Phone will not turn on anymore.. Help Please!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by merlconn13, Dec 6, 2010.

1. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

have a 3gs and my battery was almost dead, i'd say about 20 percent or so. so as im on my way to work i was texting and it was fine. when i go to work to plug it in to charge, the phone was off and would not turn back on. not even after its been sitting on the charger for hours. hard reset does nothing. its just a black screen. theres no way the battery is shot. my original iPhone still works if i charge it. anyone have any ideas? thanks

2. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

Does the iPhone show up in iTunes if you connect it to a PC/Mac?

3. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

not at all. the phone is just off and wont turn on no matter what. the only thing i can say that was odd before it happened was when charging with my charger it was saying the charging isn't supported with this acessory or whatever it says, but once i unplugged it and plugged it back in it would charge. also there would be delays from when pressing the on/off button to the screen actually coming on to the slide to unlock screen. it was off a few seconds sometimes. these both just recently started like a week ago

4. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

plug it in and try holding the home and lock buttons down together. give it at least 20 seconds or so.

5. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

trust me i've gave it over a minute. that didn't work

6. fearofnormalcy

fearofnormalcy Evangelist
    Gold

I know you said there's no way your battery could be dead, but that's really what it sounds like.

Are you using a standard Apple cable/power cube to charge and/or connect to a power source/PC? That "unsupported" message seems odd. Also, had you recently upgraded the OS? Lastly, are you jailbroken?

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Could be the logic board too. If a hard reset didn't work, I'm not sure there's much else to do apart from surgery.

8. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

not jailbroken everything is all normal. same with the chargers. either way i got an iPhone 4 today now here comes problem two: my back up from last week is on a diff laptop. all the usb slots just stopped working all of a sudden three days ago. how can i get this back up file to my other laptop so i can restore what i at least had up until this week

9. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

thanks a lot for the help. my only prob is my backup is 6.65 GB. i can't share the folder with the other laptop because i cant connect to anything. is there anyother way to do this. i have a dvd burner. do they even make a dvd-r that can hold that?

10. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

Your iPhone backup is 6 GB? Jeez.

Yes, you can get a dual-layer DVD-R that will hold ~8GB.

11. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Do you (or a friend) have any cloud based services (iDisk or Dropbox) that might accommodate your transfer?
    Edit: Or Shared Files on the same network.

12. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

Do I need to be hooked up to the Internet or a network for those? Like I said every slot on this laptop is shot including the Ethernet slot, and so is the wireless card. All I have is a burner that will work.

13. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Well you've answered your own question. Burn onto DVD or remove the hard drive and get a USB hard drive reader to remove the data.

14. merlconn13

merlconn13 Member
    Bronze

Ok everything is fine. I just lost whatever texts and pics I took last week which I can deal with. Next issue are my apps. I'm burning them onto a DVD just like I did the back up file. Can I just drop them into the new laptop folder and they will be recognized in iTunes?

15. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

In iTunes, go to file->add folder to iTunes,mand then choose the folder of apps on your DVD.

All you have to do then is make sure iTunes is authorized.

16. mafia_001

mafia_001 Guest

Or get a new usb cable slot.

17. mcquaid1

mcquaid1 Member
    Bronze

Hi guys

A friend of mine who's not too technical have me his phone the other day to fix, it's been broken for about 6 months, just coming up with warning symbol indicating 'connect to iTunes', I've no idea what software this is running but would be reasonably old

Anyone any ideas on what the problem is?

Attached Files:

18. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Just a thought have you connected it to your computer and iTunes?

Sent from my iPhone using

#19 Docd, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
  19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

That screen means the device needs to be restored on a computer. You can do this in iTunes on a Mac or a PC. Post back if iTunes doesn't recognize it or if you get any error codes during the restore and we'll advise you from there.