Phone says "no SIM card"

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Nur2652

Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
The past week or so it's happened about 3 or 4 times, phone doesn't work and say No SIM. I power phone off the back on at it's back to normal. Is this a sigh of trouble ahead? Thanks.

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Which device? There is a user here that was having the same issue. Happened on 3 or 4 of her phones that were replacements I think. Apparently was an issue with the serial number being entered incorrectly by her carrier, I think.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
The past week or so it's happened about 3 or 4 times, phone doesn't work and say No SIM. I power phone off the back on at it's back to normal. Is this a sigh of trouble ahead? Thanks.
Remove the SIM and SIM tray, and blow into the SIM port. Clear all debris from the SIM port, this may help? Compressed air usually does the trick for me.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
My iPhone 4 did that twice in the first week that I owned it (it was brand new so I don't think it was dust). It did it once again about twelve months later. I never figured out what caused it. I just reseated my SIM each time it did it and it then it was fine.

Nur2652

Bronze
Aug 1, 2010
It's on my iPhone 4, just downloaded iOS 5 last week. But the no sim had happened even before I had ios 5.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
It's on my iPhone 4, just downloaded iOS 5 last week. But the no sim had happened even before I had ios 5.
Mmm, strange. If you've cleaned the SIM and the SIM port you could always try a restore. When/if you restore set the phone up as new.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I'd try a new SIM card before resorting to restoring. AT&T will send you a free one with two day shipping (if that's your carrier).

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Makes no difference if you restore now or after a new SIM, if the OP were to do it now at least they wouldn't be waiting a couple of days for a new SIM when it could be fixed by a simple restore. It probably isn't software related but it's just another option.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
He may not need to restore, though. It's only happening a few times a week and he can have a new SIM in two days. It's worth a shot, IMO. I just like to start with the simplest troubleshooting steps first and leave restoring to factory settings for a last resort.

Misie

Bronze
Jun 14, 2010
Louisiana
This happened to my hubby on the iPhone 4 first one we got on release day. We tried changing sim card, but had to bring it in to an Apple store. It ended up being a hardware problem. They were good a changing it out. Actually had to change his phone out a total of 4 times in 2 mths. and the 5th time was finally a winner. All were hardware problems.