Phone reception question

Redfox68

Aug 16, 2008
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Hi Folks,

I may be missing this in all the 3G discussions, but I want to check on something. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and have good 3G coverage (according to the map and bars on my phone). When I have the phone in 3G, call quality is very good and, at least since the 2.0.2 update, I'm no longer experiencing the "call can't be completed" problems. I still have some dropped calls, but I used to have some of those on my WM6 device on Sprint.

Anyway, the problem I have is that if I'm in 3G people are constantly complaining to me about a loud noise that comes from my phone. It is intermittent, but they say it is quite annoying on their side. I don't hear anything on my side. I'm wondering if that can be the device switching between 3G and Edge, but don't know for sure. If I turn off 3G that problem goes away, but sometimes I'm on a call and the callers sound terrible to me (breaking up, static). I travel often on businesss and have found these same two issues while on the road, so I don't think it's just my home coverage at fault.

I've read a lot about the 3G issue, but nothing about whether others get this "noise" when in 3G. If others don't have this problem it probably means I have a defect in my hardware. Then I would assume I should return the phone for a replacement (?).

Last question, Can I return the phone to ATT if it is still within my 30 day trial, or do I need to go to an Apple store?

Thanks,
Red

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Hi Folks,

I've read a lot about the 3G issue, but nothing about whether others get this "noise" when in 3G. If others don't have this problem it probably means I have a defect in my hardware. Then I would assume I should return the phone for a replacement (?).

Last question, Can I return the phone to ATT if it is still within my 30 day trial, or do I need to go to an Apple store?

Thanks,
Red
I have not hear of anything like this on the forum. Sounds like a problem with the phone.
You will have to go to Apple for the replacement though.