Phone # switch...

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

T-HAN

Bronze
May 11, 2007
Just thought of something... how are they going to switch the phone numbers (100+in my current phone) from my sprint phone to my iPhone?!?!?!:mad:

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Just thought of something... how are they going to switch the phone numbers (100+in my current phone) from my sprint phone to my iPhone?!?!?!:mad:
If you can sync your current phone to your Mac and Address Book then you should be able to easily sync that info to the iPhone like you would with the iPod. :)

beley

Bronze
Apr 2, 2007
iPhone supports iSync which supports iCal standards. If you can get your contacts in vCards you can just import them into your address book on your mac or PC and sync them with the iPhone.

I have a Palm Treo (and have for years) and have never put numbers and addresses into my phone. I've always just synched my PC/Mac with my new phone to load all the data.

Good thing too, I've got... [checking]... 1100 contacts!

jtlax3

Bronze
May 31, 2007
what if this is going to be your first "smartphone"? Am I really going to have to transfer my contacts manually?!:mad:

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If you've got GSM, you can save all the numbers to your SIM card, and then they'll be on the iPhone once you've inserted the SIM. After the SIM is inserted, you can then save them to your iPHone memory so you can use all the cutesy little iPhone features.

The SIM actually acts like a little flash drive with a GSM phone.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
When my friend moved from AT&T -> Sprint, the store was able to import the SIM card from the old AT&T phone and put it into the new Sprint one. That worked fine but most people have multiple contacts (say work/cell/home, etc)... so when they showed up on the phone, all of them were individual so we had to upload the whole list to a computer to clean them up.

We could upload all the contacts to the PC just fine but we found out the phone only supported sending one-contact-at-a-time. It was a time-consuming process to say the least. We got it down to about 5 seconds per contact but it was still a pain-in-the-ass.

I think it depends on the Phone but I believe Sprint cripples part of the Bluetooth send/receive capability on their phones so they can offer a service you can upload your contact list to their website (for backup and what not)... if you have a lot of contacts it might be worth it to try that out and see what formats it exports into (especially if you don't have access to a Windows machine). A little prep time now might save you more time later... I think the service is like $5/month or something.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
When my friend moved from AT&T -> Sprint, the store was able to import the SIM card from the old AT&T phone and put it into the new Sprint one. That worked fine but most people have multiple contacts (say work/cell/home, etc)... so when they showed up on the phone, all of them were individual so we had to upload the whole list to a computer to clean them up.

We could upload all the contacts to the PC just fine but we found out the phone only supported sending one-contact-at-a-time. It was a time-consuming process to say the least. We got it down to about 5 seconds per contact but it was still a pain-in-the-ass.

I think it depends on the Phone but I believe Sprint cripples part of the Bluetooth send/receive capability on their phones so they can offer a service you can upload your contact list to their website (for backup and what not)... if you have a lot of contacts it might be worth it to try that out and see what formats it exports into (especially if you don't have access to a Windows machine). A little prep time now might save you more time later... I think the service is like $5/month or something.
Well, Sprint being a CDMA network doesn't use SIM cards. ONly GSM and IDEN (Nextel) use SIM cards that I know of and they're not interchangeable.

Sprint and Verizon both disable the OBEX bluetooth abilities in their phones. They want you to use their services and charge you for each use. That's why you can't share custom ringtones with Sprint or Verizon users. While you can send a ringtone or picture to someone on Cingular/At&t and T-Mobile through a bluetooth connection, you can't do that with Sprint or Verizon.

Once again, it just comes down to good ol' fashioned greed.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
If they disabled object exchange on my buddy's phone they sure didn't do a very good job. We figured out we're able to upload our own ringtones and such just by changing the file extension... and like I said, bluetooth works—you can upload en masse but you can only upload one contact at a time.

So whether it's a fluke or Sprint is changing their policies.. who knows..

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
If they disabled object exchange on my buddy's phone they sure didn't do a very good job. We figured out we're able to upload our own ringtones and such just by changing the file extension... and like I said, bluetooth works—you can upload en masse but you can only upload one contact at a time.

So whether it's a fluke or Sprint is changing their policies.. who knows..
Sprint and Verizon don't sell phone book contacts.;) They're only concern is with blocking the sharing of premium content like ringtones and wallpapers. They want to get the $2.99/ringtone instead of letting you edit your .mp3s from your computer with audacity or MPT and then sharing them with all your buds for free with a bluetooth connection. The people that create their own ringtones and put them on their phones, is probably a pretty small number compared to the total number of people that buy custom ringtones. It's just that Verizon and Sprint want to make sure that this doesn't occur.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
Totally agree... Verizon especially. They disable features so they can nickel and dime you later with their own services. As if they don't make enough money on service.