Phone wont charge, nor turn on!

Aug 26, 2009
I had replied to a thread with a similar issue as mine, however, I fear it is being overlooked. I apologize ahead of time for this double post. The following is my issue, if someone could help I would appreciate it. If no one can help with my issue I will have to try to swap the phone out... Will I be out of luck since my phone is Jailbroke?

Monday night I plugged my phone into the charger, which is plugged to the wall, before I went to bed. The phone had over 40% battery when I plugged it in.

Yesterday morning I get up and the only thing I see on the phone is the battery symbol with a small sliver of red, and a lightning bolt under.

When I unplug the phone it shuts off completely, no symbol or anything.

I spent all day yesterday and all day today trying to figure our my problem, with no solutions working. I have found this problem pop up all over the net with many different suggestions to fix it, nothing worked.

Some of the things I tried were the hard reset, plugging it in and restarting the computer. I tried plugging it into a MAC, 2 different PC's. I tried using two different USB cords as well as my car charger. I left it plugged in again all last night too... Nothing has worked.

I tried the above suggestion for hold the rest buttons for five minutes, still no go.

When I plug it in to the PC iTunes nor my computer recognizes it, although the battery symbol does show up. I was able to get it into DFU mode, there iTunes does recognize it and offers to restore the iPhone. However, every tiime I try it attempts to restore then gives me a 1601 error. I tried the restore on a 2nd PC and it too gave the same error.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

If not, and I call Apple to swap this out, am I screwed because it is Jailbroken? Will they even know? Will they send me the replacement before I send this one out, or will they receive it then send out the phone?

By the way it is 3GS with the 3.0.1 OS, and I have had it for 6 weeks.

Help is much appreciated.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
How far along does it get in the restore process before giving you that error code?

Have you tried restoring it in DFU mode with a brand new factory Apple iPhone USB cable?

After that, try reinstalling iTunes, then creating a new user and restoring logged in under the new user, and then restoring in Safe Mode.

If none of those work, take it into Apple for a replacement. I don't think the fact that it was jailbroken will prevent you from getting a replacement. The first reason being that it won't turn on, they can't easily see that it's jailbroken. Second, if the restore process started (even though it didn't complete), the jailbreak was probably removed, so they most likely won't be able to tell that it was jailbroken when they connect it and pull it up on their computers.

Aug 26, 2009
The restore had extracted the software and verified with Apple, after that the screen on the iPhone turned greyish and after a few minutes the failure occurred.

I have tried restoring after reinstalling iTunes, but not as a new user. I will give that a go. I have not tried it in safe mode either. If those don't work I will get a new USB cable tomorrow. There is no Apple store where I live, I will have to call em up, will they send me the new phone first or will I have to wait for them to receive my phone then get the new one in the mail?

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Ok, you should be good to go with a return then.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they'll send you a new one and you return the old one in the same box. Either way, they are very fast.

Aug 26, 2009
I tried the new user suggestion, that didn't work. I also tried to do it in safe mode, but I couldn't launch iTunes while in safe mode, so no go there either... I am thinking this has got to be a freak hardware thing. I am gonna have to buck up and take the chance with Apple. Thanks for the help, and if there are any other suggestions please let me know!

Saurabh

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
VA
Hmm well you have two options, either keep tring to make it work, because in the condition its in, theres no signs of it jailbroken. but if Apple geniuses get it to work you will be SOL. Id try DFU mode a few more times and try the holding of the power button and home for a good minute. See what happens and let us know. There must be a tutorial for DFU mode somewhere here.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
Hmm well you have two options, either keep tring to make it work, because in the condition its in, theres no signs of it jailbroken. but if Apple geniuses get it to work you will be SOL. Id try DFU mode a few more times and try the holding of the power button and home for a good minute. See what happens and let us know. There must be a tutorial for DFU mode somewhere here.

Dag on! I just answered his question in a different post. I thought since the phone wouldn't come on that the Geniuses couldn't do anything with it and they could swap it out for him. So there must be a greater chance than not for them to get the phone to come on even if he cannot. Dag on it! Oh man I wish you luck! In my answer to him in the other post I suggested he go ahead and get a case and eventually go in and get the phone swapped out. I'm sorry. I hope something works for him soon. A brick is a horrible thing to have.

The only thing I can suggest is that if he gets the phone working. Take the JB off and swap that phone out and get a new one cause this one has caused enough problems and maybe he can start fresh.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
The restore had extracted the software and verified with Apple, after that the screen on the iPhone turned greyish and after a few minutes the failure occurred.

I have tried restoring after reinstalling iTunes, but not as a new user. I will give that a go. I have not tried it in safe mode either. If those don't work I will get a new USB cable tomorrow. There is no Apple store where I live, I will have to call em up, will they send me the new phone first or will I have to wait for them to receive my phone then get the new one in the mail?
You can either have them send you just the return package out to put your phone in or send back or you can choose to have the phone sent to you first with the return package and they put a $700 charge on your credit card till they recive the phone back. This costs £29 in the UK to get the phone sent out first. Not sure how much it costs in the US or any other country.

Also note that if you want to do this you must have a credit card as I was going to do it when my 3GS broke but there system doesn't accept visa debit card only credit cards.

Aug 26, 2009
Hey guys thanks for the replies... I have to say this whole thing is a big pain in the but. I switched form Verizon just to get this phone, and the switch was definitely a rough process... Now this stupid issue is popping up!

I am going to try over and over again to DFU the phone in hopes one of these times it finally works, but I am not optimistic...

I have no Apple Store near me, so if I do switch I am going to have to replace through the phone. When they put the charge on my car, if when they receive the phone they determine it is a JB phone are they going to keep that entire charge on my card? I cannot afford $700 on top of everything I paid just for a new phone... If they will keep my money I would just rather try to figure this out myself.

I do know there is no damage to the phone, and I did nothing to cause this. It was working fine the night before, then bam this happened... The phone still looks brand new... ARGH! I will respond to this post with my update as I have one....

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
The charge is for if you do not send your iPhone back after they have sent you the replacement phone.

So if they determin it is jailbroken I think they will just tell you to send the replacement back and they will send you the JB one and tell you that they arent going to fix it or anything.

If you don't send the replacement back when they have said they won't take your JB one then they will charge you the $700

Aug 26, 2009
I finally received my replacement phone today. I have to now send back the old phone, which may actually still be jailbroke, but since I cannot connect to it at all I have to just hope they cannot either!

In any event, i would like to jailbreak this new one again, but I am hesitant. I do not want this to happen to the new phone as well. Do you all think my problem was due to the jailbreak or something else? It was working just fine for four weeks before it broke on the last jailbroken phone...

Thoughts? Should I jailbreak now, or stay safe?

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I'm sure this is not a popular reply, but I would stay safe. I would not jailbreak just yet. This is coming from a non-Jailbreak iPhone 3GS owner. I have never jailbroken my phone nor the 3G I had.

I would just stay on the safe side until this whole transaction is complete. You sent in your other phone to Apple, so I am guessing they put a hold on your credit card. Unless you did it a different way, let me know. But, I would just wait until the hold on my CC was off before I went on ahead and jailbroke this new phone.

I do understand how AWESOME jailbreaking is and everything. I've seen the cool things that can be done so I can't imagine going from having all that to just a stock iPhone. But I think its safer for now.

I am glad you got a new iPhone though! Nothing like owning a brick. Totally not fun!

Let me know what you think.

RossMc

Zealot
Gold
Jun 28, 2009
Newcastle, UK
If Apple has put a hold on your card and find out it was jailbroken I think that they will charge you. It says on their website

Not about Jailbreaking as a specific but if the user has interfeared with the phone in anyway then they are unable to repair it then the charge will be processed.

Edit :

1. Under what circumstances would Apple charge me the Replacement Value?

Apple will charge you the Replacement Value either if Apple does not receive your original iPhone within 10 days of shipping the replacement to you, OR if Apple receives your original, determines that is ineligible for service under the warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan AND it is ineligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) service.
    For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for OOW service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
If Apple has put a hold on your card and find out it was jailbroken I think that they will charge you. It says on their website

Not about Jailbreaking as a specific but if the user has interfeared with the phone in anyway then they are unable to repair it then the charge will be processed.

Edit :

1. Under what circumstances would Apple charge me the Replacement Value?

Apple will charge you the Replacement Value either if Apple does not receive your original iPhone within 10 days of shipping the replacement to you, OR if Apple receives your original, determines that is ineligible for service under the warranty or the AppleCare Protection Plan AND it is ineligible for Out-of-Warranty (OOW) service.
    For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for OOW service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications.
Oh in that case. Go on ahead and Jailbreak and get comfortable with your new phone.

fletcher11

Bronze
Dec 21, 2008
i had this happen to me i was sending a text message and it shut off and they when ever i tried to charge it it showed the batter in the red and a lightning bolt under it and it would not charge or turn on, i have now sent it to Apple and they said they think its a hardware problem or battery problem, im due to get mine back today.