Phone slow to place a call or open an app

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Flyingstar, Aug 7, 2015.

Europa
Best Answer Europa, Aug 7, 2015
There is going to be some lag with the older devices running the newest software due to hardware limitations, but that sounds excessive. Try a hard... Go to Full Post
  1. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Since the last update my 4S seems slow to place a call to a contact. it takes almost 2.5 seconds before I get the call screen?? Also, apps seem slow to open?

#1 Flyingstar, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2015
  2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There is going to be some lag with the older devices running the newest software due to hardware limitations, but that sounds excessive. Try a hard reset first. If that doesn't help, restore the firmware in iTunes.

Best Answer
  3. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Thanks!

4. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

I did a restore but that just restored factory settings and software. I don't know how to re install firm ware?

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Restoring in iTunes restores the firmware. Did it help?

6. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

Europa. No it did not.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It sounds like it's just lag then. Apple chooses to continue supporting the old devices for a long time and this is the downside to that. The hardware isn't optimized for it. Any plans to upgrade soon?

8. Flyingstar

Flyingstar Member
    Bronze

well my hesitation is that my Bose sound dock has the old style connector. If I upgrade to the 5 or six it will no longer work. yes I know you can get an adapter but it making dificult

9. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The adapters work great. I got a couple different types when they switched to Lightning a few years ago. I'd much rather deal with them than stick with old technology that's slow and doesn't have the latest features.

10. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I'm currently using an iPad 2 for this reply which is, like the 4S, the oldest device "capable" of running iOS 8. It's doing the same types of irritating things the OP finds frustrating about his 4S. That's a key part of my determination to get the equivalent of 6Plus when the next generation or the "S" is released. Being a senior citizen, I really like having a larger screen now more than making pocketability the major consideration.
    YMMV