iPhone for about 2 months. (LOVE IT!)

Yesterday I was waiting for an important call so I carried the phone with me all day, but I wan't using it for anything. TWICE I got the notification saying that I had voicemail, but the phone didn't ring first. Also, the notifications came 10-15 minutes after the person left the voicemail.

I tried called the iPhone a few times from my landline and again a few times today from my work phone. Sometimes it goes directly to voicemail, and sometimes I get the ring that the caller hears before the phone is picked up, yet the iPhone does't ring. I left several "test" voicemails, and they are averaging about 10 minutes to arrive. One took several hours.

Any ideas? (I don't use call forwarding, the ringer is set and not on vibrate....and my bill is paid up! :p)

Thanks for any thoughts that you might have!

Leah Jane

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Do you turn the phone completely off and back on occasionally? The phone is like a mini computer and needs to be turned off at least once a week. Having done this, try a hard reset of the phone.
I will assume you have good signal strength. If nothing works, I would think about doing a restore through iTunes. If it still persist, I would first contact ATT. Almost sounds like a problem on their end. If that checks out it is time to take a trip to the Apple Store.

May 30, 2008
This is some info on resetting the phone, is that what you are talking about?

"press and hold down the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button simultaneously at the same time for at least ten seconds, then the LCD display will clear and the Apple logo appears on the black background. When Apple logo appears, reset is done."

Thanks again!

Leah

May 30, 2008
Well, that didn't work anyhow. Neither did turning it off and back on (which I will do from now on, thanks for the tip). Also, signal strength is great -- I am in the Minneapolis/St. Paul burbs. Guess I'll head to the Apple store on my lunch break!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, that didn't work anyhow. Neither did turning it off and back on (which I will do from now on, thanks for the tip). Also, signal strength is great -- I am in the Minneapolis/St. Paul burbs.
Well if you have good signal strength and the problem persist, I would go to Apple store and have them look at it. At first I was thinking an ATT problem, but it might be a problem with the phone.
You said you have had the phone for about 2 months. Has this just started? If so it might very well be a phone problem.

May 30, 2008
Yep, it just started yesterday. I am going to head over to the Apple store in a little while.

THANKS for replying, I really appreciate it!

Leah

May 30, 2008
Well, I went to the Apple Store, and they said it sounds like a problem with AT&T and to check with them first. That's my next step!
Leah

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Well, I went to the Apple Store, and they said it sounds like a problem with AT&T and to check with them first. That's my next step!
Leah
That was my first guess, but when you said you had good signal strength I started thinking it might be an issue with the phone. If ATT says everything is OK on their end, go back to Apple and don't let them jack you around. It almost has to be the phone.
Now, having said this I am assuming your phone is stock and not jailbroke.

Draven

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Did the problem maybe start after a small drop or hard jolting? I would recommend maybe taking the sim card out and reinserting it. Kind of sounds like the sim card might not be seated quite properly.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Did the problem maybe start after a small drop or hard jolting? I would recommend maybe taking the sim card out and reinserting it. Kind of sounds like the sim card might not be seated quite properly.
That's a good point. If it was dropped you may be right.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
Hi all! I have had my iPhone for about 2 months. (LOVE IT!)

Yesterday I was waiting for an important call so I carried the phone with me all day, but I wan't using it for anything. TWICE I got the notification saying that I had voicemail, but the phone didn't ring first. Also, the notifications came 10-15 minutes after the person left the voicemail.

I tried called the iPhone a few times from my landline and again a few times today from my work phone. Sometimes it goes directly to voicemail, and sometimes I get the ring that the caller hears before the phone is picked up, yet the iPhone does't ring. I left several "test" voicemails, and they are averaging about 10 minutes to arrive. One took several hours.

Any ideas? (I don't use call forwarding, the ringer is set and not on vibrate....and my bill is paid up! :p)

Thanks for any thoughts that you might have!

Leah Jane
Had that happen to me today, and it took over an hour to get my VM!