Phone sometimes does not ring

Discussion in 'iPhone 5S' started by Suzanne, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Suzanne

Suzanne New Member

Sometimes when I get a phone call the phone doesn't ring. I have been told that it goes straight to Voice mail. But other times it does ring. This is very frustrating. Any ideas on how I can fix this. Thanks

2. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

What kind of signal do you normally have? Are you at only one or two bars/dots? If you have an extremely weak signal, it may cause your calls to go straight to voicemail.

If indeed you're always stuck with a poor signal, this not-at-all-cheap solution should help you. I repeat, it comes with a hefty pricetag. Do not invest in this until you're sure that a constantly weak signal is the cause of your missed calls.

http://www.amazon.com/700MHz-Booster-Repeater-Amplifier-Antennas/dp/B00E585SEG

A free solution would be to see if moving your phone to a different room in your house gives you a better signal (which you will know if you see more bars/dots). Of course, this is only a partial solution, and you'd be stuck keeping you phone in this room if you want all calls to go through.

3. Suzanne

Suzanne New Member

I have 4 bars out of five lit up and I just missed 3 calls today that went right to VM so they told me. I have also received 1 call where it went through and didn't go to VM. It is so frustrating because sometimes I am waiting for an important phone call and I have to keep checking my phone to make sure I don't have a missed call.

4. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

This happened to me as well a few times within 10 minutes when I was in my dorm building that does not have a very good connection. They said it went straight to voicemail. I'm not sure what to suggest, but that was the only time it happened to me ever with the iPhone. I have the iPhone 5 right now.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's occasionally happened to me on every iPhone I've ever had. It occurred when my good signal strength was good. None of the troubleshooting I did ever worked. I tried switching SIMs and restoring years ago, but then I just accepted that it's the network and there's nothing I can do. Luckily, it's pretty rare.

If it's happening frequently, try resetting your network settings.

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Do you have access to a second line you can call your iPhone on to see if it really is missing as many calls as your friends are claiming? If the phone misses your own calls, you could write these down on a sheet of paper, in addition to writing down all the missed calls, and the times they occurred, from the people who have called you, and head to your nearest Apple Store with the log in hand, and perhaps they might give you a replacement unit. (Your chances of getting a replacement phone will be even better if they try it right there in the store and your phone misses the calls, right in front of their eyes.)

7. Suzanne

Suzanne New Member

Thanks, it seems to be working now.